Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Resign from a job

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Resign from a job

I know there are many thread about it, but non actually proper specify this.
if I resign I will be penalized. that's clear, but are those months just postponed? in a way that I will start receiving my X number of unexployment after 2 months of penalization, or after 2 months I will start to receive it, and the remaining ammount will be X-2?

I'm asking because I'm unhappy of my carrer and I would like to try to change, but I wouldn't have enough time to sustain myself in Geneva if I will be payed only a month or 2 at the end of all.

The text you are quoting:

I know there are many thread about it, but non actually proper specify this.
if I resign I will be penalized. that's clear, but are those months just postponed? in a way that I will start receiving my X number of unexployment after 2 months of penalization, or after 2 months I will start to receive it, and the remaining ammount will be X-2?

I'm asking because I'm unhappy of my carrer and I would like to try to change, but I wouldn't have enough time to sustain myself in Geneva if I will be payed only a month or 2 at the end of all.

daniel fMar 20, 2018 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 1862 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Resign from a job
Post 1

I don't have the answer for what you ask but just to give you headsup, when you resign you need to immediately go and register yourself to chomage office, even if you still work during your departure period. You also have to prove that you are actively applying for job immediately from your resignation. If you register late and don't have proves you can be penalised too. Good luck

I don't have the answer for what you ask but just to give you headsup, when you resign you need to immediately go and register yourself to chomage office, even if you still work during your departure period. You also have to prove that you are actively applying for job immediately from your resignation. If you register late and don't have proves you can be penalised too. Good luck

alena o, Mar 20, 2018 @ 22:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Mar 20, 18 22:11

*proof 

*proof 

alena o, Mar 20, 2018 @ 22:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Ciao Alena,

yeah I know of that, but thanks for pointing it out :)

Ciao Alena,

yeah I know of that, but thanks for pointing it out :)

daniel f, Mar 20, 2018 @ 22:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Be careful when thinking of resigning from a job.

The chomage will always ask why you resigned without having a new one first.

If you are penalised, they will only pay you after after that penalty has lapsed. So  if you say register with Chomage on 1 April, and you are penalised 2 months, your chomage starts 1 April but you only start getting paid in June.

If you are penalised, they will only pay you after after that penalty has lapsed. So  if you say register with Chomage on 1 April, and you are penalised 2 months, your chomage starts 1 April but you only start getting paid in June.

Harry Thambi, Mar 26, 2018 @ 17:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Mar 26, 18 17:12

Hello,

Yes I know, and I understand chomage concern.
But when somebody is unhappy and depressed about his carrer, little time he has in 2 months to face the world, learn a skill for a new career and find a job. That's just reality, and I know it won't be understood.
Because unfortunately I will be forced to find an other job in the same depressing field, making lose time and money to chomage, the new company to hire me and train me, until i immediately stop to stand up from bed, with no willing to face an other day like that, until I resign again or get fired, because I'm unhappy of my carrer field.
But yeah I know of the penality and I guess I have to face it.

Hello,

But when somebody is unhappy and depressed about his carrer, little time he has in 2 months to face the world, learn a skill for a new career and find a job. That's just reality, and I know it won't be understood.
Because unfortunately I will be forced to find an other job in the same depressing field, making lose time and money to chomage, the new company to hire me and train me, until i immediately stop to stand up from bed, with no willing to face an other day like that, until I resign again or get fired, because I'm unhappy of my carrer field.

daniel f, Mar 27, 2018 @ 11:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Mar 26, 18 17:12

Dear Daniel.

Harry Thambi's reply "is spot on". 

Geneva has the highest chomage % in Switzerland - resiging from a job is certainly not done @ the current job situation. (unless you have sufficient funds )

You will be certainly questionned, and "an extra eye" will be keept on "your dossier".

I also hope that you have worked long enough in Switzerland, if not - forget aboout chomage.

Best.

Dear Daniel.

Geneva has the highest chomage % in Switzerland - resiging from a job is certainly not done @ the current job situation. (unless you have sufficient funds )

You will be certainly questionned, and "an extra eye" will be keept on "your dossier".

I also hope that you have worked long enough in Switzerland, if not - forget aboout chomage.

Best.

SWISS, Mar 27, 2018 @ 12:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Dear Daniel.

Best.

Mar 27, 18 12:26

Hello,

Thanks for your answer :)
Yeah I understand burocratical point of view of the chomage, explained also by Harry.
but I'm a human being first of all, and not an industrial robot. If they can't see it in a human eye, then I will just face the penality.
I won't stick to an  meantally and physically unhealthy job and life just because I am seen as a lazy/bad person if I don't.

Yeah I worked 3 years for NGO + 1 year in this current company.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer :)
Yeah I understand burocratical point of view of the chomage, explained also by Harry.
but I'm a human being first of all, and not an industrial robot. If they can't see it in a human eye, then I will just face the penality.
I won't stick to an  meantally and physically unhealthy job and life just because I am seen as a lazy/bad person if I don't.

Yeah I worked 3 years for NGO + 1 year in this current company.

daniel f, Mar 27, 2018 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Last but not least, make sure the NGO has paid all the social insurances which are obligatory in Switzerland.

Last but not least, make sure the NGO has paid all the social insurances which are obligatory in Switzerland.

SWISS, Mar 27, 2018 @ 15:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Mar 27, 18 15:44

I already know that intenrational organisation don't count, indeed I have my permit B since 13 months now.
So I have the at least 12 months of contribution :)

Cheers,

Daniel

I already know that intenrational organisation don't count, indeed I have my permit B since 13 months now.
So I have the at least 12 months of contribution :)

Cheers,

Daniel

daniel f, Mar 27, 2018 @ 15:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hello,

Mar 27, 18 11:25

Hi Daniel, I see your point. I work with people who are on chomage for divers reasons. It's true that your chomage advisor will be pushing you to look for a job in your current experience field but he/she won't be able to stop you from looking elsewhere. 

However, knowing Geneva job market situation you should have a new career (job) plan in your head already before quitting and be ready to make it work. That will keep you on track with your new search regardless what chomage will be pushing you to. Otherwise, while on chomage you might feel lost, preasured by chomage and running time, anxious, stressed by the whole situation, felt unconfortable while presenting yourself and an unemployed, etc.

Also if you have a clear and REALISTIC career change plan in your head you will have a chance to convince a chomage advisor into it.

If you are not yet totally depressed or burned-out you may think about a strategy of not yet quitting your job but executing it with a minimum engagement while preparing yourself towards the change and see what your management will do. If they decide to fire you, you will gain 2 months and no questionning from chomage.

Hi Daniel, I see your point. I work with people who are on chomage for divers reasons. It's true that your chomage advisor will be pushing you to look for a job in your current experience field but he/she won't be able to stop you from looking elsewhere. 

However, knowing Geneva job market situation you should have a new career (job) plan in your head already before quitting and be ready to make it work. That will keep you on track with your new search regardless what chomage will be pushing you to. Otherwise, while on chomage you might feel lost, preasured by chomage and running time, anxious, stressed by the whole situation, felt unconfortable while presenting yourself and an unemployed, etc.

Also if you have a clear and REALISTIC career change plan in your head you will have a chance to convince a chomage advisor into it.

If you are not yet totally depressed or burned-out you may think about a strategy of not yet quitting your job but executing it with a minimum engagement while preparing yourself towards the change and see what your management will do. If they decide to fire you, you will gain 2 months and no questionning from chomage.

anushka, Mar 27, 2018 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Mar 27, 18 20:44

Anushka, are you a certified coach for the chomage in Geneva?

I'm not convinced, my two cents. I hate to see when people get wrong information.

And yes, I do work in HR - so I do know what goes on in Geneva.

I'm not convinced, my two cents. I hate to see when people get wrong information.

SWISS, Mar 27, 2018 @ 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Mar 27, 18 21:31

No offence - another life coach - I rest my case.

No offence - another life coach - I rest my case.

SWISS, Mar 27, 2018 @ 21:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Mar 27, 18 21:31

Hi Swiss, I don't see your point. Which part of my answer do you exactly disagree with? Which information is wrong?

Yes, I'm a certified coach, no I don't work as a conseilleur in OCE (Office Cantonal d'Emploi). Once, I went through the chomage process myself. Past years I work with people who are unemployed and registered in OCE and looking for new jobs. And every year it is more complex (although of course possible) to have a career orientation change. And you need to know what you want and be determined. And one year of unemployment benefits to stand on your feet and change directions, it's not a lot. Unless of course, you have a good personnal/professional network and go with word-of-mouth hiring.

Hi Swiss, I don't see your point. Which part of my answer do you exactly disagree with? Which information is wrong?

Yes, I'm a certified coach, no I don't work as a conseilleur in OCE (Office Cantonal d'Emploi). Once, I went through the chomage process myself. Past years I work with people who are unemployed and registered in OCE and looking for new jobs. And every year it is more complex (although of course possible) to have a career orientation change. And you need to know what you want and be determined. And one year of unemployment benefits to stand on your feet and change directions, it's not a lot. Unless of course, you have a good personnal/professional network and go with word-of-mouth hiring.

anushka, Mar 27, 2018 @ 21:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 1862 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form