Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Not possible to start a small jewellery busniss in Geneva for English speaking people ?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Not possible to start a small jewellery busniss in Geneva for English speaking people ?

Hi,

I've been thinking to start a small jewellery business in Geneva,and I even bought some sample jewellery, I tried some shops here but the initial feedback was not positive. Since I am still new to Geneva and I just speak a little bit French and it's difficult to communicate with the local people. Maybe I should give up this idea at the moment? Just curious if there is anybody here who has experienced a similar situation and how did you manage to move forward? Thank you.

BTW, if anybody is interested in my jewelly samples, just call me at (079 555 2206) or send me an email to "[email protected], I need to  get rid of them before I could find a business solution. They are high quality stuff (mainly freshwater pearl necklaces/earrings and some Semi-Precious Gemstones necklaces), I will give you the best price.

Kind Regards,

S

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I've been thinking to start a small jewellery business in Geneva,and I even bought some sample jewellery, I tried some shops here but the initial feedback was not positive. Since I am still new to Geneva and I just speak a little bit French and it's difficult to communicate with the local people. Maybe I should give up this idea at the moment? Just curious if there is anybody here who has experienced a similar situation and how did you manage to move forward? Thank you.

BTW, if anybody is interested in my jewelly samples, just call me at (079 555 2206) or send me an email to "[email protected], I need to  get rid of them before I could find a business solution. They are high quality stuff (mainly freshwater pearl necklaces/earrings and some Semi-Precious Gemstones necklaces), I will give you the best price.

Kind Regards,

S

selenauk HFeb 17, 2011 @ 15:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 987 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Not possible to start a small jewellery busniss in Geneva for English speaking people ?
Post 1

Two years ago I worked for an artist in Geneva and she sold jewelry in the shops here.. It took SEVERAL years before she had any success.. And she encountered two main problems.  1.  The jewelry was priced too high for the people it would appeal too (Late teens, early 20's) and 2. It didn't look worth the price to the people who had money to pay it.  Geneva does have much of a 'middle market' to me, in most things.. cothes.. restaurants..jewelry.  Its either cheap, or expensive... Very little is average priced

The type of Jewelry sounds very similiar to what you described..  It took her awhile, but eventually stores here were selling it.

No harm in trying.. You can't win if you dont play ;)

Two years ago I worked for an artist in Geneva and she sold jewelry in the shops here.. It took SEVERAL years before she had any success.. And she encountered two main problems.  1.  The jewelry was priced too high for the people it would appeal too (Late teens, early 20's) and 2. It didn't look worth the price to the people who had money to pay it.  Geneva does have much of a 'middle market' to me, in most things.. cothes.. restaurants..jewelry.  Its either cheap, or expensive... Very little is average priced

The type of Jewelry sounds very similiar to what you described..  It took her awhile, but eventually stores here were selling it.

No harm in trying.. You can't win if you dont play ;)

Lexillent, Feb 17, 2011 @ 17:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Not possible to start a small jewellery busniss in Geneva for English speaking people ?
Post 2

Hello Lexillent,

Thank you so much for your response and kind advice. Yes, it's always good to try, and hopefully I  could "win" one day. Laughing

You mentioned a very important point here is about how to target the jewelry customers and from the financial point of view, I think i shoud go to the low end but for pearl product, i am afraid those late teens may think pearls are not their style and which are belong to people at more than 30+? I saw a lot of ladies around 40 or 50 year old who more like wearing pearl earrings or necklace, while women at this age, their consuming desires are more rational, i mean it's bit difficult to sell them something. hehehe. another dilemma—?

Well, most of my pearl products would be below CHF 100 (except those great stuff), and I assume that the price is competitive? What do you think?

have a nice weekend and thank you again for the suggestions and encouragement.

Hello Lexillent,

Thank you so much for your response and kind advice. Yes, it's always good to try, and hopefully I  could "win" one day. Laughing

You mentioned a very important point here is about how to target the jewelry customers and from the financial point of view, I think i shoud go to the low end but for pearl product, i am afraid those late teens may think pearls are not their style and which are belong to people at more than 30+? I saw a lot of ladies around 40 or 50 year old who more like wearing pearl earrings or necklace, while women at this age, their consuming desires are more rational, i mean it's bit difficult to sell them something. hehehe. another dilemma—?

Well, most of my pearl products would be below CHF 100 (except those great stuff), and I assume that the price is competitive? What do you think?

have a nice weekend and thank you again for the suggestions and encouragement.

selenauk H, Feb 18, 2011 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

100 CHF for pearls is quite reasonable (i would think).. its about what a normal set in a department store would range in the U.S. 70-300.  All my pearls were purchased in the phillipines, which were obviously quite reduced.  I think the market for pearls and things are about 25+ . but you can still get the super preppy little girls (i was once one ;) ) who do like a string of pink pearls to complement a nice lacoste

You mentioned needing to unload things quickly...Post some photos of what you have and put it on the classifieds.  I think you find alot of girls in my age range, with the taste for classier / simpler pieces, and not quite the money to unload in a jewelry store.

- Alexis

100 CHF for pearls is quite reasonable (i would think).. its about what a normal set in a department store would range in the U.S. 70-300.  All my pearls were purchased in the phillipines, which were obviously quite reduced.  I think the market for pearls and things are about 25+ . but you can still get the super preppy little girls (i was once one ;) ) who do like a string of pink pearls to complement a nice lacoste

You mentioned needing to unload things quickly...Post some photos of what you have and put it on the classifieds.  I think you find alot of girls in my age range, with the taste for classier / simpler pieces, and not quite the money to unload in a jewelry store.

- Alexis

Lexillent, Feb 18, 2011 @ 12:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Go international; try to sell them through Etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/

Go international; try to sell them through Etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/

Casuistik, Feb 18, 2011 @ 13:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Alexis,

You are so efficient for helping people. Thanks for the prompt reply. Great idea! some pictures, yes, i do have some and even made a PPT file. I will upload some to see if people like them or not.will do it now! Laughing

I personnelly like pearls very much, they are very elegant and also go well with casual clothes and I think every lady should have at least one piece. expecially for those super preppy little girls now became super pretty ladies, hehe.

Alexis,

You are so efficient for helping people. Thanks for the prompt reply. Great idea! some pictures, yes, i do have some and even made a PPT file. I will upload some to see if people like them or not.will do it now! Laughing

I personnelly like pearls very much, they are very elegant and also go well with casual clothes and I think every lady should have at least one piece. expecially for those super preppy little girls now became super pretty ladies, hehe.

selenauk H, Feb 18, 2011 @ 13:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Casuistik,

Thank you very much indeed for this link. The website looks very neat! ( I didn't know this website before) Will do some study on it to see how to use it, is it like ebay?

Casuistik,

Thank you very much indeed for this link. The website looks very neat! ( I didn't know this website before) Will do some study on it to see how to use it, is it like ebay?

selenauk H, Feb 18, 2011 @ 13:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

here are some of the pix, pls let me know how you like it

here are some of the pix, pls let me know how you like it

selenauk H, Feb 18, 2011 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

more-....

more-....

selenauk H, Feb 18, 2011 @ 13:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

selenauk H, Feb 18, 2011 @ 14:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

selenauk H, Feb 18, 2011 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

some semi-precious stone necklace--

some semi-precious stone necklace--

selenauk H, Feb 18, 2011 @ 14:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

those are some of the samples I brought here. I assuemed that they are not out of fashion,actually some of them are designed for Europe and American market. but really I have no idea how people here will like them. If anyone like one of them, just leave let me know and I would like to sell them. Start a business is not as easy as I thought, I need to plan it more. thanks very much again for Alexis and Casuistik's helpful suggestions!!

those are some of the samples I brought here. I assuemed that they are not out of fashion,actually some of them are designed for Europe and American market. but really I have no idea how people here will like them. If anyone like one of them, just leave let me know and I would like to sell them. Start a business is not as easy as I thought, I need to plan it more. thanks very much again for Alexis and Casuistik's helpful suggestions!!

selenauk H, Feb 18, 2011 @ 14:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 987 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form