Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Old fallout shelters in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Old fallout shelters in Geneva

Hi all,

A bit of a weird one...

I'm writing something about nuclear bunkers in Switzerland and I was wondering if anybody knew if there was any way I could gain access to one in Geneva?

Or alternatively, does anyone actually have one that I could come and see...?

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

A bit of a weird one...

I'm writing something about nuclear bunkers in Switzerland and I was wondering if anybody knew if there was any way I could gain access to one in Geneva?

Or alternatively, does anyone actually have one that I could come and see...?

K BAug 28, 2014 @ 21:18
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1647 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Old fallout shelters in Geneva
Post 1

There’s one across the street from where I live in the Eaux-Vives.  It’s used as an overnight shelter for the homeless in the winter.  Some years ago, it was also available around the time of the “Fêtes de Genève” for coach party tourists (mainly from eastern Europe at that time), but that arrangement seems not to be operative any longer.

I think the bunker’s also used for refresher “Protection civile” courses, but am not certain about that.

R.

There’s one across the street from where I live in the Eaux-Vives.  It’s used as an overnight shelter for the homeless in the winter.  Some years ago, it was also available around the time of the “Fêtes de Genève” for coach party tourists (mainly from eastern Europe at that time), but that arrangement seems not to be operative any longer.

I think the bunker’s also used for refresher “Protection civile” courses, but am not certain about that.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 28, 2014 @ 23:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Here is the litterature about it (French)

Protection civile: abris

Here is the litterature about it (French)

Protection civile: abris

Casuistik, Aug 29, 2014 @ 00:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you Ritchie! I think I'm going to cycle up to see the one you're talking about tonight (I also live in EV) but everyone at the securitie civile seems to be away until Tuesday so I guess I won't be looking round it...

Casuistik, thank you! So helpful.

Thank you Ritchie! I think I'm going to cycle up to see the one you're talking about tonight (I also live in EV) but everyone at the securitie civile seems to be away until Tuesday so I guess I won't be looking round it...

Casuistik, thank you! So helpful.

K B, Aug 29, 2014 @ 09:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

If it’s of any interest, it is also possible to apply for authorized visits to certain bunkers and tunnels used by the Swiss Army in WWII.

R.

If it’s of any interest, it is also possible to apply for authorized visits to certain bunkers and tunnels used by the Swiss Army in WWII.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 29, 2014 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Yes, that would be fascinating, thanks Ritchie. Do you know who I'd apply to? I wonder if it would be the civil security people who I called this morning...

Am I right in thinking the EV bunker is beneath the Richemont stadium?

Yes, that would be fascinating, thanks Ritchie. Do you know who I'd apply to? I wonder if it would be the civil security people who I called this morning...

Am I right in thinking the EV bunker is beneath the Richemont stadium?

K B, Aug 29, 2014 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I’ll ask around and let you know – if our knowledgeable friend Casuistik doesn’t get in first.

I’ll ask around and let you know – if our knowledgeable friend Casuistik doesn’t get in first.

Ritchie, Aug 29, 2014 @ 14:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

2 shelters in EV

check the article

2 shelters in EV

check the article

Casuistik, Aug 29, 2014 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Almost all buildings in Geneva have fallout shelters in the underground - it's mandatory.  Of course they are now used as cellars, for storing old stuff and bikes.

Almost all buildings in Geneva have fallout shelters in the underground - it's mandatory.  Of course they are now used as cellars, for storing old stuff and bikes.

TheOmegaMan, Aug 29, 2014 @ 15:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

The older buildings in GE didn’t have basement storage – attics being more the norm in those days -- so the authorities converted the  basements of other buildings to serve as fall-out shelters and we were all informed, by letter, where we were to take refuge if ever.

The shelter I mentioned in my first post is in the basement of a primary school which was erected in, I tbink, the late 1970s.

For those who don’t happen to know, the Swiss Government issued leaflets giving advice on the household items to be stored in basements – apart from obvious foodstuffs, we were urged to have enormous quantities of candles, matches, a flash-light and stuff like soap, soap powder, loo paper, etc.

Still, having a red-and-white passport encouraged me to comply, only thieves broke in and pinched the lot.  Luckily, there wasn’t a fall-out before I got in replacement stock.

The older buildings in GE didn’t have basement storage – attics being more the norm in those days -- so the authorities converted the  basements of other buildings to serve as fall-out shelters and we were all informed, by letter, where we were to take refuge if ever.

The shelter I mentioned in my first post is in the basement of a primary school which was erected in, I tbink, the late 1970s.

For those who don’t happen to know, the Swiss Government issued leaflets giving advice on the household items to be stored in basements – apart from obvious foodstuffs, we were urged to have enormous quantities of candles, matches, a flash-light and stuff like soap, soap powder, loo paper, etc.

Still, having a red-and-white passport encouraged me to comply, only thieves broke in and pinched the lot.  Luckily, there wasn’t a fall-out before I got in replacement stock.

Ritchie, Aug 29, 2014 @ 16:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, Ritchie. But lucky for all of us :)

It's a fascinating subject. I could write a book!

Looks like I'll only get to see Richemont shelter from the outside tonight, but I'm going to try for a peek indoors next week, once the civil security people are back.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, Ritchie. But lucky for all of us :)

It's a fascinating subject. I could write a book!

Looks like I'll only get to see Richemont shelter from the outside tonight, but I'm going to try for a peek indoors next week, once the civil security people are back.

K B, Aug 29, 2014 @ 17:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1647 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form