Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Is my rent deposit safe?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Is my rent deposit safe?

I have been offered an official sublet (Regie is ok with it).  Paperwork looks in order and can be confirmed by the Regie.  

The only strange thing is that the tenant wants the three month deposit paid into his bank account and NOT into a surety account at the bank.  Is this normal?  Am I being unduly paranoid?  

With previous rentals I have always used the surety account, without problem.   What rights will I have getting my deposit returned if it is in the tenants account?

Thanks for any advice.

The text you are quoting:

I have been offered an official sublet (Regie is ok with it).  Paperwork looks in order and can be confirmed by the Regie.  

The only strange thing is that the tenant wants the three month deposit paid into his bank account and NOT into a surety account at the bank.  Is this normal?  Am I being unduly paranoid?  

With previous rentals I have always used the surety account, without problem.   What rights will I have getting my deposit returned if it is in the tenants account?

Thanks for any advice.

Ronan MFeb 1, 2011 @ 20:59
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1160 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Is my rent deposit safe?
Post 1

Jan 1, 70 01:00

I agreee.  R.

I agreee.  R.

Ritchie, Feb 1, 2011 @ 23:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It does depend somwewhat on your subrent contract - if it is for a fixed period you can just agree that  the 3 months is the last 3 months rent; if your lease is open ended, then you need to have a blocked account otherwise the rentor could move on, terminate the lease, and you'll never see your cash.

Make sure as well to do a detailed written état des lieu (inventory inspection).

It does depend somwewhat on your subrent contract - if it is for a fixed period you can just agree that  the 3 months is the last 3 months rent; if your lease is open ended, then you need to have a blocked account otherwise the rentor could move on, terminate the lease, and you'll never see your cash.

Make sure as well to do a detailed written état des lieu (inventory inspection).

Poster, Feb 2, 2011 @ 02:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Ronan, better not to try. In my sad experience, once i lost 1/3 part of deposit...

Ronan, better not to try. In my sad experience, once i lost 1/3 part of deposit...

Onis, Feb 2, 2011 @ 22:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

@Ronan: If the land owner wants the security deposit in his account; then he is doggy. Don't do it...

As a tenant, its your legal right to put deposit in surety account and land owner have to abide by it...

@Ronan: If the land owner wants the security deposit in his account; then he is doggy. Don't do it...

As a tenant, its your legal right to put deposit in surety account and land owner have to abide by it...

hyeomer, Feb 2, 2011 @ 23:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1160 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form