Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Wireless in the laptop - not working

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Wireless in the laptop - not working
Hi,

Suddenly my laptop's wi-fi has stopped working. It's bought in the States and is under warranty. However, before contacting Toshiba I would like to get the advice of IT-literated people if I should check anything else?

Thanks!
The text you are quoting:
Hi,

Suddenly my laptop's wi-fi has stopped working. It's bought in the States and is under warranty. However, before contacting Toshiba I would like to get the advice of IT-literated people if I should check anything else?

Thanks!
ShadowuzJul 27, 2009 @ 03:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 868 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Wireless in the laptop - not working
Post 1
[quote]Hi,

Thanks![/quote]

Hi, as always in this kind of situation, you have to do a few checks, some of them painfully obvious but necessary nevertheless :

1) is the wifi switch turned on (sorry but this is so often the case that it's been switched off inadvertently ...

2) When it is on, does the Wifi indicator light up somewhere on the keyboard ?

If it does, we will have to check the devices later in your operating system.

If the Wifi light stays off, then the Wifi card has perhaps been disabled in the BIOS. Get in the BIOS, if you know how to do that), and disable / reenable the Wireless Network Card (Possibly named Atheros or Intel among other brands)

Let's pick it up with the Wifi indicator lights on :

when you search for available networks, does any network appear ? or none at all ?

If absolutely no network appears, one possibility (it's seldom the case however) is that the antenna cable has gotten unplugged inside the laptop. Before picking up a screwdriver, let's check that the Device is declared in Windows (I assume you have windows ?)

Get into the Device manager, and uninstall the Wireless Networking Card. Let Windows reinstall it by clicking "check for hardware changes".

Check again if you can get a list of networks. Still not OK ?

Then you might need to have some technician (me for example) have a deeper look at it.

Tell me how it goes !

Regards

Yves-Pierre
[quote]Hi,

Thanks![/quote]

Hi, as always in this kind of situation, you have to do a few checks, some of them painfully obvious but necessary nevertheless :

1) is the wifi switch turned on (sorry but this is so often the case that it's been switched off inadvertently ...

2) When it is on, does the Wifi indicator light up somewhere on the keyboard ?

If it does, we will have to check the devices later in your operating system.

If the Wifi light stays off, then the Wifi card has perhaps been disabled in the BIOS. Get in the BIOS, if you know how to do that), and disable / reenable the Wireless Network Card (Possibly named Atheros or Intel among other brands)

Let's pick it up with the Wifi indicator lights on :

when you search for available networks, does any network appear ? or none at all ?

If absolutely no network appears, one possibility (it's seldom the case however) is that the antenna cable has gotten unplugged inside the laptop. Before picking up a screwdriver, let's check that the Device is declared in Windows (I assume you have windows ?)

Get into the Device manager, and uninstall the Wireless Networking Card. Let Windows reinstall it by clicking "check for hardware changes".

Check again if you can get a list of networks. Still not OK ?

Then you might need to have some technician (me for example) have a deeper look at it.

Tell me how it goes !

Regards

Yves-Pierre
sombrerito, Jul 28, 2009 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Wireless in the laptop - not working
Post 2
Many thanks, Yves-Pierre, for your propmt response and valuable advice!

I just followed the last step advice in your response and now my laptop sees the other networks (when crashed, it didn't) and I should just to connect with the security key to my wireless network.

Swisscom tech. support could not the problem even with the remote access to my computer :).

I owe you beer.

Regards,

Shukhrat
Many thanks, Yves-Pierre, for your propmt response and valuable advice!

I just followed the last step advice in your response and now my laptop sees the other networks (when crashed, it didn't) and I should just to connect with the security key to my wireless network.

Swisscom tech. support could not the problem even with the remote access to my computer :).

I owe you beer.

Regards,

Shukhrat

Shadowuz, Jul 29, 2009 @ 02:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 868 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form