Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Help with producing an audio file?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Help with producing an audio file?
Hi,

Have a Mac and wish to make an audio file to send to someone else. (If possible to be accessible for both Mac and PC).

Someone was going to help me do this, but due to unfortunate circumstances, this has not been possible.

Would be very grateful for anyone's help.

Afraid not very computer-oriented so any instructions would have to be simple..

Thanks in advance for any advice forthcoming..
The text you are quoting:
Hi,

Have a Mac and wish to make an audio file to send to someone else. (If possible to be accessible for both Mac and PC).

Someone was going to help me do this, but due to unfortunate circumstances, this has not been possible.

Would be very grateful for anyone's help.

Afraid not very computer-oriented so any instructions would have to be simple..

Thanks in advance for any advice forthcoming..
TogJayJul 19, 2009 @ 14:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 747 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Help with producing an audio file?
Post 1
TJ: Wish I had that knowledge myself. If / when you find someone willing to help you, would you mind if I join you on the training session to learn it myself too?

Thanks,

Nir

TJ: Wish I had that knowledge myself. If / when you find someone willing to help you, would you mind if I join you on the training session to learn it myself too?

Thanks,

Nir
Nir Ofek, Jul 20, 2009 @ 00:44

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
You wish to make an audio file from what? A recording from a microphone? A track off of a CD? It's really easy but it really depends on where the audio is supposed to come from. If you want to send them uncompressed audio files, it's best to use wav or aif formats, as those are supported on Macs and PCs. If you want to send them a compressed audio file, you can use LAME and a lot of other encoders to turn an audio file into an MP3. Either way the file may be too big to send via email as an attachment, but you can use a service like www.yousendit.com to send them the file.
You wish to make an audio file from what? A recording from a microphone? A track off of a CD? It's really easy but it really depends on where the audio is supposed to come from. If you want to send them uncompressed audio files, it's best to use wav or aif formats, as those are supported on Macs and PCs. If you want to send them a compressed audio file, you can use LAME and a lot of other encoders to turn an audio file into an MP3. Either way the file may be too big to send via email as an attachment, but you can use a service like www.yousendit.com to send them the file.
gkellum, Jul 20, 2009 @ 01:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Nir, thank you for making me feel less inadequate with my question.

From the reply above, looks like we both are in luck and have a reply on this from someone that knows what he is talking about.

gkellum, Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I was wanting to record something directly from my computer via USB microphone, which I wished to forward to others.

Relatively short maybe this first time.. maybe ?5 minutes max.. via a USB microphone.

Thank you for the details of the file types necessary to use, that's really important.

Tried to lo look up more about this on the computer this afternoon.

Do I understand correctly I have to download something like Quick time pro 7 ?

Have you any other advice about the procedure. Bearing in mind, again, that I am easily confused where computers are concerned?

I would wish to send them via email if possible. I'll have to look up those compressed files you mentioned to see what they are. Would I need to install extra software in order to produce them??

Nir, thank you for making me feel less inadequate with my question.

From the reply above, looks like we both are in luck and have a reply on this from someone that knows what he is talking about.

gkellum, Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I was wanting to record something directly from my computer via USB microphone, which I wished to forward to others.

Relatively short maybe this first time.. maybe ?5 minutes max.. via a USB microphone.

Thank you for the details of the file types necessary to use, that's really important.

Tried to lo look up more about this on the computer this afternoon.

Do I understand correctly I have to download something like Quick time pro 7 ?

Have you any other advice about the procedure. Bearing in mind, again, that I am easily confused where computers are concerned?

I would wish to send them via email if possible. I'll have to look up those compressed files you mentioned to see what they are. Would I need to install extra software in order to produce them??

TogJay, Jul 20, 2009 @ 02:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hi

You don't need to down load anything, all is in your mac already. You can use garage band to capture the audio (do it all the time) and then you can send it to itunes (through garage band) and with itunes you can convert it to MP3.

If you like we can meet up and I'll show you how to do it.

Simon (mac user)
Hi

You don't need to down load anything, all is in your mac already. You can use garage band to capture the audio (do it all the time) and then you can send it to itunes (through garage band) and with itunes you can convert it to MP3.

If you like we can meet up and I'll show you how to do it.

Simon (mac user)
DJ_Symcard, Jul 20, 2009 @ 05:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
OH.. dj_symcard, that would be wonderful :), and greatly appreciated if you could do that.

I've looked at garageband and would welcome your help on how to use it properly.. Also, amongst other things I don't really see how to export by email..

Anyway, I have plenty of free time at the moment (apart from Monday and Wednesday evenings).

When would it suit you?

Maybe see with Nir, when it would suit him, too? He says above he wants to learn that too.

(*Just a reminder where I am concerned.. to be sure you realize again.. that I am rather technically challenged where computers are concerned!)
OH.. dj_symcard, that would be wonderful :), and greatly appreciated if you could do that.

I've looked at garageband and would welcome your help on how to use it properly.. Also, amongst other things I don't really see how to export by email..

Anyway, I have plenty of free time at the moment (apart from Monday and Wednesday evenings).

When would it suit you?

Maybe see with Nir, when it would suit him, too? He says above he wants to learn that too.

(*Just a reminder where I am concerned.. to be sure you realize again.. that I am rather technically challenged where computers are concerned!)
TogJay, Jul 20, 2009 @ 13:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
TJ, Sim: if you guys are getting together, I'd love to join, anytime!

I'm sure TJ would be more than happy to buy us a coffee for the meeting. It would a small thanks to Dj_Sim for his time, and a small thanks to me for making TJ see there is someone with even less tech skills out there than himself!

TJ, Sim: if you guys are getting together, I'd love to join, anytime!

I'm sure TJ would be more than happy to buy us a coffee for the meeting. It would a small thanks to Dj_Sim for his time, and a small thanks to me for making TJ see there is someone with even less tech skills out there than himself!
Nir Ofek, Jul 20, 2009 @ 14:00

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Just to add, I am also free during the day quite a lot at the moment, and I could travel to meet you to learn this, wherever you wished, with no difficulty.

Whatever is easiest for you (or Nir and you).
Just to add, I am also free during the day quite a lot at the moment, and I could travel to meet you to learn this, wherever you wished, with no difficulty.

Whatever is easiest for you (or Nir and you).
TogJay, Jul 20, 2009 @ 14:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Nir, didn't see your message above, before I posted mine.. our postings must have crossed.

Oh absolutely, the coffee (or whatever) is on me and I am already very grateful to you both .
Nir, didn't see your message above, before I posted mine.. our postings must have crossed.

Oh absolutely, the coffee (or whatever) is on me and I am already very grateful to you both .
TogJay, Jul 20, 2009 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Hi Guys

I'm free most of the time. Nir when would suit you best?
Hi Guys

I'm free most of the time. Nir when would suit you best?
DJ_Symcard, Jul 20, 2009 @ 16:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Yikes..!

Just remembered.. apart from Mon and Wed evenings, (I have to be free from 17.00 onwards both those days), I will not be in Geneva tomorrow during the day (Tues, 21st July) .. But I realize that that may be too soon for you both anyway.

Otherwise than that at present, for me, whenever and wherever suits you both..

(* and to Nir.. realize I didn't reply to what you said above.. I am sure that I will definitely be the thickest one, where computers are concerned..! Not only am I grateful to DJ_Symcard in advance, but to coin a phrase, he will probably deserve a medal at the end of it.)
Yikes..!

Just remembered.. apart from Mon and Wed evenings, (I have to be free from 17.00 onwards both those days), I will not be in Geneva tomorrow during the day (Tues, 21st July) .. But I realize that that may be too soon for you both anyway.

Otherwise than that at present, for me, whenever and wherever suits you both..

(* and to Nir.. realize I didn't reply to what you said above.. I am sure that I will definitely be the thickest one, where computers are concerned..! Not only am I grateful to DJ_Symcard in advance, but to coin a phrase, he will probably deserve a medal at the end of it.)
TogJay, Jul 20, 2009 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Ok Shall we say Friday 24th 19:00 at starbuks by the station?
Ok Shall we say Friday 24th 19:00 at starbuks by the station?
DJ_Symcard, Jul 20, 2009 @ 16:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 747 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form