Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Watch out for hidden fees for food delivery service!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Watch out for hidden fees for food delivery service!

Tonight I was looking for Thai food delivery and found a website called "Smart Food 2 You" (smood2u.ch). I was thrilled and placed my order, which works similarly to the Cleoo delivery site. The total for my order, according to the site, was 42 CHF.. When I received the delivery about 1h 45 later, and paid, I thought it sounded higher than what I had seen, but since I didn't remember precisely I didn't want to argue with the delivery guy and paid the 53 CHF he said I owed. When I got back to my flat, I checked the order confirmation, and sure enough it said 42 CHF. So I called Smood2u, who seemed all to familiar with this scenario - "You think you overpaid?" Yes... "Yes, please open the email we sent you, it explains the additional charges..." So I opened the email, which sure enough said I would be charged 11 CHF (!!!) for a delivery fee. This was NOT shown before I placed the order, and I certainly would not have placed the order knowing such an outrageous fee would be charged. 

Just a word of warning, they have some more restaurant options than Cleoo but I really did not appreciate the hidden fees. Should be much more clear/explicit before you place an order.

mp413

The text you are quoting:

Tonight I was looking for Thai food delivery and found a website called "Smart Food 2 You" (smood2u.ch). I was thrilled and placed my order, which works similarly to the Cleoo delivery site. The total for my order, according to the site, was 42 CHF.. When I received the delivery about 1h 45 later, and paid, I thought it sounded higher than what I had seen, but since I didn't remember precisely I didn't want to argue with the delivery guy and paid the 53 CHF he said I owed. When I got back to my flat, I checked the order confirmation, and sure enough it said 42 CHF. So I called Smood2u, who seemed all to familiar with this scenario - "You think you overpaid?" Yes... "Yes, please open the email we sent you, it explains the additional charges..." So I opened the email, which sure enough said I would be charged 11 CHF (!!!) for a delivery fee. This was NOT shown before I placed the order, and I certainly would not have placed the order knowing such an outrageous fee would be charged. 

Just a word of warning, they have some more restaurant options than Cleoo but I really did not appreciate the hidden fees. Should be much more clear/explicit before you place an order.

mp413

m pomsMar 8, 2013 @ 22:36
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 2102 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Watch out for hidden fees for food delivery service!
Post 1

It's completely fine for restaurants to charge for delivery, but it's not normal for them not to mention it on the phone and then to put it in the confirmation e-mail. 

But frankly you're partly to blame because you accepted the food. If this would happen to me I'd just refuse to accepted the food. 

Anyway, lesson learned, don't order there again. With this kind of tactics I don't expect the restaurant to do well for long.

It's completely fine for restaurants to charge for delivery, but it's not normal for them not to mention it on the phone and then to put it in the confirmation e-mail. 

But frankly you're partly to blame because you accepted the food. If this would happen to me I'd just refuse to accepted the food. 

Anyway, lesson learned, don't order there again. With this kind of tactics I don't expect the restaurant to do well for long.

Edward B, Mar 8, 2013 @ 22:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

You are right - it was my fault for accepting the food, and for thinking I had made a mistake in price, rather than questioning why it seemed higher than I had expected!

Just one note for the benefit of others, this is not one restaurant - it is a website that handles delivery for a range of restaurants!  It works well if you want to pay 11 CHF for delivery, but other similar websites don't charge anything...

You are right - it was my fault for accepting the food, and for thinking I had made a mistake in price, rather than questioning why it seemed higher than I had expected!

Just one note for the benefit of others, this is not one restaurant - it is a website that handles delivery for a range of restaurants!  It works well if you want to pay 11 CHF for delivery, but other similar websites don't charge anything...

m poms, Mar 8, 2013 @ 22:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

As I said if they inform you of the 11CHF charge on the phone (and on the website) there's no problem. 

As I said if they inform you of the 11CHF charge on the phone (and on the website) there's no problem. 

Edward B, Mar 8, 2013 @ 23:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I think 11chf is not bad .. If you asked me to go get it for you I'd charge you at least 50chf to get off my backside :)

Coop charge (i think) 18chf for delivery.

I think 11chf is not bad .. If you asked me to go get it for you I'd charge you at least 50chf to get off my backside :)

Coop charge (i think) 18chf for delivery.

John H, Mar 9, 2013 @ 14:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I always use Venezvite.com. Simular business, but I find it much more userfriendly and it always shows you what the delivery fee is before "checking out".... I think its between 5-10 chf depending on how far away you are.

I always use Venezvite.com. Simular business, but I find it much more userfriendly and it always shows you what the delivery fee is before "checking out".... I think its between 5-10 chf depending on how far away you are.

Andrew S, Jul 27, 2013 @ 20:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey guys! You should try venezvite.com You put in your address and it gives you a curated list of restaurants to order from. You order and pay online (it's a secured site) and your food is delieverd in 45minutes -1hr depending on how far you are from the restaurant of course!

It's super fast and easy to use.

Hey guys! You should try venezvite.com You put in your address and it gives you a curated list of restaurants to order from. You order and pay online (it's a secured site) and your food is delieverd in 45minutes -1hr depending on how far you are from the restaurant of course!

It's super fast and easy to use.

Addia Cooper-Henry, Jul 27, 2013 @ 20:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I tried Smood.ch yesterday evening, i choosed an indian restaurant.
It was great, the delivery guy really nice while I him kept waiting 10 minutes because I was under the shower..
Good experience for 10.-  of delivery fees Tongue Out

I tried Smood.ch yesterday evening, i choosed an indian restaurant.
It was great, the delivery guy really nice while I him kept waiting 10 minutes because I was under the shower..
Good experience for 10.-  of delivery fees Tongue Out

Stephanie A, Nov 15, 2017 @ 15:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I order my pizzas at http://latranche.ch/, with delivery usually within 30-45 min, with a 10% off for orders above 30.- and free delivery for orders above 25.- (if I remember well).

When ordering on-line, make sure you follow the process until the end, the last confirm button is not very clear ... (when done, you'll get a confirmation email)

I order my pizzas at http://latranche.ch/, with delivery usually within 30-45 min, with a 10% off for orders above 30.- and free delivery for orders above 25.- (if I remember well).

When ordering on-line, make sure you follow the process until the end, the last confirm button is not very clear ... (when done, you'll get a confirmation email)

Catherine M, Nov 17, 2017 @ 20:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 2102 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form