Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > One Person's Chronicle of Crime in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
One Person's Chronicle of Crime in Geneva

Now that the warm season is approaching (along with the spring to autumn crime season), it might be interesting to chronicle one person's experiences with crime in Geneva.  Hopefully this will be the most boring thread.  But perhaps it might give a real impression (and hopefully again, not a reality show impression).

Whenever I, my wife, or a 26 year old jobseeker I know experience a crime, I will note it in this thread as soon as I can after it happens.  I include my wife and the young jobseeker because I personally trust the accuracy of their statements if they experience any crime.  Any incidents may or may not be formally reported to the police.

If this thread causes great offense, please do let me know.

Thanks for your interest.

The text you are quoting:

Now that the warm season is approaching (along with the spring to autumn crime season), it might be interesting to chronicle one person's experiences with crime in Geneva.  Hopefully this will be the most boring thread.  But perhaps it might give a real impression (and hopefully again, not a reality show impression).

Whenever I, my wife, or a 26 year old jobseeker I know experience a crime, I will note it in this thread as soon as I can after it happens.  I include my wife and the young jobseeker because I personally trust the accuracy of their statements if they experience any crime.  Any incidents may or may not be formally reported to the police.

If this thread causes great offense, please do let me know.

Thanks for your interest.

TheBigKahunaApr 18, 2012 @ 12:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

27 Replies | 1851 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: One Person's Chronicle of Crime in Geneva
Post 1

Sadly it has started already.  Friday, 13 February.

Young jobseeker got to know someone through G-locals.  They planned to go to the G-locals Spring party together.  They (two young ladies) met at the McDonalds near Plainpalais, then went to a nearby bar to wait until the party started.  At the bar, the friend discovered that her iPhone was missing from her bag that she had always kept with her (the theives are very good).  She knew the theft had to have happened at or near the McDonalds where she met the jobseeker.  The friend was french living in France Voisine.  This was the first time she has been robbed.  Distraught, she decided to leave immediately and did not go to the Party.

Sadly it has started already.  Friday, 13 February.

Young jobseeker got to know someone through G-locals.  They planned to go to the G-locals Spring party together.  They (two young ladies) met at the McDonalds near Plainpalais, then went to a nearby bar to wait until the party started.  At the bar, the friend discovered that her iPhone was missing from her bag that she had always kept with her (the theives are very good).  She knew the theft had to have happened at or near the McDonalds where she met the jobseeker.  The friend was french living in France Voisine.  This was the first time she has been robbed.  Distraught, she decided to leave immediately and did not go to the Party.

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Sorry "13 February" should be "13 April"

Sorry "13 February" should be "13 April"

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Yesterday, Tuesday afternoon, 18 April.

I was sitting having an afternoon coffee at Place du Molard.  I see a distressed girl running and screaming.  I look behind me (toward Rue de Rhone) and see a two men struggling.

A voleur had taken her handbag and ran.  Luckily at the turn from the Place to the Rue, the voleur's path was bottlenecked and there was a hefty good samaritan who grabbed him.

I ran from my table (lucky I was with a friend who watched my stuff) to them.  By the time I got there, a security officer had appeared.  He and the Samaritan led the voleur away with the relieved girl following.

Yesterday, Tuesday afternoon, 18 April.

I was sitting having an afternoon coffee at Place du Molard.  I see a distressed girl running and screaming.  I look behind me (toward Rue de Rhone) and see a two men struggling.

A voleur had taken her handbag and ran.  Luckily at the turn from the Place to the Rue, the voleur's path was bottlenecked and there was a hefty good samaritan who grabbed him.

I ran from my table (lucky I was with a friend who watched my stuff) to them.  By the time I got there, a security officer had appeared.  He and the Samaritan led the voleur away with the relieved girl following.

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

With the so maniest bullshit thread this time started by you on this topic with a rather serious tone, then atleast get your facts straight: The spring party wasn`t in February.

Secondly do us, the girl and yourself a favor: Don`t go outside, it`s too tough for you out there and we simply ain`t interested (except for Harry, get a room..)

Third; This topic exists, you are double posting and polluting this forum.

With the so maniest bullshit thread this time started by you on this topic with a rather serious tone, then atleast get your facts straight: The spring party wasn`t in February.

Secondly do us, the girl and yourself a favor: Don`t go outside, it`s too tough for you out there and we simply ain`t interested (except for Harry, get a room..)

ThomasNL, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I believe this post would qualify as being abusive and something should be done.  I would be grateful if someone could let me know what course of action would be taken.

I believe this post would qualify as being abusive and something should be done.  I would be grateful if someone could let me know what course of action would be taken.

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Apr 18, 12 12:42

For your info, you have been reported you to the Administrator.

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

This is indeed the most boring thread as suggested in your intial post, not because of the lack of contributors, but because of their sheer vacuity of the events you report.

This is indeed the most boring thread as suggested in your intial post, not because of the lack of contributors, but because of their sheer vacuity of the events you report.

Free, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I don't doubt that you feel the events are vacuous.  I would guess that the girl who had the iPhone stolen, and the lady who luckily got her handbag back would feel otherwise.

I don't doubt that you feel the events are vacuous.  I would guess that the girl who had the iPhone stolen, and the lady who luckily got her handbag back would feel otherwise.

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Apr 18, 12 13:08

And how is the vacuity of this thread going to help her? Shit happens, as you may be aware of: Snow White lost her virginity with the seven dwarfs, Prince Charming's grew grey hair and a beer belly, and not even a threat to relate their missfortune...

And how is the vacuity of this thread going to help her? Shit happens, as you may be aware of: Snow White lost her virginity with the seven dwarfs, Prince Charming's grew grey hair and a beer belly, and not even a threat to relate their missfortune...

Free, Apr 18, 2012 @ 13:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Well this thread may not help her.  But if it awareness of the crime problem and causes the community to accept and react to it . . . . perhaps the thread might help you one day?

Well this thread may not help her.  But if it awareness of the crime problem and causes the community to accept and react to it . . . . perhaps the thread might help you one day?

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread Reka.

I am curious thought, even if the victim of the beating was on drugs when he was beaten, how does that diminish the severity of being beaten?  (this is not sarcasm, I am genuinely interested)

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread Reka.

I am curious thought, even if the victim of the beating was on drugs when he was beaten, how does that diminish the severity of being beaten?  (this is not sarcasm, I am genuinely interested)

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Apr 18, 12 12:45

People offended as easy as you, should avoid any communication with the outside world to prevent their poor hearts getting hurt.

There are about 5 previous threads about this topic, still you decide to open another. I should be the one reporting you for the double post of this topic, but I just don`t care that much. Instead I will leave you and your topic alone.

People offended as easy as you, should avoid any communication with the outside world to prevent their poor hearts getting hurt.

There are about 5 previous threads about this topic, still you decide to open another. I should be the one reporting you for the double post of this topic, but I just don`t care that much. Instead I will leave you and your topic alone.

ThomasNL, Apr 18, 2012 @ 13:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Basic forum etiquette also states that you should not open a new thread on a topic that already exists. So I think, he and I are square now.

Basic forum etiquette also states that you should not open a new thread on a topic that already exists. So I think, he and I are square now.

ThomasNL, Apr 18, 2012 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Apr 18, 12 13:45

Well Thomas, whether you communication and language is abusive or not is best left to the Administration to decide.

If there is another post detailing over a full season the experiences of a specific person in (more of less) real time, please have someone direct me to it.  I would be very interested.

And many thanks for taking your time to read this.

Bye! Bye!

Well Thomas, whether you communication and language is abusive or not is best left to the Administration to decide.

If there is another post detailing over a full season the experiences of a specific person in (more of less) real time, please have someone direct me to it.  I would be very interested.

And many thanks for taking your time to read this.

Bye! Bye!

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 13:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

There is crime in Geneva?

douglas c, Apr 18, 2012 @ 13:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Apr 18, 12 13:58

Love it!

Love it!

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 14:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Apr 18, 12 13:58

I'm afraid so... including some serious ones such as reposting old forum threads, or even more heinous....being sarcastic  on them....I think that one cops a life sentence

I'm afraid so... including some serious ones such as reposting old forum threads, or even more heinous....being sarcastic  on them....I think that one cops a life sentence

brucelawson, Apr 18, 2012 @ 14:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

@Reka1123, I posted the thread originally relating to the a UN staff members son being attacked in Geneva. As I stated at the time, we got a security message encouraging us to share with people that something like this can happen to anyone and to be careful. Which I did.

Whether the guy was high, drunk or not he still had seven bells knocked out of him. Maybe he deserved it maybe he didn't. I just wanted to alert people to the escalated (and now documented) risks in that area of town.

@Reka1123, I posted the thread originally relating to the a UN staff members son being attacked in Geneva. As I stated at the time, we got a security message encouraging us to share with people that something like this can happen to anyone and to be careful. Which I did.

Whether the guy was high, drunk or not he still had seven bells knocked out of him. Maybe he deserved it maybe he didn't. I just wanted to alert people to the escalated (and now documented) risks in that area of town.

BCROVER, Apr 18, 2012 @ 14:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

This has HAYES written allover it. Please people just ignore it and move on.

catalin, Apr 18, 2012 @ 14:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Apr 18, 12 14:30

I don't know who Hayes is.  But I don't think I am him.

Indeed, I have met Nir and a few other G-local regulars, and with a bit of memory nudging, they probably would remember me.

I don't know who Hayes is.  But I don't think I am him.

Indeed, I have met Nir and a few other G-local regulars, and with a bit of memory nudging, they probably would remember me.

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

By the way, if this thread does not interest you, please do feel free to move on.  No one has to follow this thread?

By the way, if this thread does not interest you, please do feel free to move on.  No one has to follow this thread?

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 14:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Apr 18, 12 14:14

If by posting details about the UN circular, you raised awareness of the deteriorating crime situation, then you did Geneva a great service.  When the local press became aware of the circular (it took quite a few days or perhaps weeks if I remember correctly), the following story led to the public rebuke on a Federal level.  I have noticed a very sharply improvement in policing since then.

Well done!  You are as good a "Samaritan" as the fellow who stopped the handbag voleur!

If by posting details about the UN circular, you raised awareness of the deteriorating crime situation, then you did Geneva a great service.  When the local press became aware of the circular (it took quite a few days or perhaps weeks if I remember correctly), the following story led to the public rebuke on a Federal level.  I have noticed a very sharply improvement in policing since then.

Well done!  You are as good a "Samaritan" as the fellow who stopped the handbag voleur!

TheBigKahuna, Apr 18, 2012 @ 14:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Ow! What an unpleasant post, before calling attention to other peoples' faults, you might learn to spell or edit before you post, totally unnescessary and nasty.

Ow! What an unpleasant post, before calling attention to other peoples' faults, you might learn to spell or edit before you post, totally unnescessary and nasty.

hitchcockblo, Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

BRAVO to the authorities!  Smile

Over the past week+ there seems to have been a big drop in the presence of suspicious groups, beggars, con artists, etc. in formerly dodgy spots like the steps in front of Starbucks near the train station, the parking elevator in Plainpalais, and others.  Even the usual beggars in front of the UBS branches in Petit Sacconex and Plainpalais (often the same old lady seen for years with her "minder" sometimes smoking/hiding in the wings) are gone.

This seems to coincide with the cracking of a large organized gang (around 40+ arrests) who gathered daily on the border for transport around Geneva and Lac Leman.  The bust apparently was a joint operation by Geneva and Annemasse (French) police.

Street muscians and buskers seem to be coming back, and it's nice now to be able to drop some coins into their hats.  Even the remaining beggars seem less professional and more in true need.

Perhaps it is too late for this year's Mercer survey of world cities, but if this keeps up, Geneva's fomerly top ranking may be partly restored!

Lastly one incident to report (which happened before the big bust described above), a wheel chair bound friend in his seventies had his wallet lifted while in an elevator in Manor.  Police report was made.  With the improvement, this may hopefully be the last for this summer!

Best of the summer to all!

BRAVO to the authorities!  Smile

Over the past week+ there seems to have been a big drop in the presence of suspicious groups, beggars, con artists, etc. in formerly dodgy spots like the steps in front of Starbucks near the train station, the parking elevator in Plainpalais, and others.  Even the usual beggars in front of the UBS branches in Petit Sacconex and Plainpalais (often the same old lady seen for years with her "minder" sometimes smoking/hiding in the wings) are gone.

This seems to coincide with the cracking of a large organized gang (around 40+ arrests) who gathered daily on the border for transport around Geneva and Lac Leman.  The bust apparently was a joint operation by Geneva and Annemasse (French) police.

Street muscians and buskers seem to be coming back, and it's nice now to be able to drop some coins into their hats.  Even the remaining beggars seem less professional and more in true need.

Perhaps it is too late for this year's Mercer survey of world cities, but if this keeps up, Geneva's fomerly top ranking may be partly restored!

Lastly one incident to report (which happened before the big bust described above), a wheel chair bound friend in his seventies had his wallet lifted while in an elevator in Manor.  Police report was made.  With the improvement, this may hopefully be the last for this summer!

Best of the summer to all!

TheBigKahuna, Jul 9, 2012 @ 19:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Casuistik, Jul 10, 2012 @ 08:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Just came back from a visit to the Cornavin Starbucks (the stairs across used to be an infamous meeting point for the begging/theft gangs) and reflected on how peaceful it has been over the past two years compared to the "crime crisis"before.

The authorities responded slowly but very steadily with very good results in a uniquely cosmopolitan Swiss way.

Lovely to see.  Something to be learned from.

Just came back from a visit to the Cornavin Starbucks (the stairs across used to be an infamous meeting point for the begging/theft gangs) and reflected on how peaceful it has been over the past two years compared to the "crime crisis"before.

The authorities responded slowly but very steadily with very good results in a uniquely cosmopolitan Swiss way.

Lovely to see.  Something to be learned from.

TheBigKahuna, Apr 28, 2014 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Only when you have similar experience yourself, you can understand how TheBigKahuna feels. Just this last Friday, my apartment was burgalarized, during daytime, from 9:50 to 12:30 when I left for work. This is my third time in Geneva when I suffered bad loss due to theft or burgaliry. The first time was in the Geneva Hostel, the second time was behind the train station, from my car, this time, the thief went inside my apt. thru. the public terrace door, which the tenants have no keys or access. This is scary.

Only when you have similar experience yourself, you can understand how TheBigKahuna feels. Just this last Friday, my apartment was burgalarized, during daytime, from 9:50 to 12:30 when I left for work. This is my third time in Geneva when I suffered bad loss due to theft or burgaliry. The first time was in the Geneva Hostel, the second time was behind the train station, from my car, this time, the thief went inside my apt. thru. the public terrace door, which the tenants have no keys or access. This is scary.

Jen C, Mar 30, 2015 @ 15:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
27 Replies | 1851 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form