Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Safe vs. Unsafe Neighborhoods

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Safe vs. Unsafe Neighborhoods

Would a kind soul do a run down of Geneva's neighborhoods, how safe they are late at night (after midnight/1am), where fun spots are (night life, clubs, etc)? Some that I've heard of -- and feel free to add more -- Eaux Vives, Paquis, Petit-Sarconnex, Carouge, Jonction, Plainpalais, Hopital, etc.

Also, what is the Eaux Vives neighborhood like? I'm thinking of renting a place there this summer...

The text you are quoting:

Would a kind soul do a run down of Geneva's neighborhoods, how safe they are late at night (after midnight/1am), where fun spots are (night life, clubs, etc)? Some that I've heard of -- and feel free to add more -- Eaux Vives, Paquis, Petit-Sarconnex, Carouge, Jonction, Plainpalais, Hopital, etc.

Also, what is the Eaux Vives neighborhood like? I'm thinking of renting a place there this summer...

Thomas HApr 25, 2010 @ 08:42
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 10460 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Safe vs. Unsafe Neighborhoods
Post 1

I love Plainpalais area, where I live, it's close to the center and there are many places to hang out, but it can be noisy sometimes. Carouge is more calm.

Paquis... I will not go there alone at the evening, especially if I dressed for the night out, don't feel safe. Even it's Switzerland :-)

Eaux-Vives is nice place to live, not so far like Petit-Saconnex)

Good luck with you flat hunting :-)

D

I love Plainpalais area, where I live, it's close to the center and there are many places to hang out, but it can be noisy sometimes. Carouge is more calm.

Paquis... I will not go there alone at the evening, especially if I dressed for the night out, don't feel safe. Even it's Switzerland :-)

Eaux-Vives is nice place to live, not so far like Petit-Saconnex)

Good luck with you flat hunting :-)

D

Onis, Apr 25, 2010 @ 22:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you for the comments. Any thoughts on Jonction, Hopital, Servette, Chene-Bourg/Chene-Bourgeries, Lancy (Petit v. Grand)?

Thank you for the comments. Any thoughts on Jonction, Hopital, Servette, Chene-Bourg/Chene-Bourgeries, Lancy (Petit v. Grand)?

Thomas H, Apr 26, 2010 @ 01:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hey Dude,

This is Switzerland and the whole place is safe, except for those damn foreigners and gangs from Lyon who steal cars. But they will find you anywhere, so just live wherever;  crap will happen but then again so will some great experiences.  I'd concentrate on the great stuff, if not you can always return to dynamic places where you came from, like Peoria, Atlanta, LasVegas . . .  if you know what I mean

Hey Dude,

This is Switzerland and the whole place is safe, except for those damn foreigners and gangs from Lyon who steal cars. But they will find you anywhere, so just live wherever;  crap will happen but then again so will some great experiences.  I'd concentrate on the great stuff, if not you can always return to dynamic places where you came from, like Peoria, Atlanta, LasVegas . . .  if you know what I mean

Poster, Apr 26, 2010 @ 05:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

come on Paquis is not like this! its the only part of the city where there is always people on the street, many bars, restaurants, stores etc, there are hookers and drug dealers, its true... but if you don't talk to them, they don't talk to you.. I like there a lot! 

I am sorry, people say Eaux Vives is great but besides the part close to the lake for me its not.. many many many pigeons everywhere (people feed them!!), its not that clean (people walk with dogs and dont clean).. its true its close to some nice green areas and its a calm aerea..

I lived in Plainpalais close to Jonction, Plainpalais is very nice, mix of all, there is parks, bars, restaurants, stores.. there is a calm part and a busy one.. same for jonction... if you get a place close to the river it can be great but if its close to bus stops can be terrible, there is also many drug dealers on this area.. but again.. they don't do much, just keep one eye open.

Don't know a lot about Servette, I think its a bit like Paquis, but more calm and with less options.. can't really say much.. never lived in Chene Bourg or Bourgeries but I love walking in that part of the city.. it looks nice

come on Paquis is not like this! its the only part of the city where there is always people on the street, many bars, restaurants, stores etc, there are hookers and drug dealers, its true... but if you don't talk to them, they don't talk to you.. I like there a lot! 

I am sorry, people say Eaux Vives is great but besides the part close to the lake for me its not.. many many many pigeons everywhere (people feed them!!), its not that clean (people walk with dogs and dont clean).. its true its close to some nice green areas and its a calm aerea..

I lived in Plainpalais close to Jonction, Plainpalais is very nice, mix of all, there is parks, bars, restaurants, stores.. there is a calm part and a busy one.. same for jonction... if you get a place close to the river it can be great but if its close to bus stops can be terrible, there is also many drug dealers on this area.. but again.. they don't do much, just keep one eye open.

Don't know a lot about Servette, I think its a bit like Paquis, but more calm and with less options.. can't really say much.. never lived in Chene Bourg or Bourgeries but I love walking in that part of the city.. it looks nice

Paula M, Apr 26, 2010 @ 11:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I love Geneva.  This is my second time back and I am not with my husband and daugther. I have found that the area around Lake Geneva are guys who prey on women.  For the last two days, I have seen the same guys around the areas I travel.  I stay around Lake Geneva and the shopping area where the trams go.  i will see one guy on the phone and then all of a sudden someone else is following me.  At first I thought I was getting paranoid being a woman so I decided to stop and watch.  When I stopped, he stopped.  When I started he started.  I acted like I didn't know what was going on.

When I was in front of a store holding my 'gifts to do list', this guy came buy me and looked at my list like he was going to steal it.

It has made these last few days uncomforable but my husband said to stay near people which I have.

Has anyone in Geneva experienced this.  I am not one to feel nervous and I have been away from my husband before.  This is different.

please let me know

I love Geneva.  This is my second time back and I am not with my husband and daugther. I have found that the area around Lake Geneva are guys who prey on women.  For the last two days, I have seen the same guys around the areas I travel.  I stay around Lake Geneva and the shopping area where the trams go.  i will see one guy on the phone and then all of a sudden someone else is following me.  At first I thought I was getting paranoid being a woman so I decided to stop and watch.  When I stopped, he stopped.  When I started he started.  I acted like I didn't know what was going on.

When I was in front of a store holding my 'gifts to do list', this guy came buy me and looked at my list like he was going to steal it.

It has made these last few days uncomforable but my husband said to stay near people which I have.

Has anyone in Geneva experienced this.  I am not one to feel nervous and I have been away from my husband before.  This is different.

please let me know

Denise L, Oct 28, 2010 @ 19:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hello there Mr Hayes :) Here we go again...

Hello there Mr Hayes :) Here we go again...

catalin, Oct 28, 2010 @ 20:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

How do you define Safe?  When I went into Geneva again this afternoon, I decided I wouldn't let it bother me.  I acted like a confident woman so I took an interational train ride around Geneva for 75 minutes.

As soon as I got off and back into the shopping area where the trams are I saw the group of guys again. Some were on the lake trying to con people into the find the ball under the metal container.  That doesn't bother me.

When I was in the shopping area.  I specifically went to an area where I wanted to shop. One of the guys followed me and when I stopped to just look into the windows, he stopped. Then went I went, he decided to take a turn around the corner but as soon as I came out, he was following me again.  It is the same guy as yesterday.  He just had a different shirt.   As he got closer, I stopped and backed up.  I felt like asking him 'why are you following me' but I don't speak French.   So I just left the shopping area.

When I was close to the big park in Geneva, where people place chess, I went into a COOP and another guy followed me up to the sheet and towel area.  Thought nothing of it.  However, he looked like he was following me so when I went down stairs to another floor and while I was looking around, he came down and looked around so I decided to go back to the top floor and look around.  Seconds later he was there also.  My comfort level said to leave.  What the heck do they want from me.  They are always on the telephone.  I think they are talking to their group as when one drops me another tails me.  They are really stupid as they must know I know they are following me.

I am leaving Geneva for home but must say that these guys should be monitored by the police.  I saw one guy go up to some young girls while they were walking with their babies.  Why don't the police do anything.

And it is not just at the Lake.  I saw them at the Grange and in Cologny when I was on tour.

I really wish I could have confronted them and asked them whey they were following me but didn't know if they could speak English.

Any thoughts?

How do you define Safe?  When I went into Geneva again this afternoon, I decided I wouldn't let it bother me.  I acted like a confident woman so I took an interational train ride around Geneva for 75 minutes.

As soon as I got off and back into the shopping area where the trams are I saw the group of guys again. Some were on the lake trying to con people into the find the ball under the metal container.  That doesn't bother me.

When I was in the shopping area.  I specifically went to an area where I wanted to shop. One of the guys followed me and when I stopped to just look into the windows, he stopped. Then went I went, he decided to take a turn around the corner but as soon as I came out, he was following me again.  It is the same guy as yesterday.  He just had a different shirt.   As he got closer, I stopped and backed up.  I felt like asking him 'why are you following me' but I don't speak French.   So I just left the shopping area.

When I was close to the big park in Geneva, where people place chess, I went into a COOP and another guy followed me up to the sheet and towel area.  Thought nothing of it.  However, he looked like he was following me so when I went down stairs to another floor and while I was looking around, he came down and looked around so I decided to go back to the top floor and look around.  Seconds later he was there also.  My comfort level said to leave.  What the heck do they want from me.  They are always on the telephone.  I think they are talking to their group as when one drops me another tails me.  They are really stupid as they must know I know they are following me.

I am leaving Geneva for home but must say that these guys should be monitored by the police.  I saw one guy go up to some young girls while they were walking with their babies.  Why don't the police do anything.

And it is not just at the Lake.  I saw them at the Grange and in Cologny when I was on tour.

I really wish I could have confronted them and asked them whey they were following me but didn't know if they could speak English.

Any thoughts?

Denise L, Oct 29, 2010 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 10460 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form