Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Housing in France (border Geneva)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Housing in France (border Geneva)

Hi All,

We just arrived in Geneva and looking into buying a house in France. Checked in Ferney-Voltaire, Ornex, Versonnex and want to look at Thoiry. Prices are bit lower there. Does anyone know what is the downside of living in Thoiry? Or have other housing recommendations? Schooling and work is around UNHCR building in Geneva. Thanks!!

Alice

The text you are quoting:

Hi All,

We just arrived in Geneva and looking into buying a house in France. Checked in Ferney-Voltaire, Ornex, Versonnex and want to look at Thoiry. Prices are bit lower there. Does anyone know what is the downside of living in Thoiry? Or have other housing recommendations? Schooling and work is around UNHCR building in Geneva. Thanks!!

Alice

Alice RJun 18, 2010 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 2034 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Housing in France (border Geneva)
Post 1

I have lived in Ferney for a year now and have lived before in Thoiry, although only for six months. There's nothing wrong with Thoiry: it's smaller than Ferney but has a nice Sunday market and the shopping centre Val-Thoiry is close. Of course it is further away from the UN than Ferney. The bus serving Thoiry (Y) recently extended it's route up to Ferney, meaning that it's easier to change to another bus going to Place des Nations plus it goes by the airport, a big bonus. I would opt to live near the centre of Thoiry, Allemogne is dead and the part higher up can be difficult to reach during winter.

I have lived in Ferney for a year now and have lived before in Thoiry, although only for six months. There's nothing wrong with Thoiry: it's smaller than Ferney but has a nice Sunday market and the shopping centre Val-Thoiry is close. Of course it is further away from the UN than Ferney. The bus serving Thoiry (Y) recently extended it's route up to Ferney, meaning that it's easier to change to another bus going to Place des Nations plus it goes by the airport, a big bonus. I would opt to live near the centre of Thoiry, Allemogne is dead and the part higher up can be difficult to reach during winter.

David S, Jun 23, 2010 @ 11:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks so much! Was indeed looking at house high up in Thoiry. Having lived in warm countries mostly I am not used to drive on snow at all. So probably not the best idea living high up.

Thanks!

Thanks so much! Was indeed looking at house high up in Thoiry. Having lived in warm countries mostly I am not used to drive on snow at all. So probably not the best idea living high up.

Thanks!

Alice R, Jun 26, 2010 @ 10:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I'm looking for a rental property in Thoiry. If anyone knows of one please let me know (4 bed with garden close to centre).

Thanks

Olivia

I'm looking for a rental property in Thoiry. If anyone knows of one please let me know (4 bed with garden close to centre).

Thanks

Olivia

Olivia C, Jun 30, 2010 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 2034 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form