Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Public kindergarten in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Public kindergarten in Geneva

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can please provide some information on government/public kindergartens in Geneva.

We'll be moving from Australia to Geneva in early-April 2017, my son will have just turned 5. In Australia he would be starting school (preparatory year) this year. We were thinking that when we arrive we would send him to kindergarten for the last few months of the school year, before starting at school when the new year starts in August/Sept. He doesn't yet speak any French, so we think that a few months of play-based learning at kindergarten will be kinder to him than sending him directly to school in French...

I have read that there are REALLY long waitlists for pre-schools in Geneva, but I'm not sure if this is only for private and/or bilingual centers. We want him to pick up French so prefer to send him to the state kindergarten/school.

My questions are:

Once we have found a place to live, will my son automatically be accepted into the local public kindergarten, or will we need to waitlist?

I have read that children start elementary school in Switzerland at the age of 7. Is this the case in Geneva? My son will be 5.5 years old at the beginning of the 2017/2018 school year. Would he be expected to do another year of kindergarten, or to start at school?

Very grateful for any information you can share.

Thanks! 

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can please provide some information on government/public kindergartens in Geneva.

We'll be moving from Australia to Geneva in early-April 2017, my son will have just turned 5. In Australia he would be starting school (preparatory year) this year. We were thinking that when we arrive we would send him to kindergarten for the last few months of the school year, before starting at school when the new year starts in August/Sept. He doesn't yet speak any French, so we think that a few months of play-based learning at kindergarten will be kinder to him than sending him directly to school in French...

I have read that there are REALLY long waitlists for pre-schools in Geneva, but I'm not sure if this is only for private and/or bilingual centers. We want him to pick up French so prefer to send him to the state kindergarten/school.

My questions are:

Once we have found a place to live, will my son automatically be accepted into the local public kindergarten, or will we need to waitlist?

I have read that children start elementary school in Switzerland at the age of 7. Is this the case in Geneva? My son will be 5.5 years old at the beginning of the 2017/2018 school year. Would he be expected to do another year of kindergarten, or to start at school?

Thanks! 

Sophie LDec 10, 2016 @ 12:57
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 2624 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Public kindergarten in Geneva
Post 1

Hi Sophie,

We are in the same situation, moving from Hungary to Geneva next year. My kids are 3 and 5 so would be very interested as well to know more about this... We might need to find an apartment in the area where a kindergarden is more easily available as I know they must to attend a (public) kindergarden in the same area where they live.

Robert

Hi Sophie,

We are in the same situation, moving from Hungary to Geneva next year. My kids are 3 and 5 so would be very interested as well to know more about this... We might need to find an apartment in the area where a kindergarden is more easily available as I know they must to attend a (public) kindergarden in the same area where they live.

Robert

Robert S, Dec 10, 2016 @ 18:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Government site is here. http://ge.ch/dip/enseignement/en-bref-schema/4-12-ans

Kids start school if they are 4 by the 31 July.

Government site is here. http://ge.ch/dip/enseignement/en-bref-schema/4-12-ans

Kids start school if they are 4 by the 31 July.

Edna J, Dec 14, 2016 @ 18:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks Edna, will check out the link.

Thanks Edna, will check out the link.

Sophie L, Dec 15, 2016 @ 06:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi all,

My questions are:

Thanks! 

Dec 10, 16 12:57

Welcome to Geneva. In Geneva they start primary school at age 4. It is really more of playing and learning the basics for the first 2 years like the alphabet. My daughter is in 3P and is only just now starting to write in school. The child has to be 4 yo by the 31 July for them to join 1P. So I guess depending on your child's date of birth he will be joining 1P or 2P. Normally because those classes are not really learning anything major, it does not matter if he speaks the language or not. If you leave him in school for the lunch hours or the afterschool (para scholaire) at least 3 days a week then he can progress faster in the French.

Once you have an address in Geneva even if it is temporary, your child is automatically registered in the local school unless you specifically mention that you want him in private school.

In Geneva there is no kindergarten. The long waiting list is for daycare which can be as long as 2 years wait for children between 0-4 years old.

Welcome to Geneva. In Geneva they start primary school at age 4. It is really more of playing and learning the basics for the first 2 years like the alphabet. My daughter is in 3P and is only just now starting to write in school. The child has to be 4 yo by the 31 July for them to join 1P. So I guess depending on your child's date of birth he will be joining 1P or 2P. Normally because those classes are not really learning anything major, it does not matter if he speaks the language or not. If you leave him in school for the lunch hours or the afterschool (para scholaire) at least 3 days a week then he can progress faster in the French.

Once you have an address in Geneva even if it is temporary, your child is automatically registered in the local school unless you specifically mention that you want him in private school.

In Geneva there is no kindergarten. The long waiting list is for daycare which can be as long as 2 years wait for children between 0-4 years old.

Marcy S, Dec 15, 2016 @ 15:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 2624 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form