Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Where to buy a second hand car in Geneva or France?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Where to buy a second hand car in Geneva or France?

Hi 

I need some advice to buy a second hand car in Geneva or in France (ideally), with automatic gear. Can anyone give any advice, where or how (if very complicated?)

Many thanks

The text you are quoting:

Hi 

I need some advice to buy a second hand car in Geneva or in France (ideally), with automatic gear. Can anyone give any advice, where or how (if very complicated?)

Many thanks

Jessica GJan 14, 2017 @ 21:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1240 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Where to buy a second hand car in Geneva or France?
Post 1

Hi Jessica,

There are loads of places where you can find good deals, but before going any further in this I would like to know what kind of car you are looking for and how much do you want to spend on it.

Also, if you are resident in switzerland or france plays a part too. For instance if you buy a second hand GE registered car, and living in France,you will have to declare the car at the customs and pay 20 % vat on the pruchase price of the car, plus not to mention possible 10% on any out of europe built car.. plus the paperwork and MOT to get your premanent french plates..

If you live in Switzerland, there is NO interest importing a car from France, the second hand cars with swiss plates are in much better shape then their french counterparts due to better road conditons and a stricter MOT.

But before all this you might also thing why you need a car? How often will you use it? If for instance it will only be used once in a week or less, you will have to count on the fact that the car battery will go flat in a matter of months, also your fuel pumps will risk to jam up,which end in a complicated mess as your car will need to be hauld into a garage for it to be fixed..

My conclusion is that If you are living in Geneva and you have acces to public trasport, use it, and for the days you need a car use mobility,ch,

With mobility you will not need to pay for parking space, and if your flat has a parking space, maybe you can sublet it for a bit of money. Also no surprise maintenace nor insurances to be paid. Moblity cars have their own parking places Plainpalais, Balexer, Airport etc.

But if you need a car on a daily basis, and you cant live with the option above, send me a message and I'll point you in the right direction.

R.L

Hi Jessica,

There are loads of places where you can find good deals, but before going any further in this I would like to know what kind of car you are looking for and how much do you want to spend on it.

Also, if you are resident in switzerland or france plays a part too. For instance if you buy a second hand GE registered car, and living in France,you will have to declare the car at the customs and pay 20 % vat on the pruchase price of the car, plus not to mention possible 10% on any out of europe built car.. plus the paperwork and MOT to get your premanent french plates..

If you live in Switzerland, there is NO interest importing a car from France, the second hand cars with swiss plates are in much better shape then their french counterparts due to better road conditons and a stricter MOT.

But before all this you might also thing why you need a car? How often will you use it? If for instance it will only be used once in a week or less, you will have to count on the fact that the car battery will go flat in a matter of months, also your fuel pumps will risk to jam up,which end in a complicated mess as your car will need to be hauld into a garage for it to be fixed..

My conclusion is that If you are living in Geneva and you have acces to public trasport, use it, and for the days you need a car use mobility,ch,

With mobility you will not need to pay for parking space, and if your flat has a parking space, maybe you can sublet it for a bit of money. Also no surprise maintenace nor insurances to be paid. Moblity cars have their own parking places Plainpalais, Balexer, Airport etc.

But if you need a car on a daily basis, and you cant live with the option above, send me a message and I'll point you in the right direction.

R.L

Robert L, Jan 15, 2017 @ 05:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Many thanks for your detailed reply Robert, they are very useful indeed!

I have contacted Mobility today, and still need to understand better and clearer, as it seems they do not cover the parking (but asking us to find any parking as normal), and some insurance fee as well...nevertheless I feel they are very friendly and I am interested in knowing them more, in addition are there any other competitors as Mobility? 

Thanks very much again.

I have contacted Mobility today, and still need to understand better and clearer, as it seems they do not cover the parking (but asking us to find any parking as normal), and some insurance fee as well...nevertheless I feel they are very friendly and I am interested in knowing them more, in addition are there any other competitors as Mobility? 

Thanks very much again.

Jessica G, Jan 15, 2017 @ 22:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks very much again.

Jan 15, 17 22:07

No-one will cover parking or insurance for you. It is always the responsibility of the driver. Mobility cars can be parked at the station where you picked it up free of charge. But that is all.

That being said, mobility can be great for short term, local drive vs. taxis but long run and frequent use can be expensive. Not to mention that there are peak times when they are not available or in case you would like to prolong it, you cannot do so, because someone else already booked it right after you.

In case the car breaks down, you may not get a replacement if all other cars are taken.

Mobility can be great if you need it for infrequent, short drives but not for driving around like going to Annecy, Chamonix, Lausanne etc.

You also can look up second hand cars on

www.autoscout24.ch.

No-one will cover parking or insurance for you. It is always the responsibility of the driver. Mobility cars can be parked at the station where you picked it up free of charge. But that is all.

That being said, mobility can be great for short term, local drive vs. taxis but long run and frequent use can be expensive. Not to mention that there are peak times when they are not available or in case you would like to prolong it, you cannot do so, because someone else already booked it right after you.

In case the car breaks down, you may not get a replacement if all other cars are taken.

Mobility can be great if you need it for infrequent, short drives but not for driving around like going to Annecy, Chamonix, Lausanne etc.

You also can look up second hand cars on

www.autoscout24.ch.

Reka Y, Jan 15, 2017 @ 23:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1240 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form