Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Tranferring car registration between domestic partners - insurance

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Tranferring car registration between domestic partners - insurance

Hi, all.

My partner (we have a domestic partnership registered in our home country) is a UN employee and we have lived in Geneva for the past 4 years. We have CdLs as our permits, and I am identified on mine as the 'concubin' of my hardworking partner.

We have a car registered in her name that we wish to transfer to registration under my name (we have different family names). We also wish to keep the same plates on the vehicle.

I am clear on the procedure for registering a vehicle and we have the form for transferring the plates. My question is about the process for advising the current insurance company about this transfer. My partner has a policy that I regard as exorbitant, and also the company insists that my partner cannot transfer the existing insurance policy to me as we do not have a marriage certificate. So I plan to take out insurance with another company. 

What do we need to send to my partner's insurance company to terminate her policy following transfer of the registration? The company concerned is being very vague about the process, and simply suggests that I might like to take out a new policy with them.

Is a simple email to the company enough? Do we need an attestation from the cantonal authorities?

Any other thoughts on this matter in general?

Thanks in advance.

The text you are quoting:

Hi, all.

My partner (we have a domestic partnership registered in our home country) is a UN employee and we have lived in Geneva for the past 4 years. We have CdLs as our permits, and I am identified on mine as the 'concubin' of my hardworking partner.

We have a car registered in her name that we wish to transfer to registration under my name (we have different family names). We also wish to keep the same plates on the vehicle.

I am clear on the procedure for registering a vehicle and we have the form for transferring the plates. My question is about the process for advising the current insurance company about this transfer. My partner has a policy that I regard as exorbitant, and also the company insists that my partner cannot transfer the existing insurance policy to me as we do not have a marriage certificate. So I plan to take out insurance with another company. 

What do we need to send to my partner's insurance company to terminate her policy following transfer of the registration? The company concerned is being very vague about the process, and simply suggests that I might like to take out a new policy with them.

Is a simple email to the company enough? Do we need an attestation from the cantonal authorities?

Any other thoughts on this matter in general?

Thanks in advance.

Martin FApr 9, 2018 @ 09:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 945 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Tranferring car registration between domestic partners - insurance
Post 1

I doubt that you will be able to keep the same plates for a new registrant.  Plates in Switzerland are not really attached to the vehicle but rather to the registrant.

To terminate insurance, I'm pretty sure that the registration must be cancelled and the plates returned.

Hope this helps a little

I doubt that you will be able to keep the same plates for a new registrant.  Plates in Switzerland are not really attached to the vehicle but rather to the registrant.

To terminate insurance, I'm pretty sure that the registration must be cancelled and the plates returned.

Hope this helps a little

nmcp, Apr 9, 2018 @ 10:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, the transfer of the plates is possible between family members, and in some business contexts:

https://www.ge.ch/document/conducteur-vehicules-formulaire-cession-exceptionnelle-plaques

And one of the insurers from whom I have sought a quote has included, helpfully, a draft letter of resiliation to send to the existing insurer, with most of the details already entered! I am tempted to go with that company for that reason alone.

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, the transfer of the plates is possible between family members, and in some business contexts:

https://www.ge.ch/document/conducteur-vehicules-formulaire-cession-exceptionnelle-plaques

And one of the insurers from whom I have sought a quote has included, helpfully, a draft letter of resiliation to send to the existing insurer, with most of the details already entered! I am tempted to go with that company for that reason alone.

Martin F, Apr 9, 2018 @ 12:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

That's interesting.  About 10 years ago I tried to transfer to my wife and they wouldn't let me.  It looks as if things have changed for the better :)

That's interesting.  About 10 years ago I tried to transfer to my wife and they wouldn't let me.  It looks as if things have changed for the better :)

nmcp, Apr 9, 2018 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Well, it turns out that 'conjoint' (the word used on the form at the link above) does not -- in Geneva at least -- cover the same range of relationships that it does elsewhere in the world. As we are not married, with a ring and a certificate, we could not transfer the plates. Very annoyng, as we have to go through all the hoops and the expense of gathering documents to apply for a new parking macaron. I'm tempted to simply re-transfer the car registration back to my partner and to keep the old plates. It would be cheaper and less time-consuming than getting a new macaron.

Well, it turns out that 'conjoint' (the word used on the form at the link above) does not -- in Geneva at least -- cover the same range of relationships that it does elsewhere in the world. As we are not married, with a ring and a certificate, we could not transfer the plates. Very annoyng, as we have to go through all the hoops and the expense of gathering documents to apply for a new parking macaron. I'm tempted to simply re-transfer the car registration back to my partner and to keep the old plates. It would be cheaper and less time-consuming than getting a new macaron.

Martin F, Apr 14, 2018 @ 22:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 945 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form