Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Shopping help requested: I'd like a motorcycle

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Shopping help requested: I'd like a motorcycle

I've always wanted to ride motorcycles; the roads around here are perfect for it. Now I am finally getting around to it (midlife crisis? maybe...) I am applying for my Cat A license (I know this is not the best season...) but need a bike (250? 400? 650?) to practice on; I suppose a used bike would be prudent. I could use some help & guidance from a kind soul that can orient me & help me find the right bike. Any help much appreciated. Carolyn

The text you are quoting:

I've always wanted to ride motorcycles; the roads around here are perfect for it. Now I am finally getting around to it (midlife crisis? maybe...) I am applying for my Cat A license (I know this is not the best season...) but need a bike (250? 400? 650?) to practice on; I suppose a used bike would be prudent. I could use some help & guidance from a kind soul that can orient me & help me find the right bike. Any help much appreciated. Carolyn

Carolyn LOct 13, 2010 @ 17:14
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 1300 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Shopping help requested: I'd like a motorcycle
Post 1

Hello Carolyn, it's quite difficult to give you any advise without knowing what do you expect from your motorbike!

250 or 400 are  SM or cross ... maybe too high and aggressive.

usual starting bikes are 500-650 raodster like  er6 or er5 (kawasaki) XJ6 (yamaka) gladius or bandit (suzuki) monster (ducati)

but a good starting bike could be even a bonneville (triumph) more oriented to a relax driving...

In any case you have the answer, you need just some help to make it come out!

Hello Carolyn, it's quite difficult to give you any advise without knowing what do you expect from your motorbike!

250 or 400 are  SM or cross ... maybe too high and aggressive.

usual starting bikes are 500-650 raodster like  er6 or er5 (kawasaki) XJ6 (yamaka) gladius or bandit (suzuki) monster (ducati)

but a good starting bike could be even a bonneville (triumph) more oriented to a relax driving...

In any case you have the answer, you need just some help to make it come out!

ToniCO, Oct 13, 2010 @ 17:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello,

my 2.5 cents.

I would make a difference between the bike you need to take the license and the bike you really like (and would buy).

Indeed, for the license, you'll be asked to do some slow-speed maneuvers and for this, a bike on which you can keep a good balance is very important.  Turning radius is also a key factor.  For example, a race-bike is no good (although you can still do it).

So, for a beginner, I would recommend a dual-sport, like a BMW F650GS.  Please also keep in mind that in order to get the A license, your bike needs a minimum power (35kW if I'm not wrong), so all the 250 or 400 cc might not make it.

Toni's list is correct as a lot of riding-schools use these models for their student but unfortunately, I don't think that many schools here offer that sort of package (bike + class). But still the balance/turning radius on these is not as good as a dual-sport.  A dual-sport also has less power (but more torque) so you won't need to change gears all the time.  Maybe easier for an absolute beginner.

I would say that if you're in the 170cm range, you should go for a dual-sport.  I think it should be possible to rent some by the week, but this doesn't come out cheap, something like CHF 300.-/week.  Ideally, find someone with the right bike who will be willing to teach you the basics and lend his/her bike to you.

Hope this helps.

What bike do you like anyway?

Cheers,
P.

Hello,

my 2.5 cents.

I would make a difference between the bike you need to take the license and the bike you really like (and would buy).

Indeed, for the license, you'll be asked to do some slow-speed maneuvers and for this, a bike on which you can keep a good balance is very important.  Turning radius is also a key factor.  For example, a race-bike is no good (although you can still do it).

So, for a beginner, I would recommend a dual-sport, like a BMW F650GS.  Please also keep in mind that in order to get the A license, your bike needs a minimum power (35kW if I'm not wrong), so all the 250 or 400 cc might not make it.

Toni's list is correct as a lot of riding-schools use these models for their student but unfortunately, I don't think that many schools here offer that sort of package (bike + class). But still the balance/turning radius on these is not as good as a dual-sport.  A dual-sport also has less power (but more torque) so you won't need to change gears all the time.  Maybe easier for an absolute beginner.

I would say that if you're in the 170cm range, you should go for a dual-sport.  I think it should be possible to rent some by the week, but this doesn't come out cheap, something like CHF 300.-/week.  Ideally, find someone with the right bike who will be willing to teach you the basics and lend his/her bike to you.

Hope this helps.

What bike do you like anyway?

Cheers,
P.

Pikachu, Oct 13, 2010 @ 19:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

For a Cat A license you will need something bigger than a 500.  A good idea is to go around the cycle stores and talk to them, and sit on a few bikes.  It also depends on your height, if youre short some dual sport bikes are going to seem pretty tall.  On the other hand a Harley is short but some weigh a ton and most dont make tight turns so well which could be a pain for the test.  Then you have all winter to look for the bike you want, used or new.  Once you have your permit you have a year to take the test so you will have plenty of time to practice. 

For a Cat A license you will need something bigger than a 500.  A good idea is to go around the cycle stores and talk to them, and sit on a few bikes.  It also depends on your height, if youre short some dual sport bikes are going to seem pretty tall.  On the other hand a Harley is short but some weigh a ton and most dont make tight turns so well which could be a pain for the test.  Then you have all winter to look for the bike you want, used or new.  Once you have your permit you have a year to take the test so you will have plenty of time to practice. 

floydmarks, Oct 13, 2010 @ 21:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks, Pikachu. I did go to the BMW dealer yesterday to look at the F650; so far that looks like a good option and it fit me fine - I am 178 cm. You confirm what I am discovering - sadly it seems not possible to get lessons and a bike in one place, and the one instructor I spoke with yesterday was not very friendly nor encouraging; plus they are about ready to pack it in for the winter.

If anyone out there is in a position to give me lessons on your bike (an enormous leap of faith, I do realize) I am happy to pay for your expertise. Carolyn

Thanks, Pikachu. I did go to the BMW dealer yesterday to look at the F650; so far that looks like a good option and it fit me fine - I am 178 cm. You confirm what I am discovering - sadly it seems not possible to get lessons and a bike in one place, and the one instructor I spoke with yesterday was not very friendly nor encouraging; plus they are about ready to pack it in for the winter.

If anyone out there is in a position to give me lessons on your bike (an enormous leap of faith, I do realize) I am happy to pay for your expertise. Carolyn

Carolyn L, Oct 13, 2010 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

BMW f650 is perfect bike for licence, to learn and to enjoy the road later!!

BMW f650 is perfect bike for licence, to learn and to enjoy the road later!!

ToniCO, Oct 14, 2010 @ 09:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Oct 13, 10 17:14

Good girl!!

Lucky you! I have a CBF600 Hornet 2007, I have bought it in Swiss german part and an I had saved 2000CHF.

Check on

www.commerce-moto.ch and enjoy!

Good girl!!

Lucky you! I have a CBF600 Hornet 2007, I have bought it in Swiss german part and an I had saved 2000CHF.

Check on

www.commerce-moto.ch and enjoy!

Martyna S, Oct 14, 2010 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

As i've understood, you don't have any motorcycle license yet? I am not sure if you can apply for A license right away in Swiss... There are some restrictions to drive powerful bikes, as far as i am concerned. Investigate that first.

For the first bike, the lighter and easier to control - the better. Avoid sport and heavy motorcycles.

Don't forget to buy equipment!

Best of luck

As i've understood, you don't have any motorcycle license yet? I am not sure if you can apply for A license right away in Swiss... There are some restrictions to drive powerful bikes, as far as i am concerned. Investigate that first.

For the first bike, the lighter and easier to control - the better. Avoid sport and heavy motorcycles.

Best of luck

Sergey N, Oct 14, 2010 @ 11:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Oct 13, 10 21:46

Hi Carolyn,

PM me, I have a "spare" F650GS from 2002 (my first bike) available...might be your lucky day...

Cheers,
P.

Hi Carolyn,

PM me, I have a "spare" F650GS from 2002 (my first bike) available...might be your lucky day...

Cheers,
P.

Pikachu, Oct 14, 2010 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Best of luck

Oct 14, 10 11:13

Rules have changed a few years ago and if you're over 25, you can go straight to the A license...

But you're right...don't forget the proper equipment...

Cheers,
P.

Rules have changed a few years ago and if you're over 25, you can go straight to the A license...

But you're right...don't forget the proper equipment...

Cheers,
P.

Pikachu, Oct 14, 2010 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

If you already have a drivers lisence for a car, do you only need to do a practiacl exam or also theory(road rules) exam.

If a theory exam is required, is it possible to do this in another language then French? German or English for example. I life in Vaud in case that matters to where you have to do the exam.

If you already have a drivers lisence for a car, do you only need to do a practiacl exam or also theory(road rules) exam.

If a theory exam is required, is it possible to do this in another language then French? German or English for example. I life in Vaud in case that matters to where you have to do the exam.

ThomasNL, Oct 14, 2010 @ 11:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Oct 14, 10 11:39

Hi Thomas,

You shouldn't need to but as rules have changed so much the last years, you may want to double-check this.

If you reside in Vaud, you will have to take the exam there.  Here is the official website: http://www.san.vd.ch/

In Geneva, you can pass the theory exam in different languages, not sure for Vaud.

Cheers,
P. 

Hi Thomas,

You shouldn't need to but as rules have changed so much the last years, you may want to double-check this.

If you reside in Vaud, you will have to take the exam there.  Here is the official website: http://www.san.vd.ch/

In Geneva, you can pass the theory exam in different languages, not sure for Vaud.

Cheers,
P. 

Pikachu, Oct 14, 2010 @ 14:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 1300 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form