Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > WRS: Geneva's Police Chief Says Most Crimes Committed by Non-Residents

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
WRS: Geneva's Police Chief Says Most Crimes Committed by Non-Residents

http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/switzerland/genevas-police-chief-says-most-crimes-committed-by.shtml?26150

"From muggings in the middle of the night to burglar alarm scams— the public’s perception is that crime in Geneva is out of control. Many people have related their stories to WRS and other Swiss media as well social networking sites like Glocals. Authorities say they will put more police officers on the streets beginning next month. Officials are speeding up reorganization plans to create a special unit of several hundred officers that can be deployed in high-crime areas—at times when they’re most needed, such as on Saturday nights. After a week of repeated requests by WRS, Isabel Rochat, the minister in charge of Geneva’s police granted an interview to WRS’s Jordan Davis:"

The text you are quoting:

http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/switzerland/genevas-police-chief-says-most-crimes-committed-by.shtml?26150

"From muggings in the middle of the night to burglar alarm scams— the public’s perception is that crime in Geneva is out of control. Many people have related their stories to WRS and other Swiss media as well social networking sites like Glocals. Authorities say they will put more police officers on the streets beginning next month. Officials are speeding up reorganization plans to create a special unit of several hundred officers that can be deployed in high-crime areas—at times when they’re most needed, such as on Saturday nights. After a week of repeated requests by WRS, Isabel Rochat, the minister in charge of Geneva’s police granted an interview to WRS’s Jordan Davis:"

TranslatorAug 25, 2011 @ 17:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 2413 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: WRS: Geneva's Police Chief Says Most Crimes Committed by Non-Residents
Post 1

I think Rochat was very clear that the crimes were committed by non-residents---MEANING those that come from the French border, and NOT Swiss resident immigrants.  So the racist right-wing political parties like the UDC should stop distorting the picture by blaming the foreigners living in Switzerland for the high crime rate.  

I think Rochat was very clear that the crimes were committed by non-residents---MEANING those that come from the French border, and NOT Swiss resident immigrants.  So the racist right-wing political parties like the UDC should stop distorting the picture by blaming the foreigners living in Switzerland for the high crime rate.  

joseph s, Aug 27, 2011 @ 10:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

True, I had 3 bad experience since coming to Geneva. The first time was that my bad got taken away by a thief from Turkey inside the Geneva Hostel Registration Room. The policeman said they knew this guy, but did not know where he lived so could not catch him.

The second time my bag got stolen from my car near the train station. It was a team work. They used my new mobile phone to call several countries, including one Geneva local mobile phone number. I took the phone call list to the police office, the police officer told me they would not call the local mobile number "unless it was murder". 

The third time was just last Friday. These thieves broke into my apt. through an access door only the manager should have the key. Then they broke my terrace door.....

All these three times I suffered heavy losses as the thieves know that Asians tend to carry/keep cash and have jewery......When I called the local police office, it was closed.....

True, I had 3 bad experience since coming to Geneva. The first time was that my bad got taken away by a thief from Turkey inside the Geneva Hostel Registration Room. The policeman said they knew this guy, but did not know where he lived so could not catch him.

The second time my bag got stolen from my car near the train station. It was a team work. They used my new mobile phone to call several countries, including one Geneva local mobile phone number. I took the phone call list to the police office, the police officer told me they would not call the local mobile number "unless it was murder". 

The third time was just last Friday. These thieves broke into my apt. through an access door only the manager should have the key. Then they broke my terrace door.....

All these three times I suffered heavy losses as the thieves know that Asians tend to carry/keep cash and have jewery......When I called the local police office, it was closed.....

Jen C, Mar 30, 2015 @ 18:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

...tend to carry/keep cash and have jewery...

Israel's fault... as usual...

...tend to carry/keep cash and have jewery...

Israel's fault... as usual...

Casuistik, Mar 31, 2015 @ 01:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Just watched a DVD "Beijing Blues", based on a true story of a policeman in civilian clothes, together with his colleagues, committed to fighting theft cases on the streets in Haidian District. Wondering is there are any police in civilian clothes fighting street crimes, or just police driving in cars?

Just watched a DVD "Beijing Blues", based on a true story of a policeman in civilian clothes, together with his colleagues, committed to fighting theft cases on the streets in Haidian District. Wondering is there are any police in civilian clothes fighting street crimes, or just police driving in cars?

Jen C, Mar 31, 2015 @ 17:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Good question. Sometimes you can see Police Municipale in streets and I believe there is police in civilian cars

Good question. Sometimes you can see Police Municipale in streets and I believe there is police in civilian cars

Kris R, Apr 1, 2015 @ 08:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I have never seen and experienced theft cases as many as in Geneva. Since these thieves are not locals, the police cannot catch them. I was told by the policeman after reporting my first case that they know the thief, but do not know where he lives! That is why I think there should be more civilian clothesed police. As a high school student smartly commented: In the Netherland, you never see police when you need them, in Geneva, the police are always there when you do not need them! That is my impression of those Geneva police driving in police cars!

I have never seen and experienced theft cases as many as in Geneva. Since these thieves are not locals, the police cannot catch them. I was told by the policeman after reporting my first case that they know the thief, but do not know where he lives! That is why I think there should be more civilian clothesed police. As a high school student smartly commented: In the Netherland, you never see police when you need them, in Geneva, the police are always there when you do not need them! That is my impression of those Geneva police driving in police cars!

Jen C, Apr 19, 2015 @ 09:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Apr 19, 15 09:38

Part of the reason that you don't need them, on the occasions that they are "driving in police cars" (whatever next!), is that you can see them.  That's the point of having uniforms and clearly marked cars.

Part of the reason that you don't need them, on the occasions that they are "driving in police cars" (whatever next!), is that you can see them.  That's the point of having uniforms and clearly marked cars.

Andy C, Apr 19, 2015 @ 11:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 2413 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form