Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > New in Ferney Voltaire - flat and storage?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New in Ferney Voltaire - flat and storage?

Hello,

I will start a job in Ferney in July. Any advice for finding a furnished flat for max 1.000 euros in Ferney or further away on the cities connected by bus F?

Also, anyone can reccomend a storage place in Pays de Gex where I can send and store my suitcases while I look for an apartment (in case I don't find one before going there)?

Thank you and hope to meet some of the exapts in the area once I move in!

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

I will start a job in Ferney in July. Any advice for finding a furnished flat for max 1.000 euros in Ferney or further away on the cities connected by bus F?

Also, anyone can reccomend a storage place in Pays de Gex where I can send and store my suitcases while I look for an apartment (in case I don't find one before going there)?

Thank you and hope to meet some of the exapts in the area once I move in!

Magda MMay 3, 2017 @ 17:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 1551 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New in Ferney Voltaire - flat and storage?
Post 1

Unfortunately, the F bus runs only between Ferney (France) and Geneva (Switzerland) so if you are working in France you won’t be able to live in Switzerland.

Unfortunately, the F bus runs only between Ferney (France) and Geneva (Switzerland) so if you are working in France you won’t be able to live in Switzerland.

Ritchie, May 3, 2017 @ 21:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

That's not exactly true!

Bus F runs from Cornavin (Geneva main railway station) but up to Gex.

You might find some decent furnished accommodation in Ferney for 1,000 EUR but you may also find something a bit cheaper further away: Ornex, Cessy and even Gex. 

But keep in mind that the bus F runs only every hour after 10 pm which will restrain your social life if you want to go out in Geneva. 

That's not exactly true!

You might find some decent furnished accommodation in Ferney for 1,000 EUR but you may also find something a bit cheaper further away: Ornex, Cessy and even Gex. 

But keep in mind that the bus F runs only every hour after 10 pm which will restrain your social life if you want to go out in Geneva. 

Richard B, May 3, 2017 @ 23:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

That's not exactly true!

May 3, 17 23:24

Thank you for the useful information but I don’t think Ornex, Cessy and Gex can be called cities.

Thank you for the useful information but I don’t think Ornex, Cessy and Gex can be called cities.

Ritchie, May 4, 2017 @ 05:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yes, that's what I saw on the Bus company website. since I will have a french salary I don't think I will be going out in Geneva more than the weekends, so it should be fine to be "exiled" in the small city life :)

Yes, that's what I saw on the Bus company website. since I will have a french salary I don't think I will be going out in Geneva more than the weekends, so it should be fine to be "exiled" in the small city life :)

Magda M, May 4, 2017 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

It's true, they look more like glorified villages, but I wouldn't mind living there if I find decend accomodation.

It's true, they look more like glorified villages, but I wouldn't mind living there if I find decend accomodation.

Magda M, May 4, 2017 @ 09:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

@Ritchie:  did I call them "cities" ? I lived in Ferney and know most of these villages quite well.

Maga, you will find it very pleasant to live there and Geneva is not that far away. Ferney has a decent cinema and a nice pub as well.

@Ritchie:  did I call them "cities" ? I lived in Ferney and know most of these villages quite well.

Maga, you will find it very pleasant to live there and Geneva is not that far away. Ferney has a decent cinema and a nice pub as well.

Richard B, May 4, 2017 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

May 4, 17 13:47

Thank you, I hope to find a place to live as well. Any underground recommendation? I'm allready looking at Foncia, Le boncoin and Seloger daily but not much luck within my budget.

Thank you, I hope to find a place to live as well. Any underground recommendation? I'm allready looking at Foncia, Le boncoin and Seloger daily but not much luck within my budget.

Magda M, May 4, 2017 @ 14:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

May 4, 17 13:47

@ Richard

It was Magda who used the word “cities” not you.  I made the comment because I didn’t want the reality to fall short of what appeared to be her expectations.

@ Richard

It was Magda who used the word “cities” not you.  I made the comment because I didn’t want the reality to fall short of what appeared to be her expectations.

Ritchie, May 4, 2017 @ 14:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Quick update: managed to find a place to stay! Any glocals living in Ferney? Are there meetings being organised?

Quick update: managed to find a place to stay! Any glocals living in Ferney? Are there meetings being organised?

Magda M, Jul 2, 2017 @ 18:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I do! Bienvenue...

Meetings I have no idea tough, there is a glocals group which is not very active (but there is an event for next Bastille Day).

http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva/ferney-group.htm

I do! Bienvenue...

Meetings I have no idea tough, there is a glocals group which is not very active (but there is an event for next Bastille Day).

http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva/ferney-group.htm

Paul D, Jul 3, 2017 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

angle21, Jul 3, 2017 @ 23:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi Magda,

grgeat that you found your flat in Ferney so fast! I live here and fully fell in love with this place. If you think about meeting or joining for a walk,cycle let me know:)

Nadia

Hi Magda,

grgeat that you found your flat in Ferney so fast! I live here and fully fell in love with this place. If you think about meeting or joining for a walk,cycle let me know:)

Nadia

Nadia Z, Jul 8, 2017 @ 20:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hello! Is anybody going to leave Ferney in September (or knows of anybody who will) and could share info on available furnished flats? I will be eternally thankful and it will also boost your karma!

Hello! Is anybody going to leave Ferney in September (or knows of anybody who will) and could share info on available furnished flats? I will be eternally thankful and it will also boost your karma!

Monika H, Jul 9, 2017 @ 15:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Jul 9, 17 15:37

From my intense search, furnished flats are a rare find: I saw only two or three advertised on LeBonCoin, very often super expensive. The easiest thing would be to find someone leaving the flat and buy some of the furniture from them. 

There are some FB groups quite active where you might have a chance to find this rare gem, but maybe not in Ferney, but a bit further (the flat I found is between Ornex and Moens). 

The groups I found are:

Pays de Gex à louer, bouche à oreille

Immobilier Pays-de-Gex

Bon plan Pays de Gex

From my intense search, furnished flats are a rare find: I saw only two or three advertised on LeBonCoin, very often super expensive. The easiest thing would be to find someone leaving the flat and buy some of the furniture from them. 

There are some FB groups quite active where you might have a chance to find this rare gem, but maybe not in Ferney, but a bit further (the flat I found is between Ornex and Moens). 

The groups I found are:

Pays de Gex à louer, bouche à oreille

Immobilier Pays-de-Gex

Bon plan Pays de Gex

Magda M, Jul 10, 2017 @ 12:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 1551 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form