Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Moving Cantons - Vaud to Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving Cantons - Vaud to Geneva

Hi,

I may be moving from Vaud to Geneva and would like to have any details about what I need to do, who to inform, when to inform etc. 

There are loads of general questions, e.g., if I sublet a place, at what point do I need to change over my car registration?

If anyone has an amazing checklist or info it would be most appreciated

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I may be moving from Vaud to Geneva and would like to have any details about what I need to do, who to inform, when to inform etc. 

There are loads of general questions, e.g., if I sublet a place, at what point do I need to change over my car registration?

If anyone has an amazing checklist or info it would be most appreciated

Clint BJul 30, 2011 @ 14:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 3351 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving Cantons - Vaud to Geneva
Post 1

hi Clint

when I moved from the Vaud canton to Geneva I informed the Population Office of the Vaud Canton, plus the Population Canton of the Geneva Canton, as you need to require an updated residence permit with your new address. If I remember well the deadline is 3 months after the actual change of residence. Unfortunately I cannot help about the car.

hi Clint

when I moved from the Vaud canton to Geneva I informed the Population Office of the Vaud Canton, plus the Population Canton of the Geneva Canton, as you need to require an updated residence permit with your new address. If I remember well the deadline is 3 months after the actual change of residence. Unfortunately I cannot help about the car.

Federica, Jul 30, 2011 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

obviously I meant the Population Office of the Geneva canton, not the Population Canton of the Geneva canton, I wrote in a rush :)

obviously I meant the Population Office of the Geneva canton, not the Population Canton of the Geneva canton, I wrote in a rush :)

Federica, Jul 30, 2011 @ 15:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

for the car: when you have your new residence permit, go see your car insurance, then go to the service des automobiles in carouge, don't forget to do this in this order, otherwise it won't work...

for the car: when you have your new residence permit, go see your car insurance, then go to the service des automobiles in carouge, don't forget to do this in this order, otherwise it won't work...

sophie s, Jul 31, 2011 @ 01:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks, for the advice,

Anyone else have more moving experiences?

Thanks, for the advice,

Anyone else have more moving experiences?

Clint B, Aug 1, 2011 @ 09:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

When you have your new address agreed, go to your local commune and "deregister". They will give you a "leaving certificate".

(worth taking a colour photocopy of your current permit).

Take the "leaving cert" from where you live, and go online to the Geneva population webiste and print out the relevant form. (if you have a B permit / or C Permit)

http://www.ge.ch/etrangers-confederes/fr/sejour/welcome.asp?rubrique=demande-autorisation-titres-de-sejour-ue-aele

Then you post the application plus supporting docs, to the authority in geneva and they send you the new permit.

Then when you have the new permit, you have to do the car registration. (this you do in person. not via post ) AND DONT FORGET to do your driving licence at the same time. This just means driving to carouge and taking your plates in, with Insurance document, and they give you new ones which you fit on the spot. ditto Driving licence which they print you a new one there and then.

Then dont forget to change the addresses on all your bills. (in the meantime go to the local post office where you live now and pay for a 12 mth redirection of all your post to the new address.)

Thats about it.....

best

Ch

When you have your new address agreed, go to your local commune and "deregister". They will give you a "leaving certificate".

(worth taking a colour photocopy of your current permit).

Take the "leaving cert" from where you live, and go online to the Geneva population webiste and print out the relevant form. (if you have a B permit / or C Permit)

http://www.ge.ch/etrangers-confederes/fr/sejour/welcome.asp?rubrique=demande-autorisation-titres-de-sejour-ue-aele

Then you post the application plus supporting docs, to the authority in geneva and they send you the new permit.

Then when you have the new permit, you have to do the car registration. (this you do in person. not via post ) AND DONT FORGET to do your driving licence at the same time. This just means driving to carouge and taking your plates in, with Insurance document, and they give you new ones which you fit on the spot. ditto Driving licence which they print you a new one there and then.

Then dont forget to change the addresses on all your bills. (in the meantime go to the local post office where you live now and pay for a 12 mth redirection of all your post to the new address.)

Thats about it.....

best

Ch

Charlie, Aug 1, 2011 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Has anyone moved the opposite way; Geneva to Vaud?

I am currently preparing for a move from Gva to Nyon therefore it would be useful to know if anyone has had the same experience and any advice?

Regarding the permit, would I need to complete a "depart" form for Gva and then contact the canton de Vaud or just a "C" form which is to change my address?

I have a permit C.

Thanks 

I am currently preparing for a move from Gva to Nyon therefore it would be useful to know if anyone has had the same experience and any advice?

Regarding the permit, would I need to complete a "depart" form for Gva and then contact the canton de Vaud or just a "C" form which is to change my address?

I have a permit C.

Thanks 

emma1979, Aug 2, 2011 @ 16:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I have a permit C.

Thanks 

Aug 2, 11 16:03

i have done using a B- simply complete the depart in Geneva and then take along your permit and the 'fee' to the population place in Nyon....About six weeks later you will get your new permit

i have done using a B- simply complete the depart in Geneva and then take along your permit and the 'fee' to the population place in Nyon....About six weeks later you will get your new permit

steve b, Aug 2, 2011 @ 18:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Steve,

Where is the population place in Nyon? Anywhere near the station?

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Thanks

emma1979, Aug 17, 2011 @ 12:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Steve,

Thanks

Aug 17, 11 12:22

On the square, near the chateau.  10 minute walk.

On the square, near the chateau.  10 minute walk.

richardm, Aug 17, 2011 @ 12:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi Steve,

Thanks

Aug 17, 11 12:22

by the castle, opposite the police station.  ..... just go the main street ( rue de gare?)  then turn left at the bottom.... then  take thenext right and you can't miss the castle.

by the castle, opposite the police station.  ..... just go the main street ( rue de gare?)  then turn left at the bottom.... then  take thenext right and you can't miss the castle.

steve b, Aug 19, 2011 @ 08:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi, on the question about moving from VD to GE, I'm also moving in that direction and I'm wondering if I should inform the tax office and Vaud AVS office about the move? 

Appreciate any advice you might have! 

Hi, on the question about moving from VD to GE, I'm also moving in that direction and I'm wondering if I should inform the tax office and Vaud AVS office about the move? 

Appreciate any advice you might have! 

Thi Thu L, Dec 20, 2023 @ 12:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 3351 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form