Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Second hand / thrift shops

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Second hand / thrift shops

In Toronto Canada, where I'm from these shops are a dime a dozen. But I've only seen 3 around Geneva area and I know there must be more that are hidden away!

I'm looking for clothes, not furniture - just clothing. Mens, women's, cheap or not so cheap , used.

Anyone willing to share their secret shopping spots?

The text you are quoting:

In Toronto Canada, where I'm from these shops are a dime a dozen. But I've only seen 3 around Geneva area and I know there must be more that are hidden away!

I'm looking for clothes, not furniture - just clothing. Mens, women's, cheap or not so cheap , used.

Anyone willing to share their secret shopping spots?

brittany johnsonNov 9, 2010 @ 16:12
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 7067 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Second hand / thrift shops
Post 1

Hi Brittany,

I've lived here for 3 years now and still haven't managed to find any nice 2nd hand shops! There are some charity shops that just sell clothes (there's one in Rue de Lyon I think), but the stuff they sell is usually horrible. Every now and then I've come across some nice things in the big Armé salut in Route de Chene, other times I haven't found a single thing there either. But in my experience that seems to be the best place for it.

Having said that, I did stumble upon a 2nd hand clothes store that's also a restaurant, somewhere in Eaux-Vives. It was terribly expensive though and had mostly designer stuff. I can't remember the name unfortuanately, but maybe someone else knows?

Hope you'll find what you're looking for (I've given up)! If not: Lyon isn't so far away... Wink

/Charlotta

Hi Brittany,

I've lived here for 3 years now and still haven't managed to find any nice 2nd hand shops! There are some charity shops that just sell clothes (there's one in Rue de Lyon I think), but the stuff they sell is usually horrible. Every now and then I've come across some nice things in the big Armé salut in Route de Chene, other times I haven't found a single thing there either. But in my experience that seems to be the best place for it.

Having said that, I did stumble upon a 2nd hand clothes store that's also a restaurant, somewhere in Eaux-Vives. It was terribly expensive though and had mostly designer stuff. I can't remember the name unfortuanately, but maybe someone else knows?

Hope you'll find what you're looking for (I've given up)! If not: Lyon isn't so far away... Wink

/Charlotta

charlotta, Nov 9, 2010 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

My favourite one is Hazard it is a consignment shop with great stuff.  I often take my clothes there and buy more with the money I earn from the sale

rue de Monthoux 34
1201 Genève
022 731 36 59

http://www.petitfute.com/guide/375186-suisse-geneve-hazard?nopopin=1

I also stumbled upon this map from 2008 on googlemaps listing a bunch:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103915496439287270150.0004585b42619f60f4286&t=h&z=11

My favourite one is Hazard it is a consignment shop with great stuff.  I often take my clothes there and buy more with the money I earn from the sale

rue de Monthoux 34
1201 Genève
022 731 36 59

http://www.petitfute.com/guide/375186-suisse-geneve-hazard?nopopin=1

I also stumbled upon this map from 2008 on googlemaps listing a bunch:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103915496439287270150.0004585b42619f60f4286&t=h&z=11

Melanienyc, Nov 9, 2010 @ 17:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I know of 4 consignment shops in Carouge alone . Can't remember the names  but have bought good quality clothes . 3 are on the tram line

You can also try Frou-Frou , I think it's in the same street as Lost & Found(objets trouvés)

I know of 4 consignment shops in Carouge alone . Can't remember the names  but have bought good quality clothes . 3 are on the tram line

You can also try Frou-Frou , I think it's in the same street as Lost & Found(objets trouvés)

jindalee, Nov 10, 2010 @ 21:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Try Boutique Wizo, rue Maunoir,  Eaux Vives....open  from  Tuesday through Thursday...

Try Boutique Wizo, rue Maunoir,  Eaux Vives....open  from  Tuesday through Thursday...

Translator, Nov 10, 2010 @ 21:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Apart from Wizo -- which has some good stuff but tends to be rather pricey except when the Sales are on -- there are a few more thirft shops in Eaux-Vives.  First,  a fashion boutique in rue de la Mairie (near the rue des Eaux-Vives end) plus a CSP shop that sells clothing, accessories, costume jewellery, etc.

Another fashion boutique is in rue des Eaux-Vives itself, close to the junction with rue 31 décembre and opposite 'Pouly' tearoom.  There's a cramped but bursting with stuff shop in rue Merle d'Aubigné (rue des Eaux-Vives end) and another boutique-type outlet in rue Montchoisy, close to the corner with rue des Vollandes and ooposite 'Desplanches' tearoom. In the centre of town, there's an upmarket boutique behind the 'Taverne' in rue e la Madeleine.

In fact, there are lots of outlets but they often look like regular shops.  You have to read the signs carefully.  That said, I would agree that the selection offered is rarely as wide or fashionable as the shops I knew in Montreal or have viited in the UK.  It could be that some local ladies take their couture  clothes to the 'costumiers' (hire agencies).

Anyway, all the best.  R.

Apart from Wizo -- which has some good stuff but tends to be rather pricey except when the Sales are on -- there are a few more thirft shops in Eaux-Vives.  First,  a fashion boutique in rue de la Mairie (near the rue des Eaux-Vives end) plus a CSP shop that sells clothing, accessories, costume jewellery, etc.

Another fashion boutique is in rue des Eaux-Vives itself, close to the junction with rue 31 décembre and opposite 'Pouly' tearoom.  There's a cramped but bursting with stuff shop in rue Merle d'Aubigné (rue des Eaux-Vives end) and another boutique-type outlet in rue Montchoisy, close to the corner with rue des Vollandes and ooposite 'Desplanches' tearoom. In the centre of town, there's an upmarket boutique behind the 'Taverne' in rue e la Madeleine.

In fact, there are lots of outlets but they often look like regular shops.  You have to read the signs carefully.  That said, I would agree that the selection offered is rarely as wide or fashionable as the shops I knew in Montreal or have viited in the UK.  It could be that some local ladies take their couture  clothes to the 'costumiers' (hire agencies).

Anyway, all the best.  R.

Ritchie, Nov 10, 2010 @ 23:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 7067 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form