Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > What to do about neighbours who cry "noise" all the time

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
What to do about neighbours who cry "noise" all the time

The person on the floor below mine is becoming a nuisance. For the second time in two weeks she has come to say that she can't sleep as I'm apparently dragging furniture and walking too noisily which is totally exagerrated and I don't know what to do. She is now threatening to go to the regie and I actually told her to go because I know I'm not guilty.

I have lived in my bulding for 3 and a half years and never has anyone below my floor complained of noise until she showed up two weeks ago. I think she's just looking for problems and I'm really beyond my patience because she could not even let me explain that her claims are exergerrated.

The text you are quoting:

The person on the floor below mine is becoming a nuisance. For the second time in two weeks she has come to say that she can't sleep as I'm apparently dragging furniture and walking too noisily which is totally exagerrated and I don't know what to do. She is now threatening to go to the regie and I actually told her to go because I know I'm not guilty.

I have lived in my bulding for 3 and a half years and never has anyone below my floor complained of noise until she showed up two weeks ago. I think she's just looking for problems and I'm really beyond my patience because she could not even let me explain that her claims are exergerrated.

Nadia JDec 10, 2014 @ 23:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 4547 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: What to do about neighbours who cry "noise" all the time
Post 1

I can't tell you what to do, but I know in my building the noise in the buildings travels sometimes from another flat than you would think.

For instance the  woman in the flat above one of my neighbours came to complain about a drilling noise that was disturbing her baby to me and I directed her to my neighbours, next door to complain.

For me, next door to the noisy neighbour, it was clear where this noise was coming from, but for the flat above them, the sound appeared to come from my flat.

I can't tell you what to do, but I know in my building the noise in the buildings travels sometimes from another flat than you would think.

For instance the  woman in the flat above one of my neighbours came to complain about a drilling noise that was disturbing her baby to me and I directed her to my neighbours, next door to complain.

For me, next door to the noisy neighbour, it was clear where this noise was coming from, but for the flat above them, the sound appeared to come from my flat.

TogJay, Dec 11, 2014 @ 09:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I've just remembered, that what has happened to you happened to  friend of mine. A new neighbour  below complained, and he makes no noise at all.

He invited this new tenant around for a drink, and althought they didn't  actually go, he had no trouble with them after that.

Don't know if that would be a solution for you but it worked for him.

I've just remembered, that what has happened to you happened to  friend of mine. A new neighbour  below complained, and he makes no noise at all.

He invited this new tenant around for a drink, and althought they didn't  actually go, he had no trouble with them after that.

Don't know if that would be a solution for you but it worked for him.

TogJay, Dec 11, 2014 @ 09:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I agree with TogJay, the sound travels way to easy in Geneva buildings.  I had a similar situation, terrible noise in the middle of the night. After about 1h of enduring, I went to talk to my neighbour above, and just to find out that the noise was coming from the neighbour above her, so 2 levels above me.

This being said, Geneva buildings have very bad soundproofing system. It is quite common that even the lightest noises resonate to the neighbour below in an incredible way. I always put carpets and avoid to walk with shoes in the appartment.

I agree with TogJay, the sound travels way to easy in Geneva buildings.  I had a similar situation, terrible noise in the middle of the night. After about 1h of enduring, I went to talk to my neighbour above, and just to find out that the noise was coming from the neighbour above her, so 2 levels above me.

This being said, Geneva buildings have very bad soundproofing system. It is quite common that even the lightest noises resonate to the neighbour below in an incredible way. I always put carpets and avoid to walk with shoes in the appartment.

Denisa H, Dec 11, 2014 @ 10:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

you have a few ways to resolve this. one way is to download the free app for iphone or android - noise decibel meter- and get someone to go into the downstairs apartment while you walk around in your apartment and have them take a reading. that way you will have proof of what is tolerable or not!

you can do the same and have them record the "noise". 

these reults will show if there really is a problem.

you have a few ways to resolve this. one way is to download the free app for iphone or android - noise decibel meter- and get someone to go into the downstairs apartment while you walk around in your apartment and have them take a reading. that way you will have proof of what is tolerable or not!

you can do the same and have them record the "noise". 

these reults will show if there really is a problem.

epicure, Dec 11, 2014 @ 10:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

In my apartment I always hear noise from the upper flat but I never complained. Back home in some buildings carpeting floor is a must to reduce noise. If there is no such law in the building then complaining is totally wrong. You would be dragging the chairs of dining tables and walking (hope not late at night). Let her go to regie, she wont be able to do anything.

In my apartment I always hear noise from the upper flat but I never complained. Back home in some buildings carpeting floor is a must to reduce noise. If there is no such law in the building then complaining is totally wrong. You would be dragging the chairs of dining tables and walking (hope not late at night). Let her go to regie, she wont be able to do anything.

Nasrin J, Dec 11, 2014 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Why don't you get in first and go to the regie to complain about her hassling you ?

Why don't you get in first and go to the regie to complain about her hassling you ?

Jeffery S, Dec 11, 2014 @ 11:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Had similar issues with one particular neighbour who was just being a d1ck. The final straw was when the may a complaint to the regie about the noise on a weekend where we were out the country. 

Regie rang us complaining threatening evcition as it was "Constant" noise or some bollocks we explained we were away sent them proof. Went to see the neighbour carefully explained that we were not there an didnt take kindly to false accusations. No apology from them or anything !!!! Some people really are just spiteful and quite frankly bored with their lives. 

Had similar issues with one particular neighbour who was just being a d1ck. The final straw was when the may a complaint to the regie about the noise on a weekend where we were out the country. 

Regie rang us complaining threatening evcition as it was "Constant" noise or some bollocks we explained we were away sent them proof. Went to see the neighbour carefully explained that we were not there an didnt take kindly to false accusations. No apology from them or anything !!!! Some people really are just spiteful and quite frankly bored with their lives. 

Tim C, Dec 12, 2014 @ 16:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Buy some bagpipes and really give them something to complain about!

Joking aside, I'd agree with Epicure's suggestion of a noise decibel metre. They can't argue with facts.

Buy some bagpipes and really give them something to complain about!

Joking aside, I'd agree with Epicure's suggestion of a noise decibel metre. They can't argue with facts.

Rich, Dec 12, 2014 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I think she has sleeping problems and is looking for someone to put the blame on. What pisses me off is that before she arrived, there was an old couple in the appartment and they always told me that I never bother them.

I can't go to the regie because I'm subletting but I've been here for a long time and the other neighbours told me not to worry as the regie isn't so bothered with the issues in the appartment.

I think she has sleeping problems and is looking for someone to put the blame on. What pisses me off is that before she arrived, there was an old couple in the appartment and they always told me that I never bother them.

I can't go to the regie because I'm subletting but I've been here for a long time and the other neighbours told me not to worry as the regie isn't so bothered with the issues in the appartment.

Nadia J, Dec 14, 2014 @ 20:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

If you're subletting illigally, your priority should be to ensure your neighbor doesn't go to to the Regie. So I'd try to calm her down: invite her over, have a drink with her, assure her that you're a good neighbor and that the noise is not coming from you. 

If you're subletting illigally, your priority should be to ensure your neighbor doesn't go to to the Regie. So I'd try to calm her down: invite her over, have a drink with her, assure her that you're a good neighbor and that the noise is not coming from you. 

Nir Ofek, Dec 15, 2014 @ 10:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I have the same problem, one of my neighbours ( i dont know him/her) sent a complaint to the regi and the regi sent a warn message to me, while I’m pretty sure i didn’t make noise. I live in the apartment with my wife and little daughter of three years. I respond to the regi by asking them to provide me with complaint or at least tell me the times and days the noise was coming from my apartment and is it from TV or furniture or what exactly, so i can find a solution for that. what bothers me most that I’m always out of my apartment sometime for days. i was so angry so i conclude my message to the regi by saying if you don’t provide me with that your message doesn’t help and i will consider myself as i didn’t receive your message because the message was written in general and they like really sure the noise coming from me. I Don’t know what will happen next.

I have the same problem, one of my neighbours ( i dont know him/her) sent a complaint to the regi and the regi sent a warn message to me, while I’m pretty sure i didn’t make noise. I live in the apartment with my wife and little daughter of three years. I respond to the regi by asking them to provide me with complaint or at least tell me the times and days the noise was coming from my apartment and is it from TV or furniture or what exactly, so i can find a solution for that. what bothers me most that I’m always out of my apartment sometime for days. i was so angry so i conclude my message to the regi by saying if you don’t provide me with that your message doesn’t help and i will consider myself as i didn’t receive your message because the message was written in general and they like really sure the noise coming from me. I Don’t know what will happen next.

Abdul Abdul, Dec 30, 2014 @ 10:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

http://ge.ch/bruit/media/bruit-rayons/files/fichiers/documents/regles_bruit_de_voisinage3bis.pdf

http://ge.ch/bruit/media/bruit-rayons/files/fichiers/documents/regles_bruit_de_voisinage3bis.pdf

Reka Y, Dec 31, 2014 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

http://ge.ch/bruit/media/bruit-rayons/files/fichiers/documents/affiche_a4_bruit_pictogrammes_ndegok.pdf

It explains with pictogrammes quite clearly what you should be careful about.

http://ge.ch/bruit/media/bruit-rayons/files/fichiers/documents/affiche_a4_bruit_pictogrammes_ndegok.pdf

It explains with pictogrammes quite clearly what you should be careful about.

Reka Y, Dec 31, 2014 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Dec 30, 14 10:30

Your neighbour will be asked to call the police when you make excessive noise.

if the police comes and they establish that you were indeed making excesssive noise, you will be fined.

The neighbour can ask for a report and send it to the regie.

If this is repeated multiple times, you can be asked to vacate the appartment and leave.

See the pictogrammes - your child might be running up and down, or your wife might be walking with high heals shoes, or you argue in your flat too loud...you never know.

My neighbour is apparently singing drunk from time to time, turns on music at 10 pm and organizes parties with his friends and no matter where I go in the flat I can hear it. Guess you all love when the bass is drumming in your ears when you try to sleep.

If it is only occassional, I do not care but in the last 6 months it became a regular issue and when I went upstairs to ask him to turn the noise down, he turned out to be high on marihuana.

He was bloody luckly that I did not call the police straight away but now I am so fed up that if he continues I will call the police and will inform the regie as well.

Your neighbour will be asked to call the police when you make excessive noise.

if the police comes and they establish that you were indeed making excesssive noise, you will be fined.

The neighbour can ask for a report and send it to the regie.

If this is repeated multiple times, you can be asked to vacate the appartment and leave.

See the pictogrammes - your child might be running up and down, or your wife might be walking with high heals shoes, or you argue in your flat too loud...you never know.

My neighbour is apparently singing drunk from time to time, turns on music at 10 pm and organizes parties with his friends and no matter where I go in the flat I can hear it. Guess you all love when the bass is drumming in your ears when you try to sleep.

If it is only occassional, I do not care but in the last 6 months it became a regular issue and when I went upstairs to ask him to turn the noise down, he turned out to be high on marihuana.

He was bloody luckly that I did not call the police straight away but now I am so fed up that if he continues I will call the police and will inform the regie as well.

Reka Y, Dec 31, 2014 @ 12:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Move to France and leave the neurosis behind. Granted, you can't generalize about the Swiss nor judge them for their way of living if it works for them. But if it does not work for you, move to a place where you fit better. Housing costs are much more reasonable, the food is better and much cheaper, the cultural environment is great and living here you have access to everything in Geneva.

Move to France and leave the neurosis behind. Granted, you can't generalize about the Swiss nor judge them for their way of living if it works for them. But if it does not work for you, move to a place where you fit better. Housing costs are much more reasonable, the food is better and much cheaper, the cultural environment is great and living here you have access to everything in Geneva.

JR M, Dec 31, 2014 @ 21:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Dec 31, 14 21:59

I wasn’t aware that neighbour noise was a Swiss prerogative.  Which means it’s unknown in France?

I wasn’t aware that neighbour noise was a Swiss prerogative.  Which means it’s unknown in France?

Ritchie, Dec 31, 2014 @ 22:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 4547 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form