Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Subdividing a flat in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Subdividing a flat in Geneva

A friend of mine has an undeclared sublet on a one bedroom flat that is big enough to accommodate a small extra bedroom.  She is thinking of installing two tall Ikea bookcases across one end of a large room with two entrances.  Then she will fill the gaps (between bookcases and wall, ceiling, and each other) with insulation and plastic trim.  The bookcases will have one or two screws into the wall for stability but otherwise will not be affixed to the walls, ceiling, or floor.  The room will not have a window.

I assume this not exactly permitted.  But I also assume that flat subdivision is relatively common here.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

The text you are quoting:

A friend of mine has an undeclared sublet on a one bedroom flat that is big enough to accommodate a small extra bedroom.  She is thinking of installing two tall Ikea bookcases across one end of a large room with two entrances.  Then she will fill the gaps (between bookcases and wall, ceiling, and each other) with insulation and plastic trim.  The bookcases will have one or two screws into the wall for stability but otherwise will not be affixed to the walls, ceiling, or floor.  The room will not have a window.

I assume this not exactly permitted.  But I also assume that flat subdivision is relatively common here.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

williamcartMar 3, 2015 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 1247 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Subdividing a flat in Geneva
Post 1

You need advise on illegal activities?????

Well, I give you one. Tell your friend not to post an add on Glocals, in that case I'll do my best to inform her Regie!

You need advise on illegal activities?????

Well, I give you one. Tell your friend not to post an add on Glocals, in that case I'll do my best to inform her Regie!

Jack B, Mar 3, 2015 @ 16:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Personally I think that we live in Geneva Switzerland (good/high standard of living) so no one would accept to sleep in a makeshift room with no windows Surprised

Personally I think that we live in Geneva Switzerland (good/high standard of living) so no one would accept to sleep in a makeshift room with no windows Surprised

Oonagh, Mar 3, 2015 @ 17:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Would it be impertinent to ask if this friend actually has a permit to reside in CH?

Would it be impertinent to ask if this friend actually has a permit to reside in CH?

Ritchie, Mar 3, 2015 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Wow, threats of internet vigilantism and a racist dog whistle because someone wants a guest bedroom.  How sad

Wow, threats of internet vigilantism and a racist dog whistle because someone wants a guest bedroom.  How sad

williamcart, Mar 3, 2015 @ 22:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Mar 3, 15 17:08

I personally think we live in the real world, given scarce supply and high demand she would find plenty of takers, if the price is right.

I have no idea what kind of advice OP is looking for though.

I personally think we live in the real world, given scarce supply and high demand she would find plenty of takers, if the price is right.

I have no idea what kind of advice OP is looking for though.

Paul D, Mar 3, 2015 @ 22:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

A quick search on this and the other expat forums will tell you just how entertaining an "undeclared sub-let" can be for all concerned.

A quick search on this and the other expat forums will tell you just how entertaining an "undeclared sub-let" can be for all concerned.

Andy C, Mar 3, 2015 @ 22:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

My two cents,

williamcart, intresting post - you work for the UN - no wonder the UN has such a bad reputation in Switzerland.

You even asked this question? Why not your friend?

Guest bedroom?? 

This post will put once again a bad light on UN members, personally I would ask Nir to remove it.

Good luck to your friend, hope this friend has a permit to stay in Switzerland.

My two cents,

williamcart, intresting post - you work for the UN - no wonder the UN has such a bad reputation in Switzerland.

You even asked this question? Why not your friend?

Guest bedroom?? 

This post will put once again a bad light on UN members, personally I would ask Nir to remove it.

Good luck to your friend, hope this friend has a permit to stay in Switzerland.

SWISS, Mar 4, 2015 @ 02:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Mar 3, 15 22:05

And how sad that, after eight years in Geneva, you can still only assume that flat sub- division is relatively common.

And how sad that, after eight years in Geneva, you can still only assume that flat sub- division is relatively common.

Ritchie, Mar 4, 2015 @ 04:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Mar 3, 15 22:05

Racist - a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

I am not so sure i see the racist connection in this thread up to this point?

Racist - a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

I am not so sure i see the racist connection in this thread up to this point?

Oonagh, Mar 4, 2015 @ 08:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

When I was a student, I once rented a room in an apartment in Eaux vives where it was like this. It was basically a really big studio and the buy divided it to two rooms. One of us took the living room aka room one and the other took the small windowless thing. I got the small windowless thing and I hated it. He had put a tiny window which I had to close most of the time coz my neighbour and her boyfriend smoked too much. Anyway I guess what Im saying is people do it though I wonder what the regie would say since when moving even a stained wall causes issues.

When I was a student, I once rented a room in an apartment in Eaux vives where it was like this. It was basically a really big studio and the buy divided it to two rooms. One of us took the living room aka room one and the other took the small windowless thing. I got the small windowless thing and I hated it. He had put a tiny window which I had to close most of the time coz my neighbour and her boyfriend smoked too much. Anyway I guess what Im saying is people do it though I wonder what the regie would say since when moving even a stained wall causes issues.

Marcy S, Mar 16, 2015 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

As I know if the regie find an illegal rent then both person who rented it and person who live in it will lose this appartment.

As I know if the regie find an illegal rent then both person who rented it and person who live in it will lose this appartment.

Liubov D, Mar 16, 2015 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Where will the sweatshop be located?

Where will the sweatshop be located?

bearded09, Mar 20, 2015 @ 20:54