Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Moving to Geneva dont know where to look for a home

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to Geneva dont know where to look for a home

Hi everyone, my husband and I are seriously looking at Geneva to relocate end of year or feb next.  my husband is swiss and speaks french, im american and speak french.

we are a couple and we are looking to start a family while there, so an apartment would not be our first choice, so i guess we should look in the "suburbs" or outside Geneva city.

i know Geneva is VERY quiet which will be hard to get used to since we have lived in London, Paris and New York but i am willing to sacrifice "city center" for a bigger space to live.

my question is, which towns would you recommend in Geneva/ outside Geneva that are upscale, are not totally "dead" (i mean some social life? stores) close to the city center (we both will have our cars)... 

have checked Vandoeuvres, Bernex, Confignon, Eux-vives, champel, carouge

will appreciate any help and advice of where i should start looking.

Thanks a million!!!

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone, my husband and I are seriously looking at Geneva to relocate end of year or feb next.  my husband is swiss and speaks french, im american and speak french.

we are a couple and we are looking to start a family while there, so an apartment would not be our first choice, so i guess we should look in the "suburbs" or outside Geneva city.

i know Geneva is VERY quiet which will be hard to get used to since we have lived in London, Paris and New York but i am willing to sacrifice "city center" for a bigger space to live.

my question is, which towns would you recommend in Geneva/ outside Geneva that are upscale, are not totally "dead" (i mean some social life? stores) close to the city center (we both will have our cars)... 

have checked Vandoeuvres, Bernex, Confignon, Eux-vives, champel, carouge

will appreciate any help and advice of where i should start looking.

Thanks a million!!!

nilsa fJun 19, 2010 @ 18:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 873 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to Geneva dont know where to look for a home
Post 1

Hi Nilsa

Don't let the size of Geneva fool you. I have met people born and bred here but discoveing Glocals changed their view of their own (not so) quiet city.

Just join a few groups or watch the acitivities here and you will see what a wonderfully active (and healthy) place Geneva is. And due to all the organisations here (UN, CERN, financials, Red Cross & NGOs) Geneva has much higher concentration of intelligent and cultured people than pretty much anywhere else in the world.

OK, firstly I'd say: look uo homegate.ch for property.

Eaux Vives, where I live, by the standards of any other city is pretty much central Geneva. I walk into the city centre in less 15 minutes. I am told Champel (just minutes from Eaux Vives) is propbably the most upmarket part of the city along with Florissant. Champel is quiet but the city entertainment, and quait "old town" (historic centre of the city) are minutes away on foot.

Plain Palais is just the other side of the old town and is pretty lively.

But if you need space then the suburbs must be the main option. I don't know them well enough to comment but many are just 10 - 20 minutes drive. Just watch this space and whole bunch of wondrful people will chip in with their info.

Nir, where are you mate?

Hi Nilsa

Don't let the size of Geneva fool you. I have met people born and bred here but discoveing Glocals changed their view of their own (not so) quiet city.

Just join a few groups or watch the acitivities here and you will see what a wonderfully active (and healthy) place Geneva is. And due to all the organisations here (UN, CERN, financials, Red Cross & NGOs) Geneva has much higher concentration of intelligent and cultured people than pretty much anywhere else in the world.

OK, firstly I'd say: look uo homegate.ch for property.

Eaux Vives, where I live, by the standards of any other city is pretty much central Geneva. I walk into the city centre in less 15 minutes. I am told Champel (just minutes from Eaux Vives) is propbably the most upmarket part of the city along with Florissant. Champel is quiet but the city entertainment, and quait "old town" (historic centre of the city) are minutes away on foot.

Plain Palais is just the other side of the old town and is pretty lively.

But if you need space then the suburbs must be the main option. I don't know them well enough to comment but many are just 10 - 20 minutes drive. Just watch this space and whole bunch of wondrful people will chip in with their info.

Nir, where are you mate?

Bizhan, Jun 19, 2010 @ 18:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks so much Bizhan! I will look into some of the places you suggested.  i think i am thinking suburbs because of the amount of furniture we have LOL also we have a cat and dog that like to "roam" the garden and i dont what to keep them locked in an apartment. 

i have been checking all the activities and have to say WOW this looks promising!

Thanks so much Bizhan! I will look into some of the places you suggested.  i think i am thinking suburbs because of the amount of furniture we have LOL also we have a cat and dog that like to "roam" the garden and i dont what to keep them locked in an apartment. 

i have been checking all the activities and have to say WOW this looks promising!

nilsa f, Jun 19, 2010 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I know what you mean about furniture. I had to rethink bringing mine here from England.

Many people including Swiss colleagues actually live over the border in France. The border is approximatel 3 - 5 km away from most oarts of Geneva :-)

Some of those people have selected France as their tax jurisdiction ... it works out much cheaper for them. And there, they get much more choice for shopping and lower prices too. Others travel form Geneva into France to get their weekly groceries .. for greater choice and better value.

Good luck

I know what you mean about furniture. I had to rethink bringing mine here from England.

Many people including Swiss colleagues actually live over the border in France. The border is approximatel 3 - 5 km away from most oarts of Geneva :-)

Some of those people have selected France as their tax jurisdiction ... it works out much cheaper for them. And there, they get much more choice for shopping and lower prices too. Others travel form Geneva into France to get their weekly groceries .. for greater choice and better value.

Good luck

Bizhan, Jun 19, 2010 @ 19:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yes, we have ours stored and dont want to part with it or store it again to be in an apartment, so house is the way to go.  i know Geneva is expensive, and shopping in France sounds like fun.  i will just check out online places to live and hope something pans out :)

Yes, we have ours stored and dont want to part with it or store it again to be in an apartment, so house is the way to go.  i know Geneva is expensive, and shopping in France sounds like fun.  i will just check out online places to live and hope something pans out :)

nilsa f, Jun 20, 2010 @ 12:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 873 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form