Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Mountain bike - downhill

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Mountain bike - downhill

Hey,

Just went up to the Mont Salève this weekend and saw a lot of guys going there for downhill mountain bike.

So was wondering if some of you are also doing it?

Also wondering nice places to rent such bike to try it too! Maybe even if someone does it, would be nice to guide us (people interested) there to show us the path to go down. :)

The text you are quoting:

Hey,

Just went up to the Mont Salève this weekend and saw a lot of guys going there for downhill mountain bike.

So was wondering if some of you are also doing it?

Also wondering nice places to rent such bike to try it too! Maybe even if someone does it, would be nice to guide us (people interested) there to show us the path to go down. :)

Jonathan KMar 24, 2011 @ 11:14
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

142 Replies | 14529 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Mountain bike - downhill
Post 1

That's cool :)

Let me know when you will try it, Salève seems great for it. As for me I'm a beginner in downhill but not at all in cycling.

That's cool :)

Let me know when you will try it, Salève seems great for it. As for me I'm a beginner in downhill but not at all in cycling.

Jonathan K, Mar 30, 2011 @ 10:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Les-Gets is a good place for mountain and downhill biking:

http://www.lesgets.com/vtt/

Les-Gets is a good place for mountain and downhill biking:

http://www.lesgets.com/vtt/

Avi_, Apr 12, 2011 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks guys for addvices !

As I just came here I don't have a mountain bike yet, and the priority is to find an appartment... Which is coming I hope.

So then I will be able to look for a nice mountain bike, but I would like to find something I could use for mountain and downhill too. I was thinking about that one : http://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr-fr/bikes/model/trance.x/7465/44626/

What do you think ?

Thanks guys for addvices !

As I just came here I don't have a mountain bike yet, and the priority is to find an appartment... Which is coming I hope.

So then I will be able to look for a nice mountain bike, but I would like to find something I could use for mountain and downhill too. I was thinking about that one : http://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr-fr/bikes/model/trance.x/7465/44626/

What do you think ?

Jonathan K, Apr 12, 2011 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yeah but the problem is that with freerides bikes it's not nice for usual mountain biking... And I don't want to have 3 bikes one of each... road (already have one), mountain and freeride.

So that's why I would like to find something that I know won't be the best for downhill but will be good for mountain as well.

Yeah but the problem is that with freerides bikes it's not nice for usual mountain biking... And I don't want to have 3 bikes one of each... road (already have one), mountain and freeride.

So that's why I would like to find something that I know won't be the best for downhill but will be good for mountain as well.

Jonathan K, Apr 12, 2011 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi go for an all mountain bike, Scott genius LT, Lapierre Spicy, Santa Cruz Hekler/Blur.  Make sure you get at least 6 inch suspension on front you'll need to get the most out of the terrain the area has to offer.  Good luck

Hi go for an all mountain bike, Scott genius LT, Lapierre Spicy, Santa Cruz Hekler/Blur.  Make sure you get at least 6 inch suspension on front you'll need to get the most out of the terrain the area has to offer.  Good luck

Mark A, Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I would advise looking across the border in France for a bike or getting one from Germany, I got one from Raddiscount, they have some good offers. Otherwise Decath in annemasse is a good bet. You don't need huge amounts of fork travel unless you are in the bike parks in ski resorts.

Something like the Rockrider 9.1 would be ok for a lot of riding, cost is about 700 euros.

I would advise looking across the border in France for a bike or getting one from Germany, I got one from Raddiscount, they have some good offers. Otherwise Decath in annemasse is a good bet. You don't need huge amounts of fork travel unless you are in the bike parks in ski resorts.

Something like the Rockrider 9.1 would be ok for a lot of riding, cost is about 700 euros.

David G, Apr 15, 2011 @ 21:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I know this is a downhill thread but do you know if there's any crosscountry biking on the Saleve? I ride my road bike on it and see the downhillers but not sure if there's any crosscountry trails.

Cheers,

Los

I know this is a downhill thread but do you know if there's any crosscountry biking on the Saleve? I ride my road bike on it and see the downhillers but not sure if there's any crosscountry trails.

Cheers,

Los

Carlos Moreno, Apr 15, 2011 @ 21:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I'm also looking for people to downhill with. I have my own bike and I'm free for the next two weeks.

let me know when the next trip will be

I'm also looking for people to downhill with. I have my own bike and I'm free for the next two weeks.

let me know when the next trip will be

Tobias M, Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

There are  a lot of possibilities for XC/ST riding both on and under le Saleve. Did you try the path from la Croisette to St Blaise for example? It can be a bit muddy under the trees. In the other direction you can do a big loop from la Croisette along the ridge line.

There are  a lot of possibilities for XC/ST riding both on and under le Saleve. Did you try the path from la Croisette to St Blaise for example? It can be a bit muddy under the trees. In the other direction you can do a big loop from la Croisette along the ridge line.

David G, Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Apr 12, 11 14:06

I can understand that, I have a garage full of bikes! For downhill take a look at the Felt Redemption 3 Full Suspension, weighs about 16.5kg which is not massive. You can get is for under 1200 euros at the moment:-

http://www.raddiscount.de/P06057.html?utm_medium=mail&utm_term=P06057_htm&utm_campaign=preisliste&utm_source=Preisliste&utm_content=htm

Otherwise for a more mixed use the Decathlon/BTwin ER1 looks quite interesting. 14kg, 150mm of front fork travel, the 180mm disks might suffer on extended downhills. I wouldn't even diss the Decath FR6, I know a few people who ride them, one guy has had his for 3 years with some serious use. Decath were lending them out at the Mondial du VTT at les Deux Alpes where even the pro riders had generally positive comments; the main neg is the rear shock. You can get one for 550 euros at the moment and keep your other bikes. When you grow out of it take it along to the Trocathlon and get half your money back to put to your next bike.

I can understand that, I have a garage full of bikes! For downhill take a look at the Felt Redemption 3 Full Suspension, weighs about 16.5kg which is not massive. You can get is for under 1200 euros at the moment:-

http://www.raddiscount.de/P06057.html?utm_medium=mail&utm_term=P06057_htm&utm_campaign=preisliste&utm_source=Preisliste&utm_content=htm

Otherwise for a more mixed use the Decathlon/BTwin ER1 looks quite interesting. 14kg, 150mm of front fork travel, the 180mm disks might suffer on extended downhills. I wouldn't even diss the Decath FR6, I know a few people who ride them, one guy has had his for 3 years with some serious use. Decath were lending them out at the Mondial du VTT at les Deux Alpes where even the pro riders had generally positive comments; the main neg is the rear shock. You can get one for 550 euros at the moment and keep your other bikes. When you grow out of it take it along to the Trocathlon and get half your money back to put to your next bike.

David G, Apr 18, 2011 @ 15:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

And what about bikes from Giant ? Because I have I can have good prices on Giant bicycles. That's why I was thinking about the Trance X 2.

For the price it doesn't really matter because I will use it enough so I don't mind spending 2000 euros if it's for a good one.

And what about bikes from Giant ? Because I have I can have good prices on Giant bicycles. That's why I was thinking about the Trance X 2.

For the price it doesn't really matter because I will use it enough so I don't mind spending 2000 euros if it's for a good one.

Jonathan K, Apr 18, 2011 @ 15:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Dunno about Giant MTBs, I've only got a city bike from them which is great but as the other replies have said the bike you showed is more XC than downhill... maybe you wouldn't take it down the Pas d'Echelle although lets not forget that 10 years ago we were doing downhill routes on 100mm forks and V brakes.

Dunno about Giant MTBs, I've only got a city bike from them which is great but as the other replies have said the bike you showed is more XC than downhill... maybe you wouldn't take it down the Pas d'Echelle although lets not forget that 10 years ago we were doing downhill routes on 100mm forks and V brakes.

David G, Apr 18, 2011 @ 15:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Yeah just saw now that there is not 160mm in front on that one...

So I saw that one which seems quite good :

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr-fr/bikes/model/reign.x2/7462/44620/

Yeah just saw now that there is not 160mm in front on that one...

So I saw that one which seems quite good :

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr-fr/bikes/model/reign.x2/7462/44620/

Jonathan K, Apr 18, 2011 @ 15:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

You should maybe take up the poster aboves offer to go out with him and borrow a bike ?

You should maybe take up the poster aboves offer to go out with him and borrow a bike ?

David G, Apr 18, 2011 @ 15:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Yeah :) Will finish moving in region and then enjoy all that ! Thanks all for advices anyway and I'm sure we will have lots of fun :)

Yeah :) Will finish moving in region and then enjoy all that ! Thanks all for advices anyway and I'm sure we will have lots of fun :)

Jonathan K, Apr 18, 2011 @ 16:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hey folks! I've just read this thread...I live in Geneva and have been exploring the XC trails on the saleve recently...the DH trails look pretty good there too and so keen to try out! I have a full suspension trail bike but looking to get a FR/DH now too.

Keen to join some of you guys for some FR/DH/XC some time if that's cool?

Cheers!

Simon

Hey folks! I've just read this thread...I live in Geneva and have been exploring the XC trails on the saleve recently...the DH trails look pretty good there too and so keen to try out! I have a full suspension trail bike but looking to get a FR/DH now too.

Keen to join some of you guys for some FR/DH/XC some time if that's cool?

Cheers!

Simon

Bojangles76, Apr 24, 2011 @ 19:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hey Jonathan - just a quick one to say that I"m running a few "Beginners" weekends in Verbier, over the summer.

4&5 June, 30&31 July, and 3&4 Sept.

Not posted on Glocals yet - will be doing so shorty and will post in the commercial "things to do" tab. 

In the meantime if you wish to find out more - email me direct 

Thanks (www.puregravity.ch)

Hey Jonathan - just a quick one to say that I"m running a few "Beginners" weekends in Verbier, over the summer.

4&5 June, 30&31 July, and 3&4 Sept.

Not posted on Glocals yet - will be doing so shorty and will post in the commercial "things to do" tab. 

In the meantime if you wish to find out more - email me direct 

Thanks (www.puregravity.ch)

Mark A, Apr 30, 2011 @ 20:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Hey hey hey.

Just arrived in Geneva this month, and will be here for sometime, hopefully.

I'm Ressuscitating this thread to know if anoyone is into DH this season.

I'm used to all-mountain and enduro, but as I found myself this near the Alps I've bought a DH rig. :-) Could not help it.

Looking forward to discover awesome spots like Les Gets, Morzine, Champery, Chatel....

If you're into this, please drop me a line, Thanks

Best regards

Francisco

Hey hey hey.

Just arrived in Geneva this month, and will be here for sometime, hopefully.

I'm Ressuscitating this thread to know if anoyone is into DH this season.

I'm used to all-mountain and enduro, but as I found myself this near the Alps I've bought a DH rig. :-) Could not help it.

Looking forward to discover awesome spots like Les Gets, Morzine, Champery, Chatel....

If you're into this, please drop me a line, Thanks

Best regards

Francisco

Francisco Eloy, Apr 20, 2012 @ 22:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hi Francisco

Id be happy to show you tracks on Le Saleve

James

Hi Francisco

Id be happy to show you tracks on Le Saleve

James

james79, May 10, 2012 @ 21:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

is there anything similar in Crozet?

is there anything similar in Crozet?

Dave H, May 14, 2012 @ 12:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hey guys seems to me this is the new down hillers in geneva thread.

I moved to geneva 2 weeks ago and use to live in whistler but have not ridden down hill for about 8 years, i would call my self a novice, I have been up the saleve and realized the trails up there are amazing but not verry well marked out , I have riden a few of them but did not want to push my luck. 

I am looking for a person / people to ride with/show me around.

At the moment im looking for work so i can go riding when ever.

Any help would be great as riding on my own = dangerous.

Regards Alan

Hey guys seems to me this is the new down hillers in geneva thread.

I moved to geneva 2 weeks ago and use to live in whistler but have not ridden down hill for about 8 years, i would call my self a novice, I have been up the saleve and realized the trails up there are amazing but not verry well marked out , I have riden a few of them but did not want to push my luck. 

I am looking for a person / people to ride with/show me around.

At the moment im looking for work so i can go riding when ever.

Any help would be great as riding on my own = dangerous.

Regards Alan

alan muston, Sep 24, 2012 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Welcome to join us next time we hit Le Saleve. Trails are awesome, 8-10 technical tracks. Give me your email & I'll let you know

James

Welcome to join us next time we hit Le Saleve. Trails are awesome, 8-10 technical tracks. Give me your email & I'll let you know

James

james79, Sep 24, 2012 @ 19:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Hey there that's great, cheers for the quick reply, my email is.  

[email protected]

i look forward to hearing from you guys in the in the future,

cheers AlanAlan

Hey there that's great, cheers for the quick reply, my email is.  

[email protected]

i look forward to hearing from you guys in the in the future,

cheers AlanAlan

alan muston, Sep 25, 2012 @ 11:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Hello Jonathan,

I just read that your intetested in mountainbiking. Are you more a beginner or advanced biker? I'm clearly a beginner and look for likeminded beginners to explore some trails in the hinterland of Geneva.

Regards from Frankfurt,

Frederic

Hello Jonathan,

I just read that your intetested in mountainbiking. Are you more a beginner or advanced biker? I'm clearly a beginner and look for likeminded beginners to explore some trails in the hinterland of Geneva.

Regards from Frankfurt,

Frederic

Frederic W, Sep 25, 2012 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hey Guys,

Don't know if the tread is still active. But I would really love to start some DH mountainbiking next spring.. I am a beginner in DH, but used to drive a bit of XC..

I'm looking in to buying an Enduro bike when this years ski season ends.. Would anyone be interested in going for a ride on Saleve or Jura.?

I kinda need someone to show me around the first time.. Plus it would be nice to team up and ride together with someone..

Hope some of you guys are still active on this tread..

Regards

Frederic

Hey Guys,

Don't know if the tread is still active. But I would really love to start some DH mountainbiking next spring.. I am a beginner in DH, but used to drive a bit of XC..

I'm looking in to buying an Enduro bike when this years ski season ends.. Would anyone be interested in going for a ride on Saleve or Jura.?

I kinda need someone to show me around the first time.. Plus it would be nice to team up and ride together with someone..

Hope some of you guys are still active on this tread..

Regards

Frederic

Frederic Niels Bolt Andersen, Oct 30, 2012 @ 22:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

now that summer is over and mountain biking season in the alps is ending...  is there anyone who regularly rides locally in the Jura or Saleve?  I ride enduro or dh.

i am still keen to do some riding before the real winter comes, and after a year and half I still haven't ridden Saleve yet...

now that summer is over and mountain biking season in the alps is ending...  is there anyone who regularly rides locally in the Jura or Saleve?  I ride enduro or dh.

i am still keen to do some riding before the real winter comes, and after a year and half I still haven't ridden Saleve yet...

Andrew D, Oct 30, 2012 @ 22:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Yeah mate I'm looking for people to ride with, I've been up the saleve and hade a look around and there is some good riding but you don't really want to do it on your own, I'm headed up to chamonix for the season but will be back mid may you can contact me directly on  [email protected] we should go up for a ride there was another bloke on the post that said he would show me around, maybe in spring it looks like now.

cheers

alan

Yeah mate I'm looking for people to ride with, I've been up the saleve and hade a look around and there is some good riding but you don't really want to do it on your own, I'm headed up to chamonix for the season but will be back mid may you can contact me directly on  [email protected] we should go up for a ride there was another bloke on the post that said he would show me around, maybe in spring it looks like now.

cheers

alan

alan muston, Oct 31, 2012 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Sorry mate headed to Cham, in the spring for sure thou

Sorry mate headed to Cham, in the spring for sure thou

alan muston, Oct 31, 2012 @ 11:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

I'm pretty much moving to Cham not for the season too but will let you know if I'm around at all to ride Saleve...fun trails up there.

I'm pretty much moving to Cham not for the season too but will let you know if I'm around at all to ride Saleve...fun trails up there.

Bojangles76, Nov 1, 2012 @ 12:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Hey again guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I might have posted on this forum a bit to early - since I am not looking in to doing any riding until spring. And I still need to get a new bike first as well..

I will post again on this forum when I am ready for some riding. And hopefully some of you will still be around and up for showing a DH/enduro newbie around the trails.

Regards

Fred

Hey again guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I might have posted on this forum a bit to early - since I am not looking in to doing any riding until spring. And I still need to get a new bike first as well..

I will post again on this forum when I am ready for some riding. And hopefully some of you will still be around and up for showing a DH/enduro newbie around the trails.

Regards

Fred

Frederic Niels Bolt Andersen, Nov 1, 2012 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Get a bike now while you can still get the 2012 models cheap. People DH on the Saleve all through the winter

Get a bike now while you can still get the 2012 models cheap. People DH on the Saleve all through the winter

Steven T, Nov 6, 2012 @ 23:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

I would get a bike now - but there is 2 things that renders it impossible to buy a bike now.. I am on a course in Zurich until end of December, and I also still do not have the money for a proper bike.. Otherwise I would have been trying my best on Saleve or Jura already :)

I would get a bike now - but there is 2 things that renders it impossible to buy a bike now.. I am on a course in Zurich until end of December, and I also still do not have the money for a proper bike.. Otherwise I would have been trying my best on Saleve or Jura already :)

Frederic Niels Bolt Andersen, Nov 7, 2012 @ 17:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Your not Australian are you? Bojangles is a very famous Aussie pub, chopper not sure if you have seen it?

Your not Australian are you? Bojangles is a very famous Aussie pub, chopper not sure if you have seen it?

alan muston, Nov 9, 2012 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Hey,

Not sure if this thread is still active at all, but now that the snow is disappearing I'm wanting to get back downhill mountain biking. I'm planning on riding up at the Saleve and Juras (if there are any trails there?), and getting out to the bigger resorts in the Alps when I can (and when the lifts open!)... Will probably go mostly to Les Gets / Portes du Soleil.

Anyone interested in organising some rides? Or maybe I could tag along with some of you guys?

Cheers,

Tom 

Hey,

Not sure if this thread is still active at all, but now that the snow is disappearing I'm wanting to get back downhill mountain biking. I'm planning on riding up at the Saleve and Juras (if there are any trails there?), and getting out to the bigger resorts in the Alps when I can (and when the lifts open!)... Will probably go mostly to Les Gets / Portes du Soleil.

Anyone interested in organising some rides? Or maybe I could tag along with some of you guys?

Cheers,

Tom 

Tom B, Apr 28, 2013 @ 00:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

Hello,

I am selling a Canyon Torque FR 7.0 (size M) bike for 650 euros. It is five years old but has only been used for one season and is in very good condition. You can find more info on Canyon's website at

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3057

I am also selling a 661 Pressure Suit Body Armour (size M) and Bell helmet (59-61 cm).  Good deal for anyone buying the whole package.

You can call me at 076 478 2901 or email at [email protected]. I live in Champel/Malagnou in Geneva.

robert

ps. there are very nice easy routes on the saleve as well (if you are willing to pedal/walk for 10 minutes)

Hello,

I am selling a Canyon Torque FR 7.0 (size M) bike for 650 euros. It is five years old but has only been used for one season and is in very good condition. You can find more info on Canyon's website at

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3057

I am also selling a 661 Pressure Suit Body Armour (size M) and Bell helmet (59-61 cm).  Good deal for anyone buying the whole package.

You can call me at 076 478 2901 or email at [email protected]. I live in Champel/Malagnou in Geneva.

robert

ps. there are very nice easy routes on the saleve as well (if you are willing to pedal/walk for 10 minutes)

Robert S, Apr 28, 2013 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Hi Tom,

Will be in a similar situation soon, just moved out and will be shipping my bike out mid June - wouldn't mind checking out Saleve with anyone that knows it well, seeing as its so close. Did Les Gets  a few times years back, so i'm interested to see some different places like Verbier if anyone is considering heading that way too.

For now i'm resorting to riding my commuter bike around the roads..nice as it is i'm looking forward to getting back to some DH/Enduro

Cheers

Dave 

Hi Tom,

Will be in a similar situation soon, just moved out and will be shipping my bike out mid June - wouldn't mind checking out Saleve with anyone that knows it well, seeing as its so close. Did Les Gets  a few times years back, so i'm interested to see some different places like Verbier if anyone is considering heading that way too.

For now i'm resorting to riding my commuter bike around the roads..nice as it is i'm looking forward to getting back to some DH/Enduro

Cheers

Dave 

Dave D, Apr 29, 2013 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Hi Dave,

I went up Mont Saleve last weekend and followed some French guys down a nice, but hardcore trail! Seems like there's quite a few options there.

Give me a shout when you get your bike and we can maybe sort out some trips. I'm up for travelling to some new resorts as well.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Dave,

I went up Mont Saleve last weekend and followed some French guys down a nice, but hardcore trail! Seems like there's quite a few options there.

Give me a shout when you get your bike and we can maybe sort out some trips. I'm up for travelling to some new resorts as well.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom B, May 1, 2013 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Just a shout out to people looking for riding partners, will be moving back down to Geneva in 2 or so weeks, after a great winter. And I'm itching to get on my bike any one that's interested can email me on [email protected]

kind rregards 

alan

Just a shout out to people looking for riding partners, will be moving back down to Geneva in 2 or so weeks, after a great winter. And I'm itching to get on my bike any one that's interested can email me on [email protected]

kind rregards 

alan

alan muston, May 1, 2013 @ 12:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Hi everyone,

I just moved to Geneva and brought my AM-Bike. I want to discover Le Saleve/Jura and Portes-du-soleil when lifts open. I will go for my first ride in this area on Thursday 9 May. Anyone I could join or anyone who wants to join? Any tips for useful maps and where to get them?

Cheers, David

Hi everyone,

I just moved to Geneva and brought my AM-Bike. I want to discover Le Saleve/Jura and Portes-du-soleil when lifts open. I will go for my first ride in this area on Thursday 9 May. Anyone I could join or anyone who wants to join? Any tips for useful maps and where to get them?

Cheers, David

David I, May 5, 2013 @ 12:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Hey all,

I'm also looking to get into some all-mountain biking (not necessarily DH). I've got a shit bike I brought over from NL and am looking for a good secondhand one. I live in Esserts-Saleve, so literally I just have to go out back to ride, lol.

Best,

Steve

Hey all,

I'm also looking to get into some all-mountain biking (not necessarily DH). I've got a shit bike I brought over from NL and am looking for a good secondhand one. I live in Esserts-Saleve, so literally I just have to go out back to ride, lol.

Best,

Steve

Steve A, May 6, 2013 @ 14:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Is anyone riding the "Passporte du soleil"?

Is anyone riding the "Passporte du soleil"?

David I, May 9, 2013 @ 20:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

I'd be up for a couple of days riding in the PdS area once the lifts are up and running, happy to help with the drives etc. I'm looking more for the XC/AM than pure DH though. Anyone interested?

I'd be up for a couple of days riding in the PdS area once the lifts are up and running, happy to help with the drives etc. I'm looking more for the XC/AM than pure DH though. Anyone interested?

BenP, May 12, 2013 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

definitely!

definitely!

David I, May 12, 2013 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Hi guys,

I would be interesteed in AM and downhill. The ski lifts in Les Gets open again during the weekends, starting May 25 (depending on the weather). I would also like to join someone going to ride the Saleve or Jura but do not know any trails there.

Following Ben's post, how about going to Les Gets on May 25th? There are some nice AM trails as well as downhill tracks for all levels.

Hi guys,

I would be interesteed in AM and downhill. The ski lifts in Les Gets open again during the weekends, starting May 25 (depending on the weather). I would also like to join someone going to ride the Saleve or Jura but do not know any trails there.

Following Ben's post, how about going to Les Gets on May 25th? There are some nice AM trails as well as downhill tracks for all levels.

Miguel C, May 13, 2013 @ 22:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

Hey,

I would be up for a day at Les Gets on May 25th. I've been there lots of times and the trails are always great. Like Miguel says there is something for all levels. I'm more into the DH stuff but happy to check out other style trails as long as it doesn't involve too much pedalling! My bike doesn't like to be pedalled...

Cheers,

Tom

Hey,

I would be up for a day at Les Gets on May 25th. I've been there lots of times and the trails are always great. Like Miguel says there is something for all levels. I'm more into the DH stuff but happy to check out other style trails as long as it doesn't involve too much pedalling! My bike doesn't like to be pedalled...

Cheers,

Tom

Tom B, May 14, 2013 @ 08:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

I can transport 2-3 bikes plus 2-3 persons in my car...

I can transport 2-3 bikes plus 2-3 persons in my car...

David I, May 14, 2013 @ 11:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

Hi guys,

due to the adverse weather the opening of the bike park in Les Gets was postponed 1 week to June 1st. Shall we go then?

Anyway, if someone still wants to ride this weekend in the Saleve, Jura, Flaine, PdS just let us know.

Hi guys,

due to the adverse weather the opening of the bike park in Les Gets was postponed 1 week to June 1st. Shall we go then?

Anyway, if someone still wants to ride this weekend in the Saleve, Jura, Flaine, PdS just let us know.

Miguel C, May 22, 2013 @ 22:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

If anyone's going on the 1st I'm in. You can't beat the first weekend of the season at Les Gets before the braking bumps turn up!

If anyone's going on the 1st I'm in. You can't beat the first weekend of the season at Les Gets before the braking bumps turn up!

Steven T, May 23, 2013 @ 18:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

I've got a mountain bike that I'd like to sell, it is in good condition.  Just send me a pm if you'd like more details.

I've got a mountain bike that I'd like to sell, it is in good condition.  Just send me a pm if you'd like more details.

Holly F, May 23, 2013 @ 21:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 50

Hey,

I'll go riding at Les Gets with my cousin the weekend of the 1st June for sure (assuming they don't have anymore snow!). Let me know if you plan to go and we can meet up there.

If I get time I might go up the Saleve this Sunday... Will let you know if I do, and anyone is welcome to join. I only know one trail there so will be doing some exploring / following locals!

Cheers, Tom 

Hey,

I'll go riding at Les Gets with my cousin the weekend of the 1st June for sure (assuming they don't have anymore snow!). Let me know if you plan to go and we can meet up there.

If I get time I might go up the Saleve this Sunday... Will let you know if I do, and anyone is welcome to join. I only know one trail there so will be doing some exploring / following locals!

Cheers, Tom 

Tom B, May 23, 2013 @ 23:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 51

I'm in for the 1st of June. We can meet there.

I'm in for the 1st of June. We can meet there.

Miguel C, May 26, 2013 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 52

Hey, so I'm definitely going to Les Gets on Saturday. Only the Chavanne lift will be open, but there's a couple of decent DH tracks from there to ride. I'm not sure what time I'll arrive (got to pick my friend up from Geneva airport around 8am), so maybe we could meet at lunchtime/late morning? PM me if you're going and we can exchange phone numbers, or just look out for me there - I'll be on a giant glory, with a grey full face helmet, hopefully not crashed into a tree! ;-)

Cheers, Tom

Hey, so I'm definitely going to Les Gets on Saturday. Only the Chavanne lift will be open, but there's a couple of decent DH tracks from there to ride. I'm not sure what time I'll arrive (got to pick my friend up from Geneva airport around 8am), so maybe we could meet at lunchtime/late morning? PM me if you're going and we can exchange phone numbers, or just look out for me there - I'll be on a giant glory, with a grey full face helmet, hopefully not crashed into a tree! ;-)

Cheers, Tom

Tom B, May 30, 2013 @ 23:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 53

Anyone in for a ride in Les Gets tomorrow?

Anyone in for a ride in Les Gets tomorrow?

Miguel C, Jun 1, 2013 @ 19:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 54

hi guys

i was wondering if you recommend les get for some cross coutry riding, myself and wife would go there, we lack downhill experience so would stick to green / blue runs at best..was thinking about the mont cherry side as it looks more friendlier, also i was wondering if its possible to ride up rather that take the lift?

thanks a lot

n

hi guys

i was wondering if you recommend les get for some cross coutry riding, myself and wife would go there, we lack downhill experience so would stick to green / blue runs at best..was thinking about the mont cherry side as it looks more friendlier, also i was wondering if its possible to ride up rather that take the lift?

thanks a lot

n

neilmacc, Jun 3, 2013 @ 15:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 55

Sorry Miguel, only just saw your message, was up in Les Gets yesterday. Did you go?

Neil I wouldn't recommend Les Gets for XC, especially as it needs to thaw out a lot first before the trails that go round the top of the valley are open. You'd be better off on the Jura or Saleve for now

Sorry Miguel, only just saw your message, was up in Les Gets yesterday. Did you go?

Neil I wouldn't recommend Les Gets for XC, especially as it needs to thaw out a lot first before the trails that go round the top of the valley are open. You'd be better off on the Jura or Saleve for now

Steven T, Jun 3, 2013 @ 22:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 56

Neil,

I'd agree with Steve that you should leave it a couple of weeks for the snow to thaw. Les Gets does have a few decent cross country trails though. There's a nice long and fairly easy run (even though it is graded black) that goes from the top of the Chavanne lift, around the back of the mountain (with views of Mont Blanc) then drops back into Les Gets... Last time I did it, it was poorly signposted so a map is useful! There's also a few trails on the Mont Chery side that are more family friendly. You can cycle up, but I'd recommend getting the lift, as I don't think the ride up is very interesting.

There's also 2 really great green downhill runs if you want to give it a try... One from the Chavanne lift, and one from the Mont Chery gondola.

After the end of June, the rest of the Portes du Soleil area will be open (Avoriaz, Les Croset....), and then you have loads of options for cross country and downhill.

Cheers, Tom

Neil,

I'd agree with Steve that you should leave it a couple of weeks for the snow to thaw. Les Gets does have a few decent cross country trails though. There's a nice long and fairly easy run (even though it is graded black) that goes from the top of the Chavanne lift, around the back of the mountain (with views of Mont Blanc) then drops back into Les Gets... Last time I did it, it was poorly signposted so a map is useful! There's also a few trails on the Mont Chery side that are more family friendly. You can cycle up, but I'd recommend getting the lift, as I don't think the ride up is very interesting.

There's also 2 really great green downhill runs if you want to give it a try... One from the Chavanne lift, and one from the Mont Chery gondola.

After the end of June, the rest of the Portes du Soleil area will be open (Avoriaz, Les Croset....), and then you have loads of options for cross country and downhill.

Cheers, Tom

Tom B, Jun 3, 2013 @ 23:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 57

perfect thanks a lot for the help guys

cheers

n

perfect thanks a lot for the help guys

cheers

n

neilmacc, Jun 4, 2013 @ 08:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 58

Hey all,

I'm going up to Les Gets again tomorrow for a good few DH runs on the Chavanne, as the weather seems like it will be reasonable. Hoping the tracks will have dried out a bit since last weekend as well...

At the moment I'm going alone, and planning to get there around 9-9:30. Drop me a message if you want to meet up there.

Cheers, Tom

Hey all,

I'm going up to Les Gets again tomorrow for a good few DH runs on the Chavanne, as the weather seems like it will be reasonable. Hoping the tracks will have dried out a bit since last weekend as well...

At the moment I'm going alone, and planning to get there around 9-9:30. Drop me a message if you want to meet up there.

Cheers, Tom

Tom B, Jun 7, 2013 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 59

Great. Will meet you there. Sent you a PM

Great. Will meet you there. Sent you a PM

Miguel C, Jun 7, 2013 @ 22:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 60

Hey, I didn´t saw your post. I was as well in Les Gets today. Weather was nice until 6pm. If weather is good I may go again tomorrow. Next week Chatel opens. I will def be going if weather is ok.

Hey, I didn´t saw your post. I was as well in Les Gets today. Weather was nice until 6pm. If weather is good I may go again tomorrow. Next week Chatel opens. I will def be going if weather is ok.

David I, Jun 8, 2013 @ 20:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 61

To the guys that rode in Les Gets this weekend : Any idea if the XC trails are rideable yet?

I was in Chamonix this weekend and the lower trails were in perfect condition, but I'm not sure about the stuff higher up...

To the guys that rode in Les Gets this weekend : Any idea if the XC trails are rideable yet?

I was in Chamonix this weekend and the lower trails were in perfect condition, but I'm not sure about the stuff higher up...

BenP, Jun 9, 2013 @ 20:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 62

I'm not too sure about the condition of the xc trails, but there was still quite a bit of snow around, especially on the Mont Chery side. I'd probably leave it at least another week or so, depending how the weather is.

I'm not too sure about the condition of the xc trails, but there was still quite a bit of snow around, especially on the Mont Chery side. I'd probably leave it at least another week or so, depending how the weather is.

Tom B, Jun 9, 2013 @ 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 63

Hi,

Next Saturday, I'll arrive @Les Gets with 3friends for a DH week in PdS.

But, helassss, we booked in January, and when lift schedules were released, we realised that lots of them are not yet opened that week.

Basically, only Les Gets, Most of Morzine, Champery, and Chatel 1st weekend...Major bummer :-/

http://en.portesdusoleil.com/summer-lifts.html

Anyone will be around?

We will probably try to find a way to go to Chatel, Sunday 16 (1st ride day), and maybe Champery some other day (too hardcore?)

For the other days, any advise how can we move between Les Gets and Morzine? (some lifts closed)

And to whomever has already been there this year: Mud tires?

Thanks! all the Best

Francisco

Hi,

Next Saturday, I'll arrive @Les Gets with 3friends for a DH week in PdS.

But, helassss, we booked in January, and when lift schedules were released, we realised that lots of them are not yet opened that week.

Basically, only Les Gets, Most of Morzine, Champery, and Chatel 1st weekend...Major bummer :-/

http://en.portesdusoleil.com/summer-lifts.html

Anyone will be around?

We will probably try to find a way to go to Chatel, Sunday 16 (1st ride day), and maybe Champery some other day (too hardcore?)

For the other days, any advise how can we move between Les Gets and Morzine? (some lifts closed)

And to whomever has already been there this year: Mud tires?

Thanks! all the Best

Francisco

Francisco Eloy, Jun 9, 2013 @ 22:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 64

Hi Francisco, I remember riding there with you last year. I went up a week ago and it was insanely muddy but it might have dried out a bit in the last week

I've never done it but I think you can roll on the road mostly downhill from Les Gets to Morzine without using the lifts, but for the other way you'll need the Pleney to be running (which it should be)

Hi Francisco, I remember riding there with you last year. I went up a week ago and it was insanely muddy but it might have dried out a bit in the last week

I've never done it but I think you can roll on the road mostly downhill from Les Gets to Morzine without using the lifts, but for the other way you'll need the Pleney to be running (which it should be)

Steven T, Jun 10, 2013 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 65

Hey guys

I have a mate in town for the next few days, and we were hoping to do a spot of XC mountain biking. I spent a week in les gets a few years ago so not a total beginner but def out of practise.

Is there anywhere people would recommend to go (eg saleve, Jura), where we could rent everything we'd need, and have a good day out?

cheers all!

Sandy

Hey guys

I have a mate in town for the next few days, and we were hoping to do a spot of XC mountain biking. I spent a week in les gets a few years ago so not a total beginner but def out of practise.

Is there anywhere people would recommend to go (eg saleve, Jura), where we could rent everything we'd need, and have a good day out?

cheers all!

Sandy

Sandy A, Jun 10, 2013 @ 15:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 66

Hey Sandy,

Chamonix is totally worth it for XC, and many of the trails are rideable right now (or were last weekend). The Chamonix Classic trail is a great day's riding, not too tough but with some challenging sections

Drop by ZeroG in downtown Chamonix for rentals and more guidance on which trails to do:

http://www.zerogchx.com/default.asp?id_lang=1

Super friendly, great service (speak English if you need). Rentals are about 40 Euro a day, but the bikes are really nice (Specialized Stumpjumper FSRs & Enduros). Tom, the guy who literally wrote the book on MTB in Chamonix works here, he'll be able to help with advice on trails:

http://thechamonixbikebook.com/

If you want to stay closer to home, the signposted black VTT trail across the Saleve (from the top of the cable car) is great fun, but you'll need to detour the descent because it's been destroyed by logging. PM me and I can send you some gps traces if you like.

Ben

Hey Sandy,

Chamonix is totally worth it for XC, and many of the trails are rideable right now (or were last weekend). The Chamonix Classic trail is a great day's riding, not too tough but with some challenging sections

Drop by ZeroG in downtown Chamonix for rentals and more guidance on which trails to do:

http://www.zerogchx.com/default.asp?id_lang=1

Super friendly, great service (speak English if you need). Rentals are about 40 Euro a day, but the bikes are really nice (Specialized Stumpjumper FSRs & Enduros). Tom, the guy who literally wrote the book on MTB in Chamonix works here, he'll be able to help with advice on trails:

http://thechamonixbikebook.com/

If you want to stay closer to home, the signposted black VTT trail across the Saleve (from the top of the cable car) is great fun, but you'll need to detour the descent because it's been destroyed by logging. PM me and I can send you some gps traces if you like.

Ben

BenP, Jun 10, 2013 @ 17:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 67

I've just brought my bike over so will be heading to Saleve this Sunday to get back into it - nothing to intense this stage, just want to work out where the main trails and DH tracks are for the future. If anyone else fancies riding locally this weekend and showing me the trails that would be an added bonus.

Cheers

Dave

I've just brought my bike over so will be heading to Saleve this Sunday to get back into it - nothing to intense this stage, just want to work out where the main trails and DH tracks are for the future. If anyone else fancies riding locally this weekend and showing me the trails that would be an added bonus.

Cheers

Dave

Dave D, Jun 11, 2013 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 68

Hi Francisco, you can roll down the road from Les Gets to Morzine no problem. You may as well get the Chavanne lift up though, as there's a signposted trail from there down into Morzine (or take the Pleney DH track). You need to pedal a bit, but still easily done on a DH bike.

Where you might have a problem is getting back. Apparently the Pleney lift will be closed for the summer season, as they are replacing it for the winter. Check out:

http://en.lesgets.com/mtb/mtb-news/mtb-les-gets-morzine-lift.html

Not sure if the bike bus back to Les Gets will be running the week you're up there unfortunately. If you've got a car, it maybe better to drive down into Morzine, or over to Chatel if you want to ride there.

Not sure about mud tires... It was just about dry last Saturday, but the weekend before was really wet! I'd go for dry tires... at least they're still fun in the wet!

Hi Francisco, you can roll down the road from Les Gets to Morzine no problem. You may as well get the Chavanne lift up though, as there's a signposted trail from there down into Morzine (or take the Pleney DH track). You need to pedal a bit, but still easily done on a DH bike.

Where you might have a problem is getting back. Apparently the Pleney lift will be closed for the summer season, as they are replacing it for the winter. Check out:

http://en.lesgets.com/mtb/mtb-news/mtb-les-gets-morzine-lift.html

Not sure if the bike bus back to Les Gets will be running the week you're up there unfortunately. If you've got a car, it maybe better to drive down into Morzine, or over to Chatel if you want to ride there.

Not sure about mud tires... It was just about dry last Saturday, but the weekend before was really wet! I'd go for dry tires... at least they're still fun in the wet!

Tom B, Jun 11, 2013 @ 22:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 69

Anyone wants to go to Chatel on Saturday? Weatherforecast is excellent. I ll start around 9am by car in Geneva.

Anyone wants to go to Chatel on Saturday? Weatherforecast is excellent. I ll start around 9am by car in Geneva.

David I, Jun 12, 2013 @ 10:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 70

Hey there, finally got my bike up and running, I'm keen as mustard for a bit of down hill on the weekend, lets keep contact you can get me on [email protected]

or on 0786598013

have a good one see you soon

alan

Hey there, finally got my bike up and running, I'm keen as mustard for a bit of down hill on the weekend, lets keep contact you can get me on [email protected]

or on 0786598013

have a good one see you soon

alan

alan muston, Jun 12, 2013 @ 16:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 71

Hi all,

Thanks you Steve and Tom! I've also learned that Morgins will be opened.

First thing to do upon arrival is finding out how to move there. Mostly from Morzine back to Les Gets, and also find a way to get our arses in Morgins one day.

If anyone is going, drop a line here.

Thanks again!

F

Hi all,

Thanks you Steve and Tom! I've also learned that Morgins will be opened.

First thing to do upon arrival is finding out how to move there. Mostly from Morzine back to Les Gets, and also find a way to get our arses in Morgins one day.

If anyone is going, drop a line here.

Thanks again!

F

Francisco Eloy, Jun 14, 2013 @ 21:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 72

Went up Saleve this weekend (albeit with slight hangover today courtesy of last nights glocals gig) - tracks running mostly dry but still plenty of greasy sections which keeps things interesting. Alot more technical than I expected with plenty of line choice - does anyone know if its possible to do a full run without hitting roads at any point? All in all some pretty sweet tracks on our doorstep which rival the Alps for technicality, nice booter to finish aswell.

Went up Saleve this weekend (albeit with slight hangover today courtesy of last nights glocals gig) - tracks running mostly dry but still plenty of greasy sections which keeps things interesting. Alot more technical than I expected with plenty of line choice - does anyone know if its possible to do a full run without hitting roads at any point? All in all some pretty sweet tracks on our doorstep which rival the Alps for technicality, nice booter to finish aswell.

Dave D, Jun 16, 2013 @ 19:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 73

I don't think there are any runs which completely avoid roads top to bottom but there are a few where you either just cross them or do a 100 yard stretch at most

I don't think there are any runs which completely avoid roads top to bottom but there are a few where you either just cross them or do a 100 yard stretch at most

Steven T, Jun 18, 2013 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 74

Ok that makes sense as I guess you have to cross the road at some point, didn't want to miss out on a trick though.

I'm heading up Saleve for a few runs this Saturday, if anyone wants to join give me a shout.

Dave

Ok that makes sense as I guess you have to cross the road at some point, didn't want to miss out on a trick though.

I'm heading up Saleve for a few runs this Saturday, if anyone wants to join give me a shout.

Dave

Dave D, Jul 4, 2013 @ 09:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 75
Hey there,
Going to Lindarets, pds, sunday with Tom. If anyone wants to join we are meeting at 10am in Les Gets to buy the forfait.
Cheers
Miguel
Hey there,
Going to Lindarets, pds, sunday with Tom. If anyone wants to join we are meeting at 10am in Les Gets to buy the forfait.
Cheers
Miguel
Miguel C, Jul 13, 2013 @ 00:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 76

Considering Les Gets / Morzine this weekend if anyone else is interested in sharing a hire car.

Will also be heading up Saleve on Friday evening - drop me a message if you want to join.

Cheers

Dave

Considering Les Gets / Morzine this weekend if anyone else is interested in sharing a hire car.

Will also be heading up Saleve on Friday evening - drop me a message if you want to join.

Cheers

Dave

Dave D, Jul 23, 2013 @ 15:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 77

Hi,

I live in Geneva and got hooked to DH last year. Since then I have been doing some riding in Chatel, Les Gets, and between Villars-Bex but never on Saleve. Came across this thread and was wondering if any of you go for regular rides on Saleve and if this is the place to organise riding. Have not been up there yet and keen to tag along to see what it's like! Not a super experienced rider but very enthusiastic!

Cheers

Hi,

I live in Geneva and got hooked to DH last year. Since then I have been doing some riding in Chatel, Les Gets, and between Villars-Bex but never on Saleve. Came across this thread and was wondering if any of you go for regular rides on Saleve and if this is the place to organise riding. Have not been up there yet and keen to tag along to see what it's like! Not a super experienced rider but very enthusiastic!

Cheers

Reinier B, Jul 31, 2013 @ 17:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 78

Hello,  I moved to Geneva about a year. I do Down Hill since 2007 although I had completely stopped since 2012 because i didn't have my bike here just until now. So I'm looking company to do some declines. I would love to go to Chatel, les Guets. I have a car and I can share it for trips.

Hello,  I moved to Geneva about a year. I do Down Hill since 2007 although I had completely stopped since 2012 because i didn't have my bike here just until now. So I'm looking company to do some declines. I would love to go to Chatel, les Guets. I have a car and I can share it for trips.

Bruno Silva, Aug 6, 2013 @ 20:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 79

Hi Reinier, I've only ridden a couple of dh tracks on the Saleve that I found by following tyre tracks in the mud! There's probably people on here who know the area better. I'd be interested in going riding there regularly though, especially when the Alps resorts close for the autumn.

Hi Bruno, I ride quite regularly up at Les Gets and Chatel with another guy on here, Miguel. We were planning on riding 24th/25th August, somewhere in the Portes du Soleil. You'd be welcome to tag along. I'll probably head up there one day next weekend (17/18th) as well - will let you know.

Cheers, Tom

Hi Reinier, I've only ridden a couple of dh tracks on the Saleve that I found by following tyre tracks in the mud! There's probably people on here who know the area better. I'd be interested in going riding there regularly though, especially when the Alps resorts close for the autumn.

Hi Bruno, I ride quite regularly up at Les Gets and Chatel with another guy on here, Miguel. We were planning on riding 24th/25th August, somewhere in the Portes du Soleil. You'd be welcome to tag along. I'll probably head up there one day next weekend (17/18th) as well - will let you know.

Cheers, Tom

Tom B, Aug 9, 2013 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 80

Thanks for your reply Tom. Will be a pleasure for me to join you. I'm available all weekend so let it match it.

Cheers, Bruno

Thanks for your reply Tom. Will be a pleasure for me to join you. I'm available all weekend so let it match it.

Cheers, Bruno

Bruno Silva, Aug 10, 2013 @ 23:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 81

Hi Reiner - i've been heading to Saleve a few times recently, will let you know next time i head up. There is actually quite alot of tracks up there, pretty technical (rival most things in the alps for technicality). There is always other riders up there and on the lift, so if you ever loose your way there should be people to ask. FYI if you intend to go alot you can buy a pack of 10 passess for 43 euro which saves on buying single tickets. 

Due to holidays and other commitments I won't be doing much more riding this summer, but i'll be heading out in oct/nov so will post up here when i do. Will be keen to know if there is any good XC in the Jura aswell.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Reiner - i've been heading to Saleve a few times recently, will let you know next time i head up. There is actually quite alot of tracks up there, pretty technical (rival most things in the alps for technicality). There is always other riders up there and on the lift, so if you ever loose your way there should be people to ask. FYI if you intend to go alot you can buy a pack of 10 passess for 43 euro which saves on buying single tickets. 

Due to holidays and other commitments I won't be doing much more riding this summer, but i'll be heading out in oct/nov so will post up here when i do. Will be keen to know if there is any good XC in the Jura aswell.

Cheers

Dave

Dave D, Aug 11, 2013 @ 21:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 82

Thanks for the replies.

Bruno, I'd love to go to Les Gets/Chatel as well. Unfortunately the first weekend I'd be able to go is 30 Aug-1 Sept. If you guys are going, let me know!

Dave, thanks for the info on Saleve. Let me know when you're up and running again, keen to check it out.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.

Bruno, I'd love to go to Les Gets/Chatel as well. Unfortunately the first weekend I'd be able to go is 30 Aug-1 Sept. If you guys are going, let me know!

Dave, thanks for the info on Saleve. Let me know when you're up and running again, keen to check it out.

Cheers

Reinier B, Aug 13, 2013 @ 09:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 83

Hi, 

A group of friends and I are looking for some intermediate level rides near Geneva - we're thinking Crozet in the jura is close enough to bike to and the downhill from the lift should be ok.  I tried the Saleve last weekend and I failed to find the riding trails (unless they were supposed to have so many hikers on them).  

Any thoughts on some moderate downhills reachable without a car nearby?

Will love to join you guys in Les gets/Chatel when I get my sea-legs.

cheers

Hi, 

A group of friends and I are looking for some intermediate level rides near Geneva - we're thinking Crozet in the jura is close enough to bike to and the downhill from the lift should be ok.  I tried the Saleve last weekend and I failed to find the riding trails (unless they were supposed to have so many hikers on them).  

Any thoughts on some moderate downhills reachable without a car nearby?

Will love to join you guys in Les gets/Chatel when I get my sea-legs.

cheers

Stee A, Aug 14, 2013 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 84

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

Aug 13, 13 09:18

Reiner B. For me it is great for this weekend. Once you have more news I get in touch with you.

Cheers,

Bruno

Reiner B. For me it is great for this weekend. Once you have more news I get in touch with you.

Cheers,

Bruno

Bruno Silva, Aug 15, 2013 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 85

Hi all,

Me and Miguel are planning to go downhill biking this Saturday in the Portes du Soleil. The plan is to meet at the Chavanne lift ticket office in Les Gets at 9:30am to buy lift passes, then drive to Lindarets (up the valley from Montriond, which is near Morzine). As far as I know there is nowhere to buy a lift pass at Lindarets.

We'll most probably do some riding in the Chatel bike park, then head over the Mosettes chairlift to Les Crosets for a few runs of the DH track there. If time/energy we could also ride the trails under the Lindarets-Avoriaz chairlift.

Let me know if you want to join. I can give some directions to Lindarets if you don't know it already (or just check out google maps).

Cheers,

Tom

Hi all,

Me and Miguel are planning to go downhill biking this Saturday in the Portes du Soleil. The plan is to meet at the Chavanne lift ticket office in Les Gets at 9:30am to buy lift passes, then drive to Lindarets (up the valley from Montriond, which is near Morzine). As far as I know there is nowhere to buy a lift pass at Lindarets.

We'll most probably do some riding in the Chatel bike park, then head over the Mosettes chairlift to Les Crosets for a few runs of the DH track there. If time/energy we could also ride the trails under the Lindarets-Avoriaz chairlift.

Let me know if you want to join. I can give some directions to Lindarets if you don't know it already (or just check out google maps).

Cheers,

Tom

Tom B, Aug 22, 2013 @ 12:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 86

Hey Guys,

New to the area. I did some BMX champioship when I was youger and feel the need to meet again with speed, jumps and so on. As I am back in the Alps, I would like to start DH. Anyone of you would be ok to welcome a rooky? 

I should invest in a Giant Glory soon but any tips for better bike is most welcome.

Cheers,

Alex

Hey Guys,

New to the area. I did some BMX champioship when I was youger and feel the need to meet again with speed, jumps and so on. As I am back in the Alps, I would like to start DH. Anyone of you would be ok to welcome a rooky? 

I should invest in a Giant Glory soon but any tips for better bike is most welcome.

Cheers,

Alex

, Aug 22, 2013 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 87

I meant. a Rookie not rooky.... :-)

I meant. a Rookie not rooky.... :-)

, Aug 22, 2013 @ 13:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 88

Won't be able to come out this weekend but you intend to go again next weekend I'd be in.

Enjoy!

Won't be able to come out this weekend but you intend to go again next weekend I'd be in.

Enjoy!

Reinier B, Aug 23, 2013 @ 14:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 89

For me this Saturday is impossible. I work in the morning. I can only go on Sundays. For September 1 would be great for me.

Cheers,

Bruno

For me this Saturday is impossible. I work in the morning. I can only go on Sundays. For September 1 would be great for me.

Cheers,

Bruno

Bruno Silva, Aug 23, 2013 @ 19:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 90

In case of interest, I have a Sixsixone Comp helmet (white) and pair of Sixsixone Comp Knee (size L) protectors for sale.

Both are close to brand new and have only been used 5 times. For more info you can check http://sixsixoneeurope.com/

Selling due to duplication.

Helmet goes for CHF 80, knee pads CHF40. Set goes for CHF 100.

Cheers

In case of interest, I have a Sixsixone Comp helmet (white) and pair of Sixsixone Comp Knee (size L) protectors for sale.

Both are close to brand new and have only been used 5 times. For more info you can check http://sixsixoneeurope.com/

Selling due to duplication.

Helmet goes for CHF 80, knee pads CHF40. Set goes for CHF 100.

Cheers

Reinier B, Aug 26, 2013 @ 08:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 91

Hi Guys

after a great summer in the PDS and Tignes im still wanting more, apart from Verbier is there anywher local to ride? i know there are some DH stuff on the Saleve but can find no trail maps, i like to get to know a trail first before i try to kill my self. im sort of between beginner, intermediate level if that makes sense.

This is my current wepon of choice.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10077844

Id be grateful for any help

cheers

Matt

Hi Guys

after a great summer in the PDS and Tignes im still wanting more, apart from Verbier is there anywher local to ride? i know there are some DH stuff on the Saleve but can find no trail maps, i like to get to know a trail first before i try to kill my self. im sort of between beginner, intermediate level if that makes sense.

cheers

Matt

matt gallagher, Sep 17, 2013 @ 16:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 92

Trail maps are finally available in Hotpoint bikes on Rue de Paquis - 29chf for tear-resistant map of the Saleves and around Annemasse.  They also show difficulty gradations on trails. Will let you know after Sunday if they're of any use...

Anyone know if there are any resorts besides Verbier with lifts still open until the end of September?

Trail maps are finally available in Hotpoint bikes on Rue de Paquis - 29chf for tear-resistant map of the Saleves and around Annemasse.  They also show difficulty gradations on trails. Will let you know after Sunday if they're of any use...

Anyone know if there are any resorts besides Verbier with lifts still open until the end of September?

Stee A, Sep 19, 2013 @ 14:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 93

Hi Stee

Pretty sure that Champery is open until 1st week in october  and crans montana is open untill end of september

Hi Stee

Pretty sure that Champery is open until 1st week in october  and crans montana is open untill end of september

matt gallagher, Sep 19, 2013 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 94

Hi Guys

cheers

Matt

Sep 17, 13 16:47

Crans Montana and Verbier should both me open until October 20th.  Then there are places like Dorenaz, Bex, Biel, Gurten which are all accessible on mountains trains that run all year. 

In the saint-cergue area you ride la chevrerie.  you get off the train at the last stop before saint-cergue and you finish at givrins.  their a few other nice trails on la barillette and les fruitiere, but you need to climb up yourself, so better suited for enduro.

Crans Montana and Verbier should both me open until October 20th.  Then there are places like Dorenaz, Bex, Biel, Gurten which are all accessible on mountains trains that run all year. 

In the saint-cergue area you ride la chevrerie.  you get off the train at the last stop before saint-cergue and you finish at givrins.  their a few other nice trails on la barillette and les fruitiere, but you need to climb up yourself, so better suited for enduro.

Andrew D, Sep 23, 2013 @ 23:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 95

Hi folks,

are you only doing downhill mointainbiking or also the more "classical" way, I mean several ups and downs on offroad paths?

Marcel

Hi folks,

are you only doing downhill mointainbiking or also the more "classical" way, I mean several ups and downs on offroad paths?

Marcel

Marcel Z, Oct 7, 2013 @ 20:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 96

Hi folks,

Marcel

Oct 7, 13 20:13

my bike is only designed to go down, pure dh i may get an enduro type bike for next year. :-)

my bike is only designed to go down, pure dh i may get an enduro type bike for next year. :-)

matt gallagher, Oct 8, 2013 @ 07:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 97

Sep 19, 13 14:41

were they any good?

were they any good?

matt gallagher, Oct 8, 2013 @ 07:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 98

Has anyone been up Saleve already for some downhill runs and is he/she planning on going soon again?

Has anyone been up Saleve already for some downhill runs and is he/she planning on going soon again?

Reinier B, May 27, 2014 @ 11:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 99

For me if I want to go just say so. We can mark something for a weekend.

For me if I want to go just say so. We can mark something for a weekend.

Bruno Silva, May 27, 2014 @ 19:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 100

Crans Montana opens Thursday...

Crans Montana opens Thursday...

Andrew D, May 27, 2014 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 101

Andrew, the Crans Montana website says 29 June or am I missing something?

Bruno, are you familiar with the trails up there? It would be my first time up there..

Bruno, are you familiar with the trails up there? It would be my first time up there..

Reinier B, May 28, 2014 @ 15:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 102

For those going for the first time Saleve is advisable to know what rails are a bit technical but accessible to almost everyone. I went there last year and went down a few times and not had any problems.

Who wants to try I will be happy to guide you.

For those going for the first time Saleve is advisable to know what rails are a bit technical but accessible to almost everyone. I went there last year and went down a few times and not had any problems.

Bruno Silva, May 29, 2014 @ 18:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 103

May 28, 14 15:43

I was there today, it was open!  Morgins is also now open, and Verbier opens the following weekend...

I was there today, it was open!  Morgins is also now open, and Verbier opens the following weekend...

Andrew D, May 29, 2014 @ 22:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 104

May 29, 14 18:53

Bruno,

Would you be able to go this weekend, just for a morning or an afternoon?

Any other takers?

Bruno,

Would you be able to go this weekend, just for a morning or an afternoon?

Any other takers?

Reinier B, May 30, 2014 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 105

Will be available on Sunday. We go in the morning. They say?

Will be available on Sunday. We go in the morning. They say?

Bruno Silva, May 30, 2014 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 106

I'm in! I'll shoot you a message to discuss the details!

I'm in! I'll shoot you a message to discuss the details!

Reinier B, May 30, 2014 @ 22:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 107

Hi guys, 

Sort of a MTB novice but really want to get into it. Let me know if you are planning something, would love to join. 

Cheers,
Roshan 

Hi guys, 

Sort of a MTB novice but really want to get into it. Let me know if you are planning something, would love to join. 

Cheers,
Roshan 

Roshan P, Jun 14, 2014 @ 18:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 108

I Bruno, 

Would love to try Saleve for some biking. Do you go there often? 

Just moved to Geneva, not that expirienced as a rider but really want to get out there. 

Cheers,
Roshan 

I Bruno, 

Would love to try Saleve for some biking. Do you go there often? 

Just moved to Geneva, not that expirienced as a rider but really want to get out there. 

Cheers,
Roshan 

Roshan P, Jun 14, 2014 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 109

Hi Roshan,

If you're interested in cross country / All Mountain MTB, then I'd be happy to meet up for a ride , on the Saleve or other trails in the area, or further into the alps. Message me if you're interested (same goes for anyone else interested in going uphill as much as downhill!).

If you're more into the pure Downhill stuff, I'm not really the right person for that, but there are definitely some people on this thread who are.

Best,

Ben

Hi Roshan,

If you're interested in cross country / All Mountain MTB, then I'd be happy to meet up for a ride , on the Saleve or other trails in the area, or further into the alps. Message me if you're interested (same goes for anyone else interested in going uphill as much as downhill!).

If you're more into the pure Downhill stuff, I'm not really the right person for that, but there are definitely some people on this thread who are.

Best,

Ben

BenP, Jun 14, 2014 @ 20:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 110

Hello to all. Inform you that tomorrow I'll be in Saleve around 10:00h  Who wants to come will be happy to show the tracks and help with anything you need. Note that Saleve is not a bike park. The rails are somewhat technical and therefore befits own protections take effect for the bike listed and not forget the helmet.

Hello to all. Inform you that tomorrow I'll be in Saleve around 10:00h  Who wants to come will be happy to show the tracks and help with anything you need. Note that Saleve is not a bike park. The rails are somewhat technical and therefore befits own protections take effect for the bike listed and not forget the helmet.

Bruno Silva, Jun 14, 2014 @ 20:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 111

Hi Ben, 

That would be great, definetly up for some cross country / All Mountain. I hope you dont mind dragging along beginner? Would you know any good places to rent equipment in Saleve? 

Cheers,
Roshan

Hi Ben, 

That would be great, definetly up for some cross country / All Mountain. I hope you dont mind dragging along beginner? Would you know any good places to rent equipment in Saleve? 

Cheers,
Roshan

Roshan P, Jun 15, 2014 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 112

Anyone want to go to Saleve on Sunday? Reinier and I are thinking about going there.

Anyone want to go to Saleve on Sunday? Reinier and I are thinking about going there.

Bruno Silva, Jun 20, 2014 @ 22:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 113

Good times on Saleve yesterday, thanks Bruno for another good outing!

Good times on Saleve yesterday, thanks Bruno for another good outing!

Reinier B, Jun 23, 2014 @ 10:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 114

2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5 Carbon - Size Large, Stealth Black.

I just bought this bike but only used it for one day, it is too small for me so I need to change. There are a couple of small scratches on the rims and derailleur but otherwise perfect.

This is a fantastic bike and I'll get the same again in a bigger size!

EUR5,500 firm, an exceptional deal for this bike!
Frame Only EUR2,500.

Crankset: SRAM XX1 1X11.
Shock: Rockshox Monarch Plus Debonair 165mm
Fork - Rockshox 160mm Pike with Cane Creek headset (Fox 34 in the photo)
Brakes: Avid Trail XO.
Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb Stealth with WTB Saddle
Wheelset: Crankbrothers Iodine 3.
Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf (Tubeless)
Handlebars: Azonic Flow Bars 750 with Easton Havoc stem.
Frame Protection: The entire frame has had Invisiframe custom made frame protection put on it (GBP90 value), can be removed if you prefer.

2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5 Carbon - Size Large, Stealth Black.

I just bought this bike but only used it for one day, it is too small for me so I need to change. There are a couple of small scratches on the rims and derailleur but otherwise perfect.

This is a fantastic bike and I'll get the same again in a bigger size!

EUR5,500 firm, an exceptional deal for this bike!
Frame Only EUR2,500.

Crankset: SRAM XX1 1X11.
Shock: Rockshox Monarch Plus Debonair 165mm
Fork - Rockshox 160mm Pike with Cane Creek headset (Fox 34 in the photo)
Brakes: Avid Trail XO.
Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb Stealth with WTB Saddle
Wheelset: Crankbrothers Iodine 3.
Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf (Tubeless)
Handlebars: Azonic Flow Bars 750 with Easton Havoc stem.
Frame Protection: The entire frame has had Invisiframe custom made frame protection put on it (GBP90 value), can be removed if you prefer.

Bojangles76, Jun 23, 2014 @ 10:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 115

Hey, can anyone please post directions from the top of the teleferique to the petit Saleve trails?  Thanks

Hey, can anyone please post directions from the top of the teleferique to the petit Saleve trails?  Thanks

Stee A, Jun 23, 2014 @ 20:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 116

That's a lovely Santa Cruz. You must be gutted. How tall are you?

Stee - You need to go down to Monnetier through the village and then up the Chemin du Petit Saleve. From the telepherique you can just cruise down the road to get there, but then you'd miss all the best trails!

Stee - You need to go down to Monnetier through the village and then up the Chemin du Petit Saleve. From the telepherique you can just cruise down the road to get there, but then you'd miss all the best trails!

Steven T, Jun 23, 2014 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 117

Great Sunday. We have to repeat. I really liked the new track found. I leave here the link of a video that I prepared in 2010. Wait who like despite the poor quality of the camera.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/177904/

Great Sunday. We have to repeat. I really liked the new track found. I leave here the link of a video that I prepared in 2010. Wait who like despite the poor quality of the camera.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/177904/

Bruno Silva, Jun 23, 2014 @ 21:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 118

Jun 23, 14 20:44

Great - so I need to come up the Monnetier side?  A colleague told me 500m downhill from the telepherique, then away you go... are the trails direction Mornex or back towards Monnetier?  Or maybe I join on the next Saleve weekend - anyone up for Saturday?

Great - so I need to come up the Monnetier side?  A colleague told me 500m downhill from the telepherique, then away you go... are the trails direction Mornex or back towards Monnetier?  Or maybe I join on the next Saleve weekend - anyone up for Saturday?

Stee A, Jun 23, 2014 @ 21:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 119

Yep...spent alot of time choosing and spec'ing..ah well, live and learn! I'm 187cm so between sizes as they say...

Yep...spent alot of time choosing and spec'ing..ah well, live and learn! I'm 187cm so between sizes as they say...

Bojangles76, Jun 23, 2014 @ 21:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 120

you are aware that the PDS is and has been open for the last couple of weekends? from friday all the lifts will be open ( apart from Avoria).

Ie Morzine, Les Gets, Chatel etc.

you are aware that the PDS is and has been open for the last couple of weekends? from friday all the lifts will be open ( apart from Avoria).

Ie Morzine, Les Gets, Chatel etc.

matt gallagher, Jun 23, 2014 @ 22:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 121

Hi folks!

I just bought my brand new AM mtb, it's a Canyon Spectral 7.9 29! I just need to assemble it this Sunday and then I'm ready to hit the Saleve/Jura's slopes for AM riding tours!!

I really like technical DH trails but I like as well to climb up to get the deserved pleasure of the downhill ride ;) my bike should enable me for both!!

Please let me know if you plan some rides over the next weekends/evenings! Feel free to drop me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers.

Cheers,

Andrea 

Hi folks!

I just bought my brand new AM mtb, it's a Canyon Spectral 7.9 29! I just need to assemble it this Sunday and then I'm ready to hit the Saleve/Jura's slopes for AM riding tours!!

I really like technical DH trails but I like as well to climb up to get the deserved pleasure of the downhill ride ;) my bike should enable me for both!!

Please let me know if you plan some rides over the next weekends/evenings! Feel free to drop me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers.

Cheers,

Andrea 

Andrea Pigatti, Jul 25, 2014 @ 02:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 122

Hey,

Can anyone post up any trail maps for the Saleve?  

Cheers

Tom

Hey,

Can anyone post up any trail maps for the Saleve?  

Cheers

Tom

Tom C, Aug 7, 2014 @ 13:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 123

I don't have any maps but am going tonight so can point you in the right direction if you like.

I don't have any maps but am going tonight so can point you in the right direction if you like.

Steven T, Aug 7, 2014 @ 14:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 124

Cheers Steven.  I can't do tonight but I might head up tomorrow evening.  I've ridden down to Monnetier a couple of times but I'd really like to get hold of a map to have a better overview of the place.

Cheers Steven.  I can't do tonight but I might head up tomorrow evening.  I've ridden down to Monnetier a couple of times but I'd really like to get hold of a map to have a better overview of the place.

Tom C, Aug 7, 2014 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 125

I'll take some GPS traces at some point and overlay them on a google map for everyone.

I'll take some GPS traces at some point and overlay them on a google map for everyone.

Steven T, Aug 7, 2014 @ 15:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 126

that is stunning, did you manage to sell it?

that is stunning, did you manage to sell it?

matt gallagher, Aug 7, 2014 @ 15:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 127

Found this:

http://www.rando-saleve.net/photos/vttplan.jpg

Found this:

http://www.rando-saleve.net/photos/vttplan.jpg

Tom C, Aug 8, 2014 @ 17:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 128

Ok, as far as I know here are all the DH trails on the Saleve. I had a look and found most of them are marked on openstreetmap.org so I took their map and added some colour-coding: http://goo.gl/TTJKUm

They all go down to Monnetier village,  and ultimately converge on the steps which are the only way to get down the cliffs back to the telepherique without climbing over the Petit Saleve. The easier trails lead to the East side of the village meaning you have a 10 minute pedal uphill through town (shaded yellow on the map). The harder routes go straight to the top of the steps but have some tricky sections (shaded red).

In order of difficulty (easiest first) they are:

Old railway (Shaded Green) - Straight, wide and not too steep, as you'd expect from an old railway line

L'Entre Deux (E) - A more interesting trail with the occasional drop, but all with easy chicken runs. Halfway down you can go through the stone tunnel under the old railway and join the steep bottom part of La Courte to cut back to the road if you want to avoid the climb through Monnetier

La Longue (F) - Really fun, fast, long trail. Rocky and technical in places but not steep. It's the least muddy trail after it's been raining

La Premiere (A) - This is the main footpath up the Saleve so watch out for hikers, particularly if you do the variation that starts from the road (shaded orange). The trail is wide and fast, but with a nice technical rock garden towards the bottom (shaded red), but that section is short and easily walkable. Once you're through the rock garden it's best to stay right onto the road as the rest of the trail isn't great

Below the Steps - Steep and loose and not ideal for beginners, but all trails converge on the stairs so it's unavoidable

La Source (Green squares) - I can't really remember this one but it ends up on the steep part of La Courte

La Courte (D) - Top section is fun, bermy, and pretty easy. Once you get to the old railway line it get steep, off-camber, and rutted. You can miss that bit and join L'Entre Deux if you don't mind the cycle uphill through Monnetier. And the end of the steep bit cut onto the road to go straight to the steps

La Raide (B) - Raide = steep in English, and it's the hardest trail on the Saleve. Unfortunately it's also the easiest trail to stumble upon if you just cruise down the road looking for a track. It has some good-sized jumps which are easy to go around so doesn't get that difficult until you cross the road for the last time where you can bail out if you like

See you all up there!

Ok, as far as I know here are all the DH trails on the Saleve. I had a look and found most of them are marked on openstreetmap.org so I took their map and added some colour-coding: http://goo.gl/TTJKUm

They all go down to Monnetier village,  and ultimately converge on the steps which are the only way to get down the cliffs back to the telepherique without climbing over the Petit Saleve. The easier trails lead to the East side of the village meaning you have a 10 minute pedal uphill through town (shaded yellow on the map). The harder routes go straight to the top of the steps but have some tricky sections (shaded red).

In order of difficulty (easiest first) they are:

Old railway (Shaded Green) - Straight, wide and not too steep, as you'd expect from an old railway line

L'Entre Deux (E) - A more interesting trail with the occasional drop, but all with easy chicken runs. Halfway down you can go through the stone tunnel under the old railway and join the steep bottom part of La Courte to cut back to the road if you want to avoid the climb through Monnetier

La Longue (F) - Really fun, fast, long trail. Rocky and technical in places but not steep. It's the least muddy trail after it's been raining

La Premiere (A) - This is the main footpath up the Saleve so watch out for hikers, particularly if you do the variation that starts from the road (shaded orange). The trail is wide and fast, but with a nice technical rock garden towards the bottom (shaded red), but that section is short and easily walkable. Once you're through the rock garden it's best to stay right onto the road as the rest of the trail isn't great

Below the Steps - Steep and loose and not ideal for beginners, but all trails converge on the stairs so it's unavoidable

La Source (Green squares) - I can't really remember this one but it ends up on the steep part of La Courte

La Courte (D) - Top section is fun, bermy, and pretty easy. Once you get to the old railway line it get steep, off-camber, and rutted. You can miss that bit and join L'Entre Deux if you don't mind the cycle uphill through Monnetier. And the end of the steep bit cut onto the road to go straight to the steps

La Raide (B) - Raide = steep in English, and it's the hardest trail on the Saleve. Unfortunately it's also the easiest trail to stumble upon if you just cruise down the road looking for a track. It has some good-sized jumps which are easy to go around so doesn't get that difficult until you cross the road for the last time where you can bail out if you like

See you all up there!

Steven T, Aug 8, 2014 @ 20:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 129

Thanks for putting this up Steven.  Much appreciated.

Thanks for putting this up Steven.  Much appreciated.

Tom C, Aug 11, 2014 @ 13:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 130

If anyone is doing one of these trails any time soon (late afternoon on weekdays ?) then I'd love to join you - let me know ? 

If anyone is doing one of these trails any time soon (late afternoon on weekdays ?) then I'd love to join you - let me know ? 

Matt Kilsby, Sep 3, 2014 @ 14:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 131

Matt, you might want to start a new thread, rather than add to this old on. It started back in 2011, so might be misleading in some respects (I didn't bother to read the whole thing to be sure...too old and long)

Matt, you might want to start a new thread, rather than add to this old on. It started back in 2011, so might be misleading in some respects (I didn't bother to read the whole thing to be sure...too old and long)

Zonker, Sep 4, 2014 @ 13:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 132

Hey, I m also hijacking the post !

I d like to try these downhills, but i don't want to do it alone, it s never good if you have a problem, and it s way more fun with other people.

I have a car and a bike rack. I work in plan les Ouates in Swiss so I could pick up someone after work and get there before it s dark.

Any candidates ?

Luigi

Hey, I m also hijacking the post !

I d like to try these downhills, but i don't want to do it alone, it s never good if you have a problem, and it s way more fun with other people.

I have a car and a bike rack. I work in plan les Ouates in Swiss so I could pick up someone after work and get there before it s dark.

Any candidates ?

Luigi

luigi S, Sep 22, 2014 @ 21:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 133

What kind of bike/experience do you have?

What kind of bike/experience do you have?

Steven T, Sep 23, 2014 @ 09:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 134

I have a giant glory 1 for downhill, i m going to bike park every years, i can roll down almost every thing, i don t do huge jumps though ( like moto cross style !).

I have a kona taro for all mountain trips.

I have a giant glory 1 for downhill, i m going to bike park every years, i can roll down almost every thing, i don t do huge jumps though ( like moto cross style !).

I have a kona taro for all mountain trips.

luigi S, Sep 23, 2014 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 135

Cool, will send you a PM

Cool, will send you a PM

Steven T, Sep 24, 2014 @ 11:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 136

ANybody interested in heading to Verbier on Sunday? Haven't been there yet, but looks great. Have no car so not sure if we will rent a car or take the train. Any suggestions on the best way to get there are welcome

ANybody interested in heading to Verbier on Sunday? Haven't been there yet, but looks great. Have no car so not sure if we will rent a car or take the train. Any suggestions on the best way to get there are welcome

Grant Dansie, Oct 10, 2014 @ 23:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 137

why ont, we coule take my car, anyone else ls UP for it?

why ont, we coule take my car, anyone else ls UP for it?

luigi S, Oct 11, 2014 @ 01:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 138

(as i was typing with T9 on french : "Why not, we can go there with my car, the weather looks ok for tomorow. I have a bike rack for 3 bikes, anyone else would like to join ?)

(as i was typing with T9 on french : "Why not, we can go there with my car, the weather looks ok for tomorow. I have a bike rack for 3 bikes, anyone else would like to join ?)

luigi S, Oct 11, 2014 @ 16:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 139

Cool. There is two of us. What time should we leave and where should we meet you? Looking super forward to checking out verbier

Cool. There is two of us. What time should we leave and where should we meet you? Looking super forward to checking out verbier

Grant Dansie, Oct 11, 2014 @ 17:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 140

We had a great trip to Verbier two weeks ago. Anybody keen to go on Sunday, it's the last opening day for the season.

Cheers,

Grant

We had a great trip to Verbier two weeks ago. Anybody keen to go on Sunday, it's the last opening day for the season.

Cheers,

Grant

Grant Dansie, Oct 24, 2014 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 141

Hey all!!

I am also looking for people to go riding with. I know the thread is now ancient but is anyone

of you still around Geneva, with all bones together willing to go riding soon??

Let me know!

Christina (intermediate DH, enduro)

Hey all!!

I am also looking for people to go riding with. I know the thread is now ancient but is anyone

of you still around Geneva, with all bones together willing to go riding soon??

Let me know!

Christina (intermediate DH, enduro)

Christina G, Jul 27, 2015 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 142

Hi Christina, 

I am looking to go ride somewhere near Geneva this weekend. Weather looks great, I am flying in from Qatar and so need to rent everything. Do you know what DH areas are still open this weekend, or do you already have plans?

Hi Christina, 

I am looking to go ride somewhere near Geneva this weekend. Weather looks great, I am flying in from Qatar and so need to rent everything. Do you know what DH areas are still open this weekend, or do you already have plans?

Mike Manshanden, Sep 1, 2015 @ 06:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
142 Replies | 14529 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form