Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Tax free shopping across the border

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Tax free shopping across the border

Hi everyone,

I haven't really found a thread/guide talking about how to go about getting VAT refunds from shopping in France. 

Personally I tried to do it once (and failed to get a refund) and have the impression that the obstacles are quite large (shops not being helpful at time of sale, no customs people at the border, shops not processing refunds..)

Does anyone have any tips and tricks related to the process or which shops participate?

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

I haven't really found a thread/guide talking about how to go about getting VAT refunds from shopping in France. 

Personally I tried to do it once (and failed to get a refund) and have the impression that the obstacles are quite large (shops not being helpful at time of sale, no customs people at the border, shops not processing refunds..)

Does anyone have any tips and tricks related to the process or which shops participate?

Ondrej HApr 14, 2015 @ 11:59
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 2727 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Tax free shopping across the border
Post 1

Have you tried using Global Blue? 

http://www.globalblue.com/customer-services/tax-free-shopping/

Have you tried using Global Blue? 

http://www.globalblue.com/customer-services/tax-free-shopping/

Sally C, Apr 14, 2015 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Global Blue is great, but the shop has to participate in the scheme don't they?

Global Blue is great, but the shop has to participate in the scheme don't they?

Ondrej H, Apr 14, 2015 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Yea that's right, but worth signing up in case you end up shopping in one, as there are loads and the process is far easier. 

Yea that's right, but worth signing up in case you end up shopping in one, as there are loads and the process is far easier. 

Sally C, Apr 14, 2015 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Global Blue is very expensive, is better to go in stores that make them directly the taxe refund without Global blue.

There is nothing to do complicate the tax refund ....

If you use Global Blue you lose 5/6% of the refund !

Global Blue is very expensive, is better to go in stores that make them directly the taxe refund without Global blue.

There is nothing to do complicate the tax refund ....

If you use Global Blue you lose 5/6% of the refund !

Miguel P, Apr 14, 2015 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I am  sure someone can add to my reply to make it more precise and I haven't detaxed from the border area for sometime now but here's what I did. (If you know the following already it might be useful for others..).
At the shop fill in the tax fee form they should probably have. If they say they don't have one, probably ring the Swiss customs to as how to proceed  or go to/ring the closest French Marie. This has not happened to me.
 I think the minimum to spend is 300CHF? before they charge duty in CH..at least it was then. 
Then you go to a French border post and have them stamp the  form, then you go to the Swiss customs. They take off the 20% VAT and them stamp it too and either charge VAT… for here 8% now?.. or refund you and that's it.   Many of the borders here are open sporadically as there are also Customs officers circulating in cars who move around all the  offices there. This applies to the French customs also. These 'Gardes-Frontieres'  on both sides have the right to travel a certain amount of kms within the other country and perform spot checks.  It is impossible to know when and where they are or  going or will arrive, and for how long. There maybe  some posts open open longer than others. 
You can however be sure that Bardonnex is open 24/24h & 7/ 7. The custom offices there have also the advantage of being close to each other .
Hope this is of help.
Any other expriences out there.. to add something I've forgotten..?
--
I am  sure someone can add to my reply to make it more precise and I haven't detaxed from the border area for sometime now but here's what I did. (If you know the following already it might be useful for others..).
At the shop fill in the tax fee form they should probably have. If they say they don't have one, probably ring the Swiss customs to as how to proceed  or go to/ring the closest French Marie. This has not happened to me.
 I think the minimum to spend is 300CHF? before they charge duty in CH..at least it was then. 
Then you go to a French border post and have them stamp the  form, then you go to the Swiss customs. They take off the 20% VAT and them stamp it too and either charge VAT… for here 8% now?.. or refund you and that's it.   Many of the borders here are open sporadically as there are also Customs officers circulating in cars who move around all the  offices there. This applies to the French customs also. These 'Gardes-Frontieres'  on both sides have the right to travel a certain amount of kms within the other country and perform spot checks.  It is impossible to know when and where they are or  going or will arrive, and for how long. There maybe  some posts open open longer than others. 
You can however be sure that Bardonnex is open 24/24h & 7/ 7. The custom offices there have also the advantage of being close to each other .
Hope this is of help.
Any other expriences out there.. to add something I've forgotten..?
--
TogJay, Apr 14, 2015 @ 16:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

..sorry above all witten in a block, the line spacing for some reson doesn't seem to work as before..

..sorry above all witten in a block, the line spacing for some reson doesn't seem to work as before..

TogJay, Apr 14, 2015 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

..written..!

..written..!

TogJay, Apr 14, 2015 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

That's right, most of the time, businesses agrees to the tax refund arround  150-200 Euros.

Then you must go to the French Customs for tax-free (as a general rule 19.6%, but there are different levels Ex. Books, Other ) after you need to pay the VAT fo Swiss customs, usually 8%

To understand how interesting when you buy a  furniture in France arround the Price of 500 Euros for the French VAT is almost 100 Euros, while the Swiss VAT is only 32.

So you can earn about 70 CHF.
In addition if your purchase  less of 300 CHF, the Swiss customs do not get pay fees .....

That's right, most of the time, businesses agrees to the tax refund arround  150-200 Euros.

Then you must go to the French Customs for tax-free (as a general rule 19.6%, but there are different levels Ex. Books, Other ) after you need to pay the VAT fo Swiss customs, usually 8%

To understand how interesting when you buy a  furniture in France arround the Price of 500 Euros for the French VAT is almost 100 Euros, while the Swiss VAT is only 32.

So you can earn about 70 CHF.
In addition if your purchase  less of 300 CHF, the Swiss customs do not get pay fees .....

Miguel P, Apr 14, 2015 @ 17:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Yes, I  remember at one time I bought some good walking shoes and they were under the equivalent of 300fr.

I got back 50fr on those with no extra customs fee, as Miguel says

Yes, I  remember at one time I bought some good walking shoes and they were under the equivalent of 300fr.

I got back 50fr on those with no extra customs fee, as Miguel says

TogJay, Apr 14, 2015 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Oh.. also.. if you don't go to Bardonnex, and the French side is open and the Swiss not, after the  tax free form is stamped by the French, you have a certain amount of time allowed to find  a Swiss one open and have it stamped by the Swiss.

I don't remember how long now, as never did that. More customs posts were open on both sides at that time. 

Can you tell us Miguel?

I was told that by a friend at the time that the Swiss customs do have a letterbox outside where you can inform them of the purchase, by posting the stamped tax free form in it.They will then get in touch with you. 

So if this is the way you will proceed it's important to put your name, address, tel. number in an envelope with the form, or certainly at the least attach these securely in some way to the form

Oh.. also.. if you don't go to Bardonnex, and the French side is open and the Swiss not, after the  tax free form is stamped by the French, you have a certain amount of time allowed to find  a Swiss one open and have it stamped by the Swiss.

I don't remember how long now, as never did that. More customs posts were open on both sides at that time. 

Can you tell us Miguel?

I was told that by a friend at the time that the Swiss customs do have a letterbox outside where you can inform them of the purchase, by posting the stamped tax free form in it.They will then get in touch with you. 

So if this is the way you will proceed it's important to put your name, address, tel. number in an envelope with the form, or certainly at the least attach these securely in some way to the form

TogJay, Apr 14, 2015 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

For Bardonnex, Customs is open 24/24
For other smaller customs, yes it's true there was a box, but you must let the form with your coordinates and paid amount when you receive by mail the payment. The disadvantage with this system that some trade French want to see that you pay tax in Swiss, so you can not receive the French VAT as long as you did not pay the Swiss tax.

In Bardonnex you can do it all in one go. Customs form Annemasse can also do this during the usual hours

For Bardonnex, Customs is open 24/24
For other smaller customs, yes it's true there was a box, but you must let the form with your coordinates and paid amount when you receive by mail the payment. The disadvantage with this system that some trade French want to see that you pay tax in Swiss, so you can not receive the French VAT as long as you did not pay the Swiss tax.

In Bardonnex you can do it all in one go. Customs form Annemasse can also do this during the usual hours

Miguel P, Apr 15, 2015 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi,

I know it's old thread but I am trying to get an answer, hope somebody can help. We bought some stuff from Evian and came back on ferry boat.  It was very late and nobody was on Frenc or Swiss side. I have the recipt and Tax free paper filled out by the store employee. In the boarder they have said to take the forms, fll out and leave it in Gare or Ouchy. But we never had any stamp. So can I just feel out this form and send it or I need to get a stamp from some boarder? This was around 3 weeks ago.

Anna

Hi,

I know it's old thread but I am trying to get an answer, hope somebody can help. We bought some stuff from Evian and came back on ferry boat.  It was very late and nobody was on Frenc or Swiss side. I have the recipt and Tax free paper filled out by the store employee. In the boarder they have said to take the forms, fll out and leave it in Gare or Ouchy. But we never had any stamp. So can I just feel out this form and send it or I need to get a stamp from some boarder? This was around 3 weeks ago.

Anna

Anna G, Feb 14, 2016 @ 23:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Anna,

It's not done, you can cross again the border, really easy... Choice one is all the time open like ; Bardonnex.

you will need the form of the store and also things that you buy ... I think you have a several months to a tax refund.

Anna,

It's not done, you can cross again the border, really easy... Choice one is all the time open like ; Bardonnex.

you will need the form of the store and also things that you buy ... I think you have a several months to a tax refund.

Miguel P, Feb 14, 2016 @ 23:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 2727 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form