Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > River float, anyone?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
River float, anyone?

I heard from a fellow glocaler that it's possible to float down the Rhone (inner tubes, rafts, coolers of beer ;) ) Anyone done this before that knows the ins and outs, such as where to get tubes, where to start and end, or maybe other locations where this can be done? Thanks in advance! 

If it's a thing people do, or want to do, I might create an event. Would be fun to go with a group on a lazy Sunday or something. If you're interested, pipe in and let me know!

The text you are quoting:

I heard from a fellow glocaler that it's possible to float down the Rhone (inner tubes, rafts, coolers of beer ;) ) Anyone done this before that knows the ins and outs, such as where to get tubes, where to start and end, or maybe other locations where this can be done? Thanks in advance! 

If it's a thing people do, or want to do, I might create an event. Would be fun to go with a group on a lazy Sunday or something. If you're interested, pipe in and let me know!

Emma BAug 5, 2013 @ 16:15
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 3716 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: River float, anyone?
Post 1

Hi Emma,

I was jumping off the bridge in quai du seujet yesterday, just before junction. I saw quite a lot of inflatable boats with music, food and drinks floating down the rhone.

I wonder where they finish their sailing trips and how they get back. It looked simple and a lot of fun!!! I want to do it at some point!

Hi Emma,

I was jumping off the bridge in quai du seujet yesterday, just before junction. I saw quite a lot of inflatable boats with music, food and drinks floating down the rhone.

I wonder where they finish their sailing trips and how they get back. It looked simple and a lot of fun!!! I want to do it at some point!

geojusto, Aug 5, 2013 @ 16:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

If you do it, remember that where the rivers join, the water get colder....

bertrand hubert r, Aug 5, 2013 @ 17:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Aug 5, 13 17:45

Ah yes, excellent point. I actually assumed the entire Rhone was pretty freezing, so where does the cold water confluence occur? 

Could always get one of these if there are no inner tube places to rent/buy from: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-04-19/a-giant-inflatable-mouse-floats-on-the-rhone-river/1656070 Wink

Ah yes, excellent point. I actually assumed the entire Rhone was pretty freezing, so where does the cold water confluence occur? 

Could always get one of these if there are no inner tube places to rent/buy from: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-04-19/a-giant-inflatable-mouse-floats-on-the-rhone-river/1656070 Wink

Emma B, Aug 5, 2013 @ 18:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I'd love to know where best to end the float too?

Start around quai du seujet but where's best to stop? Before the railway bridge or can you go on and just scramble up a bank near bois de la chappelle and walk back, or can you go further and get a bus back?

Am getting brother to send me drybag, water booties, cheap inflatable ring so I'll be fairly prepared.

I'd love to know where best to end the float too?

Start around quai du seujet but where's best to stop? Before the railway bridge or can you go on and just scramble up a bank near bois de la chappelle and walk back, or can you go further and get a bus back?

Am getting brother to send me drybag, water booties, cheap inflatable ring so I'll be fairly prepared.

Wilbur Narwhal, Aug 20, 2013 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Some friends and I were wondering the same thing, anyone have any info?

Some friends and I were wondering the same thing, anyone have any info?

Greg P, Jul 5, 2015 @ 21:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I am looking exactly for the same think. Also, does anybody know if and there we can rent inflatable boats?

I am looking exactly for the same think. Also, does anybody know if and there we can rent inflatable boats?

dina giakoumi, Jul 7, 2015 @ 15:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

You can go untill  Aire la ville and come back with the bus, or stop earlier, at vernier or Lignon. It's really easy and nice.. You can buy a boat at intermarché.

Just be carefull of the bridges's pillars. And with this hot weather I would go down around 19 h. Because before you will burn.

You can go untill  Aire la ville and come back with the bus, or stop earlier, at vernier or Lignon. It's really easy and nice.. You can buy a boat at intermarché.

Just be carefull of the bridges's pillars. And with this hot weather I would go down around 19 h. Because before you will burn.

Talk to me about jazz O, Jul 7, 2015 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

The Rhone is pretty warm until it meets the Arve. It almost hit 25 degrees today. Swimming (floating) from the bridge to Jonction is fantastic, then walk back up to your beer stash.

For longer rides, the tube may be a good idea.

Temperature : http://www.hydrodaten.admin.ch/en/2606.html

/Neil

The Rhone is pretty warm until it meets the Arve. It almost hit 25 degrees today. Swimming (floating) from the bridge to Jonction is fantastic, then walk back up to your beer stash.

For longer rides, the tube may be a good idea.

Temperature : http://www.hydrodaten.admin.ch/en/2606.html

/Neil

Neil D, Jul 7, 2015 @ 23:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

On a similar note,

Is it possible to drink IN the lake? (Swim out drinking a beer)

I was at Bain des Paquis this Sunday and didn't see anyone doing this, so abstained in fear that it was not allowed. 

On a similar note,

Is it possible to drink IN the lake? (Swim out drinking a beer)

I was at Bain des Paquis this Sunday and didn't see anyone doing this, so abstained in fear that it was not allowed. 

James F, Jul 8, 2015 @ 09:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hello, thanks a lot for the reply. Have you done this ride before? Do you know roughly how long it takes? I was thinking to start from Junction.

Best,

Dina

Hello, thanks a lot for the reply. Have you done this ride before? Do you know roughly how long it takes? I was thinking to start from Junction.

Best,

Dina

dina giakoumi, Jul 8, 2015 @ 11:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 3716 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form