Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Riding the Public Transportation without Paying

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Riding the Public Transportation without Paying

TPG gets tougher on those who don’t pay

No place to run if you don't pay your ticket

Geneva, Switzerland (GenevaLunch) - The Transports Publics Genevois (TPG) say that it is getting serious about people who don’t pay for public transportation. The company has added eight new inspectors to the 54 it already has, is increasing the frequency of its ticket controls on board Geneva’s buses and trams, and the fines are going up.

The TPG say that three percent of the people the inspectors check do not have a valid ticket. That represents about CHF3.7 million in lost revenue for the company, which receives 50 percent, or CHF124m, of its revenues in the form of subsidies. The fines are set to increase 20 percent from CHF100 to CHF120. The TPG is testing the idea of having offenders do community work - cleaning the inside of the buses, washing windows - in lieu of the fine.

The text you are quoting:

TPG gets tougher on those who don’t pay

No place to run if you don't pay your ticket

Geneva, Switzerland (GenevaLunch) - The Transports Publics Genevois (TPG) say that it is getting serious about people who don’t pay for public transportation. The company has added eight new inspectors to the 54 it already has, is increasing the frequency of its ticket controls on board Geneva’s buses and trams, and the fines are going up.

The TPG say that three percent of the people the inspectors check do not have a valid ticket. That represents about CHF3.7 million in lost revenue for the company, which receives 50 percent, or CHF124m, of its revenues in the form of subsidies. The fines are set to increase 20 percent from CHF100 to CHF120. The TPG is testing the idea of having offenders do community work - cleaning the inside of the buses, washing windows - in lieu of the fine.

JustChillingSep 18, 2009 @ 13:36
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 5217 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Riding the Public Transportation without Paying
Post 1
 Im 10 months in Geneva and only got checked twice. I dont think 62 inspectors are enough
 Im 10 months in Geneva and only got checked twice. I dont think 62 inspectors are enough

Maria_, Sep 18, 2009 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Well, I dont usually  take public transport so I don't know much about the enforcement but even by your calculations getting checked twice in the last ten months means being fined 200-240 francs for those two infractions (if you were travelling without paying for it). 

I guess you have to calculate and take into account the risk for getting caught and also the long term impact of it specially since most of us are here on some sort of work permits.

I just thought it would be useful for some people since some of my friends in the past have mentioned that they often do not pay for the transportation and some of them have been caught very recently and had to pay 80-100 francs in fines.
 Well, I dont usually  take public transport so I don't know much about the enforcement but even by your calculations getting checked twice in the last ten months means being fined 200-240 francs for those two infractions (if you were travelling without paying for it). 

I guess you have to calculate and take into account the risk for getting caught and also the long term impact of it specially since most of us are here on some sort of work permits.

I just thought it would be useful for some people since some of my friends in the past have mentioned that they often do not pay for the transportation and some of them have been caught very recently and had to pay 80-100 francs in fines.
JustChilling, Sep 18, 2009 @ 14:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 It should neither be about the risk of getting caught nor about loss of revenue for the public transportation system. If one thinks it is their right to ride the public transportation in their city for free they should work towards changing the system so that public transportation is free. If one does not believe in that, then one needs to obey the rules and pay.
The question is that of Honesty. A society like here in Switzerland, functions on the basis of the fact that many passengers are buying the ticket in spite of knowing they will never get caught, e.g. I am traveling everyday to Cern from Cornavin, for the past 3 years. I have been checked once 2.5 years ago. I still buy my yearly pass and many who commute to CERN, I know, do buy their tickets not because they do not understand the probabilities and risks involved but because one must be honest to function in society. It is the same reason, you do not steal food at Manora (it is easy!) or pick the flowers at the gardens, or shoplift (that's easy too!). Honesty and civic sense are what make cities a functioning unit.
So instead of increasing the number of inspectors, which will eventually increase the fares, and increase the number of people unable or unwilling to pay for it, thereby creating a vicious cycle the city should appeal to its citizens and visitors to be honest. Geneva has a lovely public transportation system and it is not the responsibility of the government to keep it up but that of the people.
And that is why we should pay.
 It should neither be about the risk of getting caught nor about loss of revenue for the public transportation system. If one thinks it is their right to ride the public transportation in their city for free they should work towards changing the system so that public transportation is free. If one does not believe in that, then one needs to obey the rules and pay.
The question is that of Honesty. A society like here in Switzerland, functions on the basis of the fact that many passengers are buying the ticket in spite of knowing they will never get caught, e.g. I am traveling everyday to Cern from Cornavin, for the past 3 years. I have been checked once 2.5 years ago. I still buy my yearly pass and many who commute to CERN, I know, do buy their tickets not because they do not understand the probabilities and risks involved but because one must be honest to function in society. It is the same reason, you do not steal food at Manora (it is easy!) or pick the flowers at the gardens, or shoplift (that's easy too!). Honesty and civic sense are what make cities a functioning unit.
So instead of increasing the number of inspectors, which will eventually increase the fares, and increase the number of people unable or unwilling to pay for it, thereby creating a vicious cycle the city should appeal to its citizens and visitors to be honest. Geneva has a lovely public transportation system and it is not the responsibility of the government to keep it up but that of the people.
And that is why we should pay.

rpravahan, Sep 18, 2009 @ 15:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Sep 18, 09 14:07
 True. But paying 240 Francs is nothing compared to the 700 i already spend for monthly tickets. I never ever travel without a ticket. Imagine trying to explain to the inspector in my non existent French that i "forgot" :P

I prefer paying and be safe every time :)
 True. But paying 240 Francs is nothing compared to the 700 i already spend for monthly tickets. I never ever travel without a ticket. Imagine trying to explain to the inspector in my non existent French that i "forgot" :P

I prefer paying and be safe every time :)

Maria_, Sep 18, 2009 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I completely agree with the fact that you have to pay the ticket most of all to make "things" work. I just think Tpg should not complain much adding more inspectors. I think in most of the city in Europe they just dream of having 2% of people not paying! That is nothing!
I completely agree with the fact that you have to pay the ticket most of all to make "things" work. I just think Tpg should not complain much adding more inspectors. I think in most of the city in Europe they just dream of having 2% of people not paying! That is nothing!

bluthenthal, Sep 18, 2009 @ 18:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 5217 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form