Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Geneva North Neighborhoods ?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva North Neighborhoods ?

Hi all!

I am relocating to Geneva and will start visiting apartments soon. interested in the North neighborhoods and Servette (near international organizations)

I see many classifieds for the Servette area and the north of Cornavin station.

Are there some areas to avoid ?

Is the Servette side near Grand Pré better than the western side (Rue de Lyon) ?

Any insights is welcome!

Best

antonio

The text you are quoting:

Hi all!

I am relocating to Geneva and will start visiting apartments soon. interested in the North neighborhoods and Servette (near international organizations)

I see many classifieds for the Servette area and the north of Cornavin station.

Are there some areas to avoid ?

Is the Servette side near Grand Pré better than the western side (Rue de Lyon) ?

Any insights is welcome!

Best

antonio

Antonio JJul 22, 2010 @ 11:18
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 2741 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva North Neighborhoods ?
Post 1

Thats close to where i live. Dont worry is a very good area i would say. A bit busy in the mornings though because of the traffic

Thats close to where i live. Dont worry is a very good area i would say. A bit busy in the mornings though because of the traffic

Maria_, Jul 22, 2010 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In general, there are no unsafe areas in Geneva. Servette is good, it's popular and international (UN employees as well as portuguese and brazilian immigrants), with supermarkets and small neighbourhood restaurants. There are certainly a few busy roads but they're not busy non stop for 24 hours a day. It's close to the train station and has usually good connections to the airport. It's not a "posh" neighbourhood - everybody mixes and mingles. No big nightlife - but Geneva is small. Several nice parks. I love it here! But - don't even dream of having a car here unless you're able to rent a parking space - parking outside is a nightmare.

And - something else: the housing situation is so desperate that I wouldn't even ask about where exactly in Servette would be good - anything is good.

In general, there are no unsafe areas in Geneva. Servette is good, it's popular and international (UN employees as well as portuguese and brazilian immigrants), with supermarkets and small neighbourhood restaurants. There are certainly a few busy roads but they're not busy non stop for 24 hours a day. It's close to the train station and has usually good connections to the airport. It's not a "posh" neighbourhood - everybody mixes and mingles. No big nightlife - but Geneva is small. Several nice parks. I love it here! But - don't even dream of having a car here unless you're able to rent a parking space - parking outside is a nightmare.

And - something else: the housing situation is so desperate that I wouldn't even ask about where exactly in Servette would be good - anything is good.

eva77, Jul 22, 2010 @ 14:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

thanks a lot for your answers!

This community is great!

It's always better to get answer from locals
because when I googled it I saw plenty of reports about insecurity and dealers in Servette

but I guess everything is relative in Geneva to other European cities!

I am considering the side of servette near Grand Pre because the line 8 of the bus takes me directly to Cornavin and to international organization

Unless someone on this forum would suggest to avoid the Grand Pre area in particular

thanks a lot for your answers!

This community is great!

It's always better to get answer from locals
because when I googled it I saw plenty of reports about insecurity and dealers in Servette

but I guess everything is relative in Geneva to other European cities!

I am considering the side of servette near Grand Pre because the line 8 of the bus takes me directly to Cornavin and to international organization

Unless someone on this forum would suggest to avoid the Grand Pre area in particular

Antonio J, Jul 22, 2010 @ 17:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

SERVETTE is not a bad area, is sort of a brazilian portuguese area but in a way is good because is colorful and has certain ethnic touch to it.

is not an posh neighborhood, rather an immigrant working class one...... it can be loud and busy with traffic.

servette can be unsafe but this is geneva switzerland, not some crime ridden city in some country somewhere.... regular precautions will be enough.

if you're looking for bit more pricey and cleaner but still close to the uN and rue de grand pre etc... I recommend the area around planet charmille it's more clean and less ethnic if u wanna call it like that.

SERVETTE is not a bad area, is sort of a brazilian portuguese area but in a way is good because is colorful and has certain ethnic touch to it.

is not an posh neighborhood, rather an immigrant working class one...... it can be loud and busy with traffic.

servette can be unsafe but this is geneva switzerland, not some crime ridden city in some country somewhere.... regular precautions will be enough.

if you're looking for bit more pricey and cleaner but still close to the uN and rue de grand pre etc... I recommend the area around planet charmille it's more clean and less ethnic if u wanna call it like that.

andy o, Jul 23, 2010 @ 02:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

If you don't find what you want there, it's also worth considering Ferney-Voltaire, just over the border in France. Although it's a bit further out, there's still a direct bus that gets you to the UN area in 15min, and to the airport (and its train station) in 10.

Ferney has shops, supermarkets, bars, and a great market, although for nightlife of course it's better to go into Geneva.

The main thing is that you get a lot more for your money here - I rent a bungalow with a garage and a large garden, for the same price I would pay for a 2-bed flat in Geneva.

If you don't find what you want there, it's also worth considering Ferney-Voltaire, just over the border in France. Although it's a bit further out, there's still a direct bus that gets you to the UN area in 15min, and to the airport (and its train station) in 10.

Ferney has shops, supermarkets, bars, and a great market, although for nightlife of course it's better to go into Geneva.

The main thing is that you get a lot more for your money here - I rent a bungalow with a garage and a large garden, for the same price I would pay for a 2-bed flat in Geneva.

adam_jeff, Jul 23, 2010 @ 09:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions!!!!

Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions!!!!

Jean Mina, Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I am also in the same boat

I am also in the same boat

Jean Mina, Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I live in Servette (actually looking to let the apartment I'm in) and it's fine.  As people have said, it's not posh nor does it have a good cafe or nightlife culture.  But it's a nice neighborhood with large, decent priced apartments close to the Gare.  You should have no issues with safety that would wouldn't have anywhere else in the city.

I live in Servette (actually looking to let the apartment I'm in) and it's fine.  As people have said, it's not posh nor does it have a good cafe or nightlife culture.  But it's a nice neighborhood with large, decent priced apartments close to the Gare.  You should have no issues with safety that would wouldn't have anywhere else in the city.

JMfromTO, Jul 23, 2010 @ 17:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 2741 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form