Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Renting apartment before moving to Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Renting apartment before moving to Geneva

Hi All! I will transfer to Geneva in October but would like, if possible, to rent the apartment before moving. As I have seen that among the documents to be submitted to the "regies" an "Extrait du registre des poursuites" has to be provided, do you know if one released by the country where I am leaving now (Belgium) would be ok? Thanks in advance! Paola

The text you are quoting:

Hi All! I will transfer to Geneva in October but would like, if possible, to rent the apartment before moving. As I have seen that among the documents to be submitted to the "regies" an "Extrait du registre des poursuites" has to be provided, do you know if one released by the country where I am leaving now (Belgium) would be ok? Thanks in advance! Paola

Paola BAug 6, 2017 @ 11:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 1981 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Renting apartment before moving to Geneva
Post 1

Hi! I think it would depend on the owner of the flat you are looking at. Regies would present a number of candidates, first they would need to consider your application as valid without having the Swiss "non poursuite" document. Then the owner must prefer your application to others in spite of not having the normal document. So while it is technically possible to do what you propose, it would be a flaw in your application in a context where you are competing with a lot of other people looking for a flat.

Btw, you would better to physically visit the flat before you rent it, there are a number of false adds online trying to scam people in renting something remotely and getting them to pay for the deposit.

Hi! I think it would depend on the owner of the flat you are looking at. Regies would present a number of candidates, first they would need to consider your application as valid without having the Swiss "non poursuite" document. Then the owner must prefer your application to others in spite of not having the normal document. So while it is technically possible to do what you propose, it would be a flaw in your application in a context where you are competing with a lot of other people looking for a flat.

Btw, you would better to physically visit the flat before you rent it, there are a number of false adds online trying to scam people in renting something remotely and getting them to pay for the deposit.

Francois F, Aug 8, 2017 @ 11:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Dear Francois,

Thanks a million for your advice! Indeed I am planning to personally come few days next week for house searching.

Thanks again.

Paola

Dear Francois,

Thanks a million for your advice! Indeed I am planning to personally come few days next week for house searching.

Thanks again.

Paola

Paola B, Aug 8, 2017 @ 12:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

From personal experience and other people's stories, I'd say it is very difficult to rent a flat in Geneva before building up some Swiss history (pay slips, permit, attestion de non-poursuite). It is difficult even for people who have been here for a while.

What worked very well for me was to live in a houseshare for the first months and then, once in Switzerland, look for a flat on my own.

If you use a rellocation agency (that usually charge expensive fees), the situation might be different. I personally dislike them because the add very little value, but they might work if you're willing to waste a few thousand francs.

From personal experience and other people's stories, I'd say it is very difficult to rent a flat in Geneva before building up some Swiss history (pay slips, permit, attestion de non-poursuite). It is difficult even for people who have been here for a while.

What worked very well for me was to live in a houseshare for the first months and then, once in Switzerland, look for a flat on my own.

If you use a rellocation agency (that usually charge expensive fees), the situation might be different. I personally dislike them because the add very little value, but they might work if you're willing to waste a few thousand francs.

geojusto, Aug 8, 2017 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I agree with geojusto’s sentiments.

In any case, the chances are that unless you have a very fat wallet you will not find a flat in the space of a few days.  For long-term furnished accommodation, the wait is often a couple of months and for unfurnished housing around two years.

But don’t despair.  You’ll get there eventually.

R.

I agree with geojusto’s sentiments.

In any case, the chances are that unless you have a very fat wallet you will not find a flat in the space of a few days.  For long-term furnished accommodation, the wait is often a couple of months and for unfurnished housing around two years.

But don’t despair.  You’ll get there eventually.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 8, 2017 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Aug 8, 17 13:51

Totally agree! Relocation companies are not recommended, expensive and useless...

Totally agree! Relocation companies are not recommended, expensive and useless...

Jessica G, Aug 9, 2017 @ 22:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Regarding the “poursuites” document, this is not normally required if you can provide a copy of an valid employment contract with details of your salary and permit status.

Regarding the “poursuites” document, this is not normally required if you can provide a copy of an valid employment contract with details of your salary and permit status.

Ritchie, Aug 10, 2017 @ 03:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Aug 10, 17 03:44

Sorry, text should read “a valid” not “an valid”…

Sorry, text should read “a valid” not “an valid”…

Ritchie, Aug 10, 2017 @ 09:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I found my flat through a relocation company and had to pay a month's worth of rent for their finder's fee. I was the first person to see the flat, immediately wanted it, and had rented it rented a couple days later.

There are so many people looking for a flat, people who may not have a complete application (for example no "non poursuite" document) or a less stable situation (or even not sure when they will move here), it makes sense for a regie to advertise to relocation companies and have a few solid candidates from them, rather than having to sift through dozens and dozens of online applications.

I found my flat through a relocation company and had to pay a month's worth of rent for their finder's fee. I was the first person to see the flat, immediately wanted it, and had rented it rented a couple days later.

There are so many people looking for a flat, people who may not have a complete application (for example no "non poursuite" document) or a less stable situation (or even not sure when they will move here), it makes sense for a regie to advertise to relocation companies and have a few solid candidates from them, rather than having to sift through dozens and dozens of online applications.

Francois F, Aug 10, 2017 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Your fee pays the relocation agency to bribe the regie. That's how it works. It's not at all about how solid your application is.

Bribing the regie surely will get you ahead of the queue.

Your fee pays the relocation agency to bribe the regie. That's how it works. It's not at all about how solid your application is.

Bribing the regie surely will get you ahead of the queue.

geojusto, Aug 10, 2017 @ 15:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Dear All,

Thanks for all insight information! Do I understand correctly that in case I would use a relocation agency that will identify the apt, then I would need to pay both the agency and the regie? Or only the first one?

Thanks again!

Paola

Dear All,

Thanks for all insight information! Do I understand correctly that in case I would use a relocation agency that will identify the apt, then I would need to pay both the agency and the regie? Or only the first one?

Thanks again!

Paola

Paola B, Aug 10, 2017 @ 15:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

My point was that a regie has it so much easier asking for a relocation agency for 4 or 5 applicants with the required credentials and paperwork ready, rather than posting online and working through 100 or so applications in the next 24 hours. In Paoloa' example, not all the expected paperwork would be handy, so yes how "solid" your application is will be relevant.

I went to a relocation agency as I was tired of seeing the same few properties available online, and when a new good one became available, you often had to get there at an inconvenient time to visit it, and queue with all the other applicants to even get a chance to see it. With the agency, I gave them my paperwork and they applied to flats on my behalf. They suggested properties for me to visit that were not available online yet, including the one I live in now. They also picked me up from work during my lunch break and drove me to flats to visit, after they had picked up the keys at the regie.

I dont have the impression of having "bribed" anyone,  I paid a company to make my life easier.

My point was that a regie has it so much easier asking for a relocation agency for 4 or 5 applicants with the required credentials and paperwork ready, rather than posting online and working through 100 or so applications in the next 24 hours. In Paoloa' example, not all the expected paperwork would be handy, so yes how "solid" your application is will be relevant.

I went to a relocation agency as I was tired of seeing the same few properties available online, and when a new good one became available, you often had to get there at an inconvenient time to visit it, and queue with all the other applicants to even get a chance to see it. With the agency, I gave them my paperwork and they applied to flats on my behalf. They suggested properties for me to visit that were not available online yet, including the one I live in now. They also picked me up from work during my lunch break and drove me to flats to visit, after they had picked up the keys at the regie.

I dont have the impression of having "bribed" anyone,  I paid a company to make my life easier.

Francois F, Aug 10, 2017 @ 15:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi there, can I ask you how much did you pay to the relocation/chasseur agency? (1 month is it the usual "price"?). In how many time did they get you to visit/find your appartment, just to have and idea.

Kind regards!

Hi there, can I ask you how much did you pay to the relocation/chasseur agency? (1 month is it the usual "price"?). In how many time did they get you to visit/find your appartment, just to have and idea.

Kind regards!

David F, Jul 10, 2018 @ 18:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Dear David 
I would like to tell you my cousin will come on September
to visit me. she will stay longer on my appartment because she found a job 
In geneva . Good reserch for you . And all the best
GRESI

Dear David 
I would like to tell you my cousin will come on September
to visit me. she will stay longer on my appartment because she found a job 
In geneva . Good reserch for you . And all the best
GRESI

Gresi F, Jul 10, 2018 @ 18:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Kind regards!

Jul 10, 18 18:43

I paid one month rent to the relation agency - we used them because we have a baby and were too tired to sublet and move around. They will show you the apartments until you find the one you like.

In our case, they showed us around 10 places. It took us 2 weeks to finally find the one we like. 

However, in the beginning the agency will ask you to sign a contract and pay for service deposit. If you cancel the service, they will charge you.

Hope this helps.

I paid one month rent to the relation agency - we used them because we have a baby and were too tired to sublet and move around. They will show you the apartments until you find the one you like.

In our case, they showed us around 10 places. It took us 2 weeks to finally find the one we like. 

However, in the beginning the agency will ask you to sign a contract and pay for service deposit. If you cancel the service, they will charge you.

Hope this helps.

Punnipa M, Jul 17, 2018 @ 23:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 1981 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form