Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Initial accomodation upon arriving in Geneva - what did you do?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Initial accomodation upon arriving in Geneva - what did you do?

Hi all,

My wife and I will be arriving in Geneva next month and need to settle on some temporary accomodation until we can sort out a proper apartment and lease.  Our initial thought was to go for a serviced apartment but having a look online has shown that this is going to be an expensive exercise and many are not really that great either.  Money is obviously an issue and if it is going to take us 3 months or more to find an apartment I want to keep the costs down as much as possible.

So what did everyone else do when they first arrived in Geneva?  Is serviced apartment the best/only way to go?  Sublet or flat share seems to be the only other alternative, but is not really something we want to do and is down the list as a last resort really.  What about long term agreements with hotels, is this a viable otpion.

Would really like to hear what other ppls experiences were.

Cheers,

Sam.

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

My wife and I will be arriving in Geneva next month and need to settle on some temporary accomodation until we can sort out a proper apartment and lease.  Our initial thought was to go for a serviced apartment but having a look online has shown that this is going to be an expensive exercise and many are not really that great either.  Money is obviously an issue and if it is going to take us 3 months or more to find an apartment I want to keep the costs down as much as possible.

So what did everyone else do when they first arrived in Geneva?  Is serviced apartment the best/only way to go?  Sublet or flat share seems to be the only other alternative, but is not really something we want to do and is down the list as a last resort really.  What about long term agreements with hotels, is this a viable otpion.

Cheers,

Sam.

Sammy JJun 7, 2010 @ 10:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

18 Replies | 2894 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Initial accomodation upon arriving in Geneva - what did you do?
Post 1

citadines in Ferney Voltaire, France.

citadines in Ferney Voltaire, France.

Susan61, Jun 7, 2010 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi,

try to find something to sublet on ghi (www.ghi.ch).

Otherwise, try with people renting appartments but that is not the best period as holidays start in July.

Otherwise: campsite! ;-)

Probably difficult to find something for 3 months. I think it is a good opportunity for you to try several places in or around geneva!

Good luck!

Steph

Hi,

try to find something to sublet on ghi (www.ghi.ch).

Otherwise, try with people renting appartments but that is not the best period as holidays start in July.

Otherwise: campsite! ;-)

Probably difficult to find something for 3 months. I think it is a good opportunity for you to try several places in or around geneva!

Good luck!

Steph

Steph_007, Jun 7, 2010 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Dear Sammy,

Me and my girlfriend just arrived in Geneva a week ago from Paris. We checked out the ads posted on glocals and were recommended a few apparthotels. One of them seemed nice and the fares are reasonable.

www.residencephilippe.fr

Would you be interested in renting a unfurnished studio of 35m2 in Ferney-Voltaire, starting from July 1st? The rent is EURO 700-750.-, all included. We have an option on that one and could help you to get in touch with the landlady if you like.

Best wishes,
Mathieu

Dear Sammy,

Me and my girlfriend just arrived in Geneva a week ago from Paris. We checked out the ads posted on glocals and were recommended a few apparthotels. One of them seemed nice and the fares are reasonable.

www.residencephilippe.fr

Would you be interested in renting a unfurnished studio of 35m2 in Ferney-Voltaire, starting from July 1st? The rent is EURO 700-750.-, all included. We have an option on that one and could help you to get in touch with the landlady if you like.

Best wishes,
Mathieu

Mathieu Ballu, Jun 10, 2010 @ 08:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hey Mathieu, thanks for the tip.  We will be keeping ourselves to the Geneva city area and surrounds so are not looking for something within Ferney-Voltaire or FR. Thanks for the offer.

What are the rules with subletting in Geneva?  Legality depends on the original lease agreement I assume?  I'm a bit cautious about subletting as I've heard some bad stories from friends (in france) who have arrived to discover the apartment doesn't exist or have landlord problems etc.

Hey Mathieu, thanks for the tip.  We will be keeping ourselves to the Geneva city area and surrounds so are not looking for something within Ferney-Voltaire or FR. Thanks for the offer.

What are the rules with subletting in Geneva?  Legality depends on the original lease agreement I assume?  I'm a bit cautious about subletting as I've heard some bad stories from friends (in france) who have arrived to discover the apartment doesn't exist or have landlord problems etc.

Sammy J, Jun 12, 2010 @ 03:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

In Geneva, someone who wants to sublet his or her apartment has to get written authorization from their landlord/rental agency. The landlord will also ascertain that the subletter is not asking you to pay much more rent than they are paying themselves. You should ensure that they have shown you this authorization before agreeing to anything.

As they remain the principal responsible party for the apartment during the sublet, they may ask you for a deposit and ask you to get insurance in case of damage. 

hope this helps

In Geneva, someone who wants to sublet his or her apartment has to get written authorization from their landlord/rental agency. The landlord will also ascertain that the subletter is not asking you to pay much more rent than they are paying themselves. You should ensure that they have shown you this authorization before agreeing to anything.

As they remain the principal responsible party for the apartment during the sublet, they may ask you for a deposit and ask you to get insurance in case of damage. 

hope this helps

AdeyMakonnen, Jun 12, 2010 @ 10:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi all,

Cheers,

Sam.

Jun 7, 10 10:47

you should check the residences in Geneva, although they r not that cheap.

Nathalie B, Jun 12, 2010 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I just arrived this week and have a furnished apt in Geneva (Acacias) and its been great.  It's not cheap but you could potentially take on the month to month lease after I find a perm. apt.  Its number one on my "to do" list

I just arrived this week and have a furnished apt in Geneva (Acacias) and its been great.  It's not cheap but you could potentially take on the month to month lease after I find a perm. apt.  Its number one on my "to do" list

Julie K, Jun 12, 2010 @ 19:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

hi mathieu!

I'm a french student, and I just join the community because I have to go to geneva. Will your offer for the unfurnished studio be avalable for me too???

I'm going to geneva in 2-3days to find something, and visit.

I'll be waiting for your answer,

cheers

Priscillia

hi mathieu!

I'm a french student, and I just join the community because I have to go to geneva. Will your offer for the unfurnished studio be avalable for me too???

I'm going to geneva in 2-3days to find something, and visit.

I'll be waiting for your answer,

cheers

Priscillia

priscillia A, Jun 14, 2010 @ 08:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Try this site: http://www.gerpar.ch/IndexEn.htm

Try this site: http://www.gerpar.ch/IndexEn.htm

hedacanj, Jun 14, 2010 @ 09:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Jun 12, 10 12:21

What residences are these exactly, do you have any names?

What residences are these exactly, do you have any names?

Sammy J, Jun 15, 2010 @ 09:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

residences mt-blanc http://www.residence-mont-blanc.ch/homepage/homepage.php

cite verdaine http://www.cite-verdaine.ch/

and residence st james http://www.st-james.ch/

residences mt-blanc http://www.residence-mont-blanc.ch/homepage/homepage.php

cite verdaine http://www.cite-verdaine.ch/

and residence st james http://www.st-james.ch/

Nathalie B, Jun 15, 2010 @ 09:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Thanks for those links Nathalie and Lokum, a few of those places were new to me, but WOW some of them can be expensive!

Thanks for those links Nathalie and Lokum, a few of those places were new to me, but WOW some of them can be expensive!

Sammy J, Jun 16, 2010 @ 09:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Stay in a hotel if you can afford...

Be prepared that it may take years in Geneva to get a reasonably priced apartment...

Stay in a hotel if you can afford...

Be prepared that it may take years in Geneva to get a reasonably priced apartment...

Jean j, Jun 17, 2010 @ 22:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I moved 6 times then finally stayed one month in a furnished appartment through an agency - expensive as h*** but it is Geneva :-)

I moved 6 times then finally stayed one month in a furnished appartment through an agency - expensive as h*** but it is Geneva :-)

Caroline K, Jun 17, 2010 @ 22:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

We had a relocation agent show us some options and went with one, a reasonably nice appartment in Plainpalais. Very expensive and the city turned out to be a lot of hassles, with traffic congestion, no parking etc. So as soon as we could we bought an appartment in Bellevue, just outside Geneva. Life's a lot easier now, the monthly cash-out costs are around 30% lower and the appartment is much nicer. Unfortunately buying is not easy either, but for those interested Glocals puts on very good information seminars that explain it all.

For renting, seems there are two separate markets: those for expats who can afford high rents, and those for local Genevois, the bulk of whom cannot.

We had a relocation agent show us some options and went with one, a reasonably nice appartment in Plainpalais. Very expensive and the city turned out to be a lot of hassles, with traffic congestion, no parking etc. So as soon as we could we bought an appartment in Bellevue, just outside Geneva. Life's a lot easier now, the monthly cash-out costs are around 30% lower and the appartment is much nicer. Unfortunately buying is not easy either, but for those interested Glocals puts on very good information seminars that explain it all.

For renting, seems there are two separate markets: those for expats who can afford high rents, and those for local Genevois, the bulk of whom cannot.

Cees K, Jun 17, 2010 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Dear Sammy,

www.residencephilippe.fr

Best wishes,
Mathieu

Jun 10, 10 08:45

dear matthieu,

is your offer for the unfurnished room always avalable ?

thanks, priscillia

dear matthieu,

is your offer for the unfurnished room always avalable ?

thanks, priscillia

priscillia A, Jun 20, 2010 @ 15:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

My company rented me a furnished apartment through homesweethome.ch

My company rented me a furnished apartment through homesweethome.ch

Leon J, Jun 20, 2010 @ 18:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Here are a few other residences -- these are in Divonne and are less expensive than those in Geneva.

www.homebusiness.fr

www.citea.com

www.hotel-residences.com

Here are a few other residences -- these are in Divonne and are less expensive than those in Geneva.

www.homebusiness.fr

www.citea.com

www.hotel-residences.com

Barak Richman, Jun 21, 2010 @ 15:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
18 Replies | 2894 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form