Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Hiking and Biking around Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hiking and Biking around Geneva?
Howdy folks :)

So now that Spring is in the air, I am wondering what there is to do around Geneva terms of outdoor activities?

Are there well-maintained hiking trails nearby for a day-hike?

Is there a place to rent a bicycle for a day, and are there some good bike paths?

I'm looking for some fun activities to do during the upcoming weekends ;)

Thanks,

Adam
The text you are quoting:
Howdy folks :)

So now that Spring is in the air, I am wondering what there is to do around Geneva terms of outdoor activities?

Is there a place to rent a bicycle for a day, and are there some good bike paths?

Thanks,

Adam
JustAdamApr 21, 2009 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 2227 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hiking and Biking around Geneva?
Post 1
[quote]Howdy folks :)

Thanks,

Adam[/quote]

For a cheap bike, try: www.geneveroule.ch

For something better for a few days ride: www.bikeswitzerlandrentals.com
[quote]Howdy folks :)

Thanks,

Adam[/quote]

For a cheap bike, try: www.geneveroule.ch

For something better for a few days ride: www.bikeswitzerlandrentals.com
BikeCH, Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
there are many bike routes plans you can find at the office de tourisme for exemple or check this out:

http://www.ville-ge.ch/geneve/amenagement/site_info-velo/carte_publication.html#1

there are many bike routes plans you can find at the office de tourisme for exemple or check this out:

http://www.ville-ge.ch/geneve/amenagement/site_info-velo/carte_publication.html#1

happy4u, Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:13

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Here's an abstract from my bookmarks (hopefuly up to date, but I did not check all links.

Hiking sites

AEM - Rando Jura

AGAS.

AJTP - Rando Jura

AREF Réseau équestre Franches-Montagnes

AVTP - Association Vaudoise de Tourisme Pédestre Balades.ch

CAS - Club Alpin Suisse

CAS - La Dôle

Georando

Grandes Traversées du Jura (GTJ) : randonnées itinérantes, gites et séjours(ski, vtt, à pied)

Grandeur Nature - Organiastionde randos

Jura Randonnées

Le Monde de l’âne Internet

Oxygène 74

Rando Fribourg

Randoretraite - Randalp

Rando Romandie

RandoValais

RandonneeRandonature

Randonnée et Montagne [hikr.org]

Randonneurs 20-40

Swisshiking.ch

Vingt randonnées à découvrir

Hikes

01 - Le sentier de l'eau

01 - Randos avec Francis

01 - Reculet et Crêt de laNeige / Ain

74 - Le Môle / Haute-Savoie

VD - Chemin des fontaines des bois du Jorat

VD - FR Moléson,Vaud-Fribourg

VD - St Cergue - le Reculet

VD - Tour des Alpes Vaudoises
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Sort of off-topic, but not really: I just literally learned how to bike for the first time, but I'm a little too intimidated to do it on my own just yet (unless it's an abandoned road, of which there seem to be none in Paquis where I live). So if anyone reading this thread will be going for some (fairly easy) rides and wouldn't mind me tagging along, just let me know and I'll be a come-with girl! I'm most freaked out by heavy traffic roads, but I know I need to go out more and eventually I'll be fine on my own... but I need the practice!
Sort of off-topic, but not really: I just literally learned how to bike for the first time, but I'm a little too intimidated to do it on my own just yet (unless it's an abandoned road, of which there seem to be none in Paquis where I live). So if anyone reading this thread will be going for some (fairly easy) rides and wouldn't mind me tagging along, just let me know and I'll be a come-with girl! I'm most freaked out by heavy traffic roads, but I know I need to go out more and eventually I'll be fine on my own... but I need the practice!
afrochick, Apr 21, 2009 @ 16:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Thanks everyone for the good info. I stopped by the Tourist Office yesterday and picked up a bike map.. it's in French, but I think I can follow along :)

Free, thanks for all of the useful links!
Thanks everyone for the good info. I stopped by the Tourist Office yesterday and picked up a bike map.. it's in French, but I think I can follow along :)

Free, thanks for all of the useful links!
JustAdam, Apr 22, 2009 @ 11:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Hiya, if you want to do some hiking, there is a great place in the French Alps, in Samoens, less than an hour's drive from Geneva. They have actually organised a hiking week if you are intersted coming up soon, and there are 4 places left:Book quick if you are interested!

Alpine Hiking Holiday 30st May to the 6th June

The Alps are stunning and on our doorstep! Our exclusive guided hiking holidays are based out of La Source, a 5* eco-lodge on the edge of one of France’s largest Nature Reserves. We offer the opportunity to get into the heart of the mountains and learn about the flora and fauna with our wonderful local guide, Aga. The hikes get more challenging throughout the week giving time to acclimatise. We visit canyons, world heritage sites, mountain lakes, summer farming hamlets, and spend 2 nights in a refuge. 5 people minimum.

€590 per person shared/ €680 single

All courses include:

7 nights of 5***** accommodation in The Barn

2 nights accommodation and dinner in a mountain refuge

2 nights in the Wood fired Hot Tub

Local transport

4 days with local professional Walking Mountain Guide

Not included

Optional breakfast (€7) hill picnics (€8) dinner (€20). Self-catering in the Farmhouse is also possible.

Getting here: We recommend having a car to give you bit more independence.

If not budget €100 for flight to Geneva and €100 each for local shuttles and return airport transfers.

The nearest train station is Cluses, Hautes Savoie.

Next one: 19th-26th June, 2009

Saskia McCallum

La Source

La Combe

Samoens

Hautes Savoie

France

[email protected]

www.sourcealps.com

+33 (0) 9 79 68 41 82

+33 (0) 6 33 34 68 03

Mention you saw this on Glocals!

Hiya, if you want to do some hiking, there is a great place in the French Alps, in Samoens, less than an hour's drive from Geneva. They have actually organised a hiking week if you are intersted coming up soon, and there are 4 places left:Book quick if you are interested!

Alpine Hiking Holiday 30st May to the 6th June

The Alps are stunning and on our doorstep! Our exclusive guided hiking holidays are based out of La Source, a 5* eco-lodge on the edge of one of France’s largest Nature Reserves. We offer the opportunity to get into the heart of the mountains and learn about the flora and fauna with our wonderful local guide, Aga. The hikes get more challenging throughout the week giving time to acclimatise. We visit canyons, world heritage sites, mountain lakes, summer farming hamlets, and spend 2 nights in a refuge. 5 people minimum.

€590 per person shared/ €680 single

All courses include:

7 nights of 5***** accommodation in The Barn

2 nights accommodation and dinner in a mountain refuge

2 nights in the Wood fired Hot Tub

Local transport

4 days with local professional Walking Mountain Guide

Not included

Optional breakfast (€7) hill picnics (€8) dinner (€20). Self-catering in the Farmhouse is also possible.

Getting here: We recommend having a car to give you bit more independence.

If not budget €100 for flight to Geneva and €100 each for local shuttles and return airport transfers.

The nearest train station is Cluses, Hautes Savoie.

Next one: 19th-26th June, 2009

Saskia McCallum

La Source

La Combe

Samoens

Hautes Savoie

France

[email protected]

www.sourcealps.com

+33 (0) 9 79 68 41 82

+33 (0) 6 33 34 68 03

Mention you saw this on Glocals!

Kira, May 4, 2009 @ 19:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Hello, the easiest from Geneva is the Saleve (bike, hike) or the paths along the Arve (bike, run). I just did 2 hours tonight along the river after work. It goes for ever and it is pretty (wood stairs and bridges, speed, little hills, technical portions...you start from the Bois de la Battie, you get to the zoo, along the cemetery, and down towards the river...through the foret Onesienne and so on.

The Saleve must be 15m away from Jonction on your bike. Meaning you can start from where you live. It is the closest summit from the Geneva. You can climb it, and some paths are challenging, but you have room to slow down on top. I did 30mn buckle on top in cross country skiing this season to give you an idea of the room you have. It was not equipped but the snow was proper.

For hiking the Mole is very close and very beautiful.  It is wild because the summit itself is not part of a chain of mountain. It is isolated from other summits and protected from construction. There are various path through the forrest that you can enjoy while running, biking, in snowshoes, nordic skiing, free flying and so on. On the longest trail it must represent an 800m+ vertical ascent.

enjoy!:D

Hello, the easiest from Geneva is the Saleve (bike, hike) or the paths along the Arve (bike, run). I just did 2 hours tonight along the river after work. It goes for ever and it is pretty (wood stairs and bridges, speed, little hills, technical portions...you start from the Bois de la Battie, you get to the zoo, along the cemetery, and down towards the river...through the foret Onesienne and so on.

The Saleve must be 15m away from Jonction on your bike. Meaning you can start from where you live. It is the closest summit from the Geneva. You can climb it, and some paths are challenging, but you have room to slow down on top. I did 30mn buckle on top in cross country skiing this season to give you an idea of the room you have. It was not equipped but the snow was proper.

For hiking the Mole is very close and very beautiful.  It is wild because the summit itself is not part of a chain of mountain. It is isolated from other summits and protected from construction. There are various path through the forrest that you can enjoy while running, biking, in snowshoes, nordic skiing, free flying and so on. On the longest trail it must represent an 800m+ vertical ascent.

enjoy!:D
Antoinf, May 7, 2009 @ 23:15

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

good map http://www.campagnon.ch/

And it is the Rhone, not l'Arve after Jonction!:w00t: