Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Swissinfo: Extensive federal maps system goes online

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swissinfo: Extensive federal maps system goes online
Aug 19, 2010 - 14:42  

Extensive federal maps system goes online
The Swiss authorities are providing the public free access to their online geographical information system (GIS).

The government announced on Thursday that from now on, very detailed maps – everything from topographical to those providing environmental, housing and even historical information – are available to the public.

“Are the glaciers really retreating? How big was my home village 100 years ago? Where does the water for power generation come from?” the Federal Topography Office wrote in a statement. These questions and many more can now be answered by using the government’s GIS.

The website is divided into several categories, offering large-scale maps with specific data broken down into the following categories: geodata and reference systems, development planning and population, environment, biology and geology, surface representation, infrastructure and communications, and energy and economy.

Free public access to the GIS was made possible with new laws that oblige public institutions to make this type of data available.

www.swissinfo.ch

The text you are quoting:
Aug 19, 2010 - 14:42  

Extensive federal maps system goes online
The Swiss authorities are providing the public free access to their online geographical information system (GIS).

The government announced on Thursday that from now on, very detailed maps – everything from topographical to those providing environmental, housing and even historical information – are available to the public.

“Are the glaciers really retreating? How big was my home village 100 years ago? Where does the water for power generation come from?” the Federal Topography Office wrote in a statement. These questions and many more can now be answered by using the government’s GIS.

The website is divided into several categories, offering large-scale maps with specific data broken down into the following categories: geodata and reference systems, development planning and population, environment, biology and geology, surface representation, infrastructure and communications, and energy and economy.

Free public access to the GIS was made possible with new laws that oblige public institutions to make this type of data available.

www.swissinfo.ch

TranslatorAug 19, 2010 @ 23:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 927 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swissinfo: Extensive federal maps system goes online
Post 1

Thanks for the info. Do you know the web site? I did not find it...

Cheers, François

Thanks for the info. Do you know the web site? I did not find it...

Cheers, François

Free, Aug 20, 2010 @ 00:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Nope, just saw the article and thought it was interesting...Laughing

Nope, just saw the article and thought it was interesting...Laughing

Translator, Aug 20, 2010 @ 00:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Ok, try here....

swisstopo, the Federal Geo-Information center

www.geo.admin.ch: The Federal geoportal is now online

This information has recently been made available at www.geo.admin.ch External  website. Content opens in new window , the Federal geoportal.

Data from the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (FSO), the Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN) and swisstopo provide an important basis.

The Federal geoportal External  website. Content opens in new window

Ok, try here....

swisstopo, the Federal Geo-Information center

www.geo.admin.ch: The Federal geoportal is now online

This information has recently been made available at www.geo.admin.ch External  website. Content opens in new window , the Federal geoportal.

Data from the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (FSO), the Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN) and swisstopo provide an important basis.

The Federal geoportal External  website. Content opens in new window

Translator, Aug 20, 2010 @ 00:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Quick and efficient Laughing Thanks.

Quick and efficient Laughing Thanks.

Free, Aug 20, 2010 @ 00:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

This is absolutely brilliant.  Just had a quick scan through and see that it goes over the border so the whole of the Mt Blanc massif is included.   For me planning walks where often there are no marked trails it is great to be able to zoom down to 1:10000  to study possible ways over ridges and unusual ways off mountain summits.  Feel a bit of a dumbo that i did not see this earlier as I am supposedly president of the Geneva saection of the Swiss Alpine Club.  Do you mind if I post this info on the mountaineering section of glocals 

This is absolutely brilliant.  Just had a quick scan through and see that it goes over the border so the whole of the Mt Blanc massif is included.   For me planning walks where often there are no marked trails it is great to be able to zoom down to 1:10000  to study possible ways over ridges and unusual ways off mountain summits.  Feel a bit of a dumbo that i did not see this earlier as I am supposedly president of the Geneva saection of the Swiss Alpine Club.  Do you mind if I post this info on the mountaineering section of glocals 

Paul E, Aug 20, 2010 @ 10:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Yes, I thought it was pretty cool.  Swissinfo has lots of great news in all the major languages, I believe.  I guess that's for Nir and Oded to say whether you can post itLaughing..

Yes, I thought it was pretty cool.  Swissinfo has lots of great news in all the major languages, I believe.  I guess that's for Nir and Oded to say whether you can post itLaughing..

Translator, Aug 20, 2010 @ 11:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Don't think so I am only moving it to a different section of glocals and will mention that you brought this public information to my attention, rather than pretending I found it. In fact i will will just direct them to this forum.  You might get more thanks that way

Don't think so I am only moving it to a different section of glocals and will mention that you brought this public information to my attention, rather than pretending I found it. In fact i will will just direct them to this forum.  You might get more thanks that way

Paul E, Aug 20, 2010 @ 11:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

This is what I posted on Geneva mountain hiking group.  There are 172 members so you ought to get 171 thank you's.Large scale maps of Switzerland Glocals member 'Translator' has just posted information regarding viewing (and I think downloading) of maps of Switzerland. You can zoom in to a scale of 1:1000 but for planning walks which involve crossing ridges with no paths 1:10000 is extremely useful. All the information is on 1:25000, larger scale than that simply magnifies but it is really helpful. Also it goes over the border so the whole of the Mont Blanc massif is included. Go to forum "Re: Swissinfo: Extensive federal maps system goes online" and thank her for this useful post

This is what I posted on Geneva mountain hiking group.  There are 172 members so you ought to get 171 thank you's.Large scale maps of Switzerland Glocals member 'Translator' has just posted information regarding viewing (and I think downloading) of maps of Switzerland. You can zoom in to a scale of 1:1000 but for planning walks which involve crossing ridges with no paths 1:10000 is extremely useful. All the information is on 1:25000, larger scale than that simply magnifies but it is really helpful. Also it goes over the border so the whole of the Mont Blanc massif is included. Go to forum "Re: Swissinfo: Extensive federal maps system goes online" and thank her for this useful post

Paul E, Aug 20, 2010 @ 13:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Ah, yours and Free's are sufficient...Wink

Ah, yours and Free's are sufficient...Wink

Translator, Aug 20, 2010 @ 14:32