Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > La Decouverte

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
La Decouverte

Hi,

We are moving to geneva soon and school fees are only covered for the first 3 years. My 6 years old daughter dominant language is English (although we speak Spanish at home) therefore I would like to ensure soft landing in switzerland , ensure english sticks 2-3 years, get english speaking friends and then transition to public school.

I am not big fan of posh schools and i found this one online. Any references? Is really an international environment there?

www.decouverte.ch

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

We are moving to geneva soon and school fees are only covered for the first 3 years. My 6 years old daughter dominant language is English (although we speak Spanish at home) therefore I would like to ensure soft landing in switzerland , ensure english sticks 2-3 years, get english speaking friends and then transition to public school.

I am not big fan of posh schools and i found this one online. Any references? Is really an international environment there?

www.decouverte.ch

Pedro AMay 9, 2017 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1498 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: La Decouverte
Post 1

Hey Pedro, I don't have any first hand experience of La Decouverte but I'll get the ball rolling. We have some friends whose kids went there and they had a generally positive experience. It is 50/50 Eng French, so I think your plan sounds good to use it as a stepping stone towards public school. (our kids are in public school and I think its great by the way). One complaint I remember they had about La Decouverte was that there 's not a great outdoor play area for the kids and they don't do a lot of gym activities. It is quite close by the most of the UN organisations if that's a concern for you and concerning the issue of posh schools, I really don't think its by any means the poshest (if its posh at all!). To answer your final question, I would say from my limited experience that it would have a properly international atmosphere there.

Good luck with your move! Any other questions I could answer just get in touch.

Hey Pedro, I don't have any first hand experience of La Decouverte but I'll get the ball rolling. We have some friends whose kids went there and they had a generally positive experience. It is 50/50 Eng French, so I think your plan sounds good to use it as a stepping stone towards public school. (our kids are in public school and I think its great by the way). One complaint I remember they had about La Decouverte was that there 's not a great outdoor play area for the kids and they don't do a lot of gym activities. It is quite close by the most of the UN organisations if that's a concern for you and concerning the issue of posh schools, I really don't think its by any means the poshest (if its posh at all!). To answer your final question, I would say from my limited experience that it would have a properly international atmosphere there.

Good luck with your move! Any other questions I could answer just get in touch.

Jimbo, May 10, 2017 @ 09:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Try IIL - http://www.iil.ch/en/

My son attended here  - very good school.

Try IIL - http://www.iil.ch/en/

My son attended here  - very good school.

Jeffery S, May 11, 2017 @ 02:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi,

I've heard many great things about La Découverte from 2-3 colleagues. I was in their waiting list but decided not to move forward with their offer two years ago because I live a bit far from Sécheron. They will open this summer a new campus in Mies that also looks great! We tried for months but were not able to move closeby (pff very difficult to find reasonably priced housing in Mies)...  

We live close to HUG, and currently my daughter attends a school that is very similar to La Découverte - it's called Mosaic and it's in Champel. Small classes, 1 week English, 1 week French. She is now perfectly trilingual (we also speak Spanish at home). We are pretty happy with the school. You could also consider it, depending on the location of your appartment/house. 

Good luck, Alejandra

Hi,

I've heard many great things about La Découverte from 2-3 colleagues. I was in their waiting list but decided not to move forward with their offer two years ago because I live a bit far from Sécheron. They will open this summer a new campus in Mies that also looks great! We tried for months but were not able to move closeby (pff very difficult to find reasonably priced housing in Mies)...  

We live close to HUG, and currently my daughter attends a school that is very similar to La Découverte - it's called Mosaic and it's in Champel. Small classes, 1 week English, 1 week French. She is now perfectly trilingual (we also speak Spanish at home). We are pretty happy with the school. You could also consider it, depending on the location of your appartment/house. 

Good luck, Alejandra

Alexandra C, May 11, 2017 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1498 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form