Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Moving to France: Cancel car leasing early?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to France: Cancel car leasing early?

Hi. Everyone

At the end of this year I & my husband will move from Geneva to our new house we bought in France and we will become frontaliers.

The financial adviser at the bank who arranged our mortgage told us that we are not allowed to bring a car financed in Switzerland to France.

Is there any options to keep the car except to pay the amount of money we owe? 

Before I contact the car deler who sold us car I would like to seek some advice from those who went through this or are familiar with this matter.

Thank you very much for your assistance in advance

Sarasa

The text you are quoting:

Hi. Everyone

At the end of this year I & my husband will move from Geneva to our new house we bought in France and we will become frontaliers.

The financial adviser at the bank who arranged our mortgage told us that we are not allowed to bring a car financed in Switzerland to France.

Is there any options to keep the car except to pay the amount of money we owe? 

Before I contact the car deler who sold us car I would like to seek some advice from those who went through this or are familiar with this matter.

Thank you very much for your assistance in advance

Sarasa

sarasaNov 15, 2011 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1961 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to France: Cancel car leasing early?
Post 1

Hi,

Yep this is all to do with the code that refers to leasing on the Karte Gris... you cant transfer ownership/country number plates  as long as the leasing is outstanding.

You can try one of the following:

1) Ask the French bank where you have your mortgage, or a French leasing firm if they would be prepared to take on the leasing of the car, ie they pay the Swiss leasing firm all the amount, you export the car from Switzerland to France and pay the monthly lease in Fr to the new leasing Co/bank..

2) If the lease is with a car firm (ie BMW leasing or such like) then speak to the dealer, explain you've purchased a house in France, and need to export the car and transfer the lease to BMW Leasing in France. He will help since the car firm still get the interest etc...

3) Get the Swiss Company (employer) to take on the lease...depends where you or hubby works and in what capacity obviously... then the plates stay Genevois, and the car stays Swiss.

4) Get a personal loan, pay off the Swiss lease, and export the car yourself. (expensive option visavis interest rates IMHO)

5) Give the car back to the leasing firm... and buy a new one in France. (You may have a residual amount to pay).

Hope this helps, good luck.

Hi,

Yep this is all to do with the code that refers to leasing on the Karte Gris... you cant transfer ownership/country number plates  as long as the leasing is outstanding.

You can try one of the following:

1) Ask the French bank where you have your mortgage, or a French leasing firm if they would be prepared to take on the leasing of the car, ie they pay the Swiss leasing firm all the amount, you export the car from Switzerland to France and pay the monthly lease in Fr to the new leasing Co/bank..

2) If the lease is with a car firm (ie BMW leasing or such like) then speak to the dealer, explain you've purchased a house in France, and need to export the car and transfer the lease to BMW Leasing in France. He will help since the car firm still get the interest etc...

3) Get the Swiss Company (employer) to take on the lease...depends where you or hubby works and in what capacity obviously... then the plates stay Genevois, and the car stays Swiss.

4) Get a personal loan, pay off the Swiss lease, and export the car yourself. (expensive option visavis interest rates IMHO)

5) Give the car back to the leasing firm... and buy a new one in France. (You may have a residual amount to pay).

Hope this helps, good luck.

Charlie, Nov 16, 2011 @ 08:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi. Chalie 

Great!! I didn't know there are so many options.

I've been stressed out with house moving malarchy but am feeling much better now.

Thank you so much for your great advice.

sarasa

Hi. Chalie 

Great!! I didn't know there are so many options.

I've been stressed out with house moving malarchy but am feeling much better now.

Thank you so much for your great advice.

sarasa

sarasa, Nov 16, 2011 @ 17:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Charlie,

I have the same question but vice versa.  I am thinking about taking over a lease in France but I live in Lausanne.  Can i lease a car in France and yet still import it into Switzerland?  Or must I buy the car outright?  

thanks for any advice.

Chloe

Hi Charlie,

I have the same question but vice versa.  I am thinking about taking over a lease in France but I live in Lausanne.  Can i lease a car in France and yet still import it into Switzerland?  Or must I buy the car outright?  

thanks for any advice.

Chloe

Chloe Labelle, Dec 23, 2016 @ 07:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

No you will not be able to register the car as long as it is leased

No you will not be able to register the car as long as it is leased

bellah, Dec 23, 2016 @ 09:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Gaurav P, Dec 23, 2016 @ 20:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1961 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form