Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Help: Termination of fixed-term lease not possible?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Help: Termination of fixed-term lease not possible?

Hello, 

I know that I can turn to ASLOCA for help with legal questions, however if i pay for their membership now than i will only have it until the 31. December, and have to get it again next year, so I am turning here. 

To recap my situation: I moved to Geneva in October, and since my work contract is until August 2024, my landlord and i agreed to do a fixed term contract. I rent a room in a house, and the house is shared between me and two others. When i talked to my landlord at first and i told her I was cautious signing into a contract to live with people for 10 months without knowing them, she told me that there was still the 3 months notice period so i could cancel my contract, and that if I find someone to replace me I could leave sooner. 

Now I am planning on leaving my accomidation, and looking for someone to take it over, and have not been successful yet. so when i told my landlord about my plans and asked her again about my notice period and she said that with fixed term contract there is no way for me to cancel and exit the contract beforehand. Is this true? I signed as i was told I still had a cancellation period, but now I don`t? 

The text you are quoting:

Hello, 

I know that I can turn to ASLOCA for help with legal questions, however if i pay for their membership now than i will only have it until the 31. December, and have to get it again next year, so I am turning here. 

To recap my situation: I moved to Geneva in October, and since my work contract is until August 2024, my landlord and i agreed to do a fixed term contract. I rent a room in a house, and the house is shared between me and two others. When i talked to my landlord at first and i told her I was cautious signing into a contract to live with people for 10 months without knowing them, she told me that there was still the 3 months notice period so i could cancel my contract, and that if I find someone to replace me I could leave sooner. 

Now I am planning on leaving my accomidation, and looking for someone to take it over, and have not been successful yet. so when i told my landlord about my plans and asked her again about my notice period and she said that with fixed term contract there is no way for me to cancel and exit the contract beforehand. Is this true? I signed as i was told I still had a cancellation period, but now I don`t? 

Anja SDec 20, 2023 @ 11:25
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

1 Replies | 435 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: Help: Termination of fixed-term lease not possible?
Post 1

Asloca membership is chf75. Money well spent in my opinion, they have helped me many times.

The text you are quoting:

Asloca membership is chf75. Money well spent in my opinion, they have helped me many times.

Sean C, Dec 25, 2023 @ 18:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
1 Replies | 435 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form