Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Working in a Cafe in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Working in a Cafe in Geneva

Hello,

The idea: to create a list of nice cafes/ tearooms in Geneva which have Wifi and where it's pleasant and nice to go sit with a computer... including evenings and weekends..

Any ideas?

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

The idea: to create a list of nice cafes/ tearooms in Geneva which have Wifi and where it's pleasant and nice to go sit with a computer... including evenings and weekends..

Any ideas?

ella123Oct 24, 2010 @ 12:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 8799 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Working in a Cafe in Geneva
Post 1

Any Starbucks, not great but it covers "Café" & Wifi. They do however normally have comfy chairs and give you 1 hour wifi access free.

La Praille food court has wifi internet access, I have never tried it but have seen a lot of people accessing the internet there.

Any Macdonalds - Signup by having a SMS sent to your mobile - No mobile no service.

Outside Geneva:

Chavannes centre at Coppet/Divonne exit from the A1.

The Auberge in Begnins has wifi as well.

Any Starbucks, not great but it covers "Café" & Wifi. They do however normally have comfy chairs and give you 1 hour wifi access free.

La Praille food court has wifi internet access, I have never tried it but have seen a lot of people accessing the internet there.

Any Macdonalds - Signup by having a SMS sent to your mobile - No mobile no service.

Outside Geneva:

Chavannes centre at Coppet/Divonne exit from the A1.

The Auberge in Begnins has wifi as well.

Chris Pettipiere, Oct 26, 2010 @ 23:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

May not be your cup of tea / coffee, but the Airport has 1 hour's free wifi, renewable - and lots of cafes to choose from.  Not exectly quiet though!

May not be your cup of tea / coffee, but the Airport has 1 hour's free wifi, renewable - and lots of cafes to choose from.  Not exectly quiet though!

S99_Geneva, Oct 27, 2010 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Cafe du Sud...free wifi, good cafe also

Cafe du Sud...free wifi, good cafe also

klausule, Oct 27, 2010 @ 18:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

For wi-fi spots in general in Geneva check out:

GeSpot | WiFi Genève - Carte GEspots: hotspot wifi gratuit Genève http://bit.ly/bca74L

For wi-fi spots in general in Geneva check out:

GeSpot | WiFi Genève - Carte GEspots: hotspot wifi gratuit Genève http://bit.ly/bca74L

Jon A, Oct 27, 2010 @ 21:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Oct 27, 10 16:51

Thanks... I was thinking more about a place to sit quietly and working, kind of the contemporary version of what used to be sitting and writing in a cafe, or reading a book...

But it is useful to know that the airport is on the air...

:)

Thanks... I was thinking more about a place to sit quietly and working, kind of the contemporary version of what used to be sitting and writing in a cafe, or reading a book...

But it is useful to know that the airport is on the air...

:)

ella123, Oct 29, 2010 @ 21:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

If you find a nice place to sit and write then let me know, for when I get started writing my best selling novel.  Apparently J K Rowling started writing her first Harry Potter book in such a cafe.  I bought the book with the intention of studying how to write a best seller and in the process make my first million.  I never read it though!  Plan B was to meet and marry J K Rowling - money problems solved!.  That didn't happen either......

If you find a nice place to sit and write then let me know, for when I get started writing my best selling novel.  Apparently J K Rowling started writing her first Harry Potter book in such a cafe.  I bought the book with the intention of studying how to write a best seller and in the process make my first million.  I never read it though!  Plan B was to meet and marry J K Rowling - money problems solved!.  That didn't happen either......

S99_Geneva, Nov 9, 2010 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Nov 9, 10 13:49

hahaha! I bet she was drinking good cup of tea with yummy apple pie that only British can make - that must have effected her briliant writing.

Unfortunately, I can hardly find a good cup of coffee in Geneva that would go perfectly with my book.

I am also searching for such a place and if I find it I'll post it up on here. =)

hahaha! I bet she was drinking good cup of tea with yummy apple pie that only British can make - that must have effected her briliant writing.

Unfortunately, I can hardly find a good cup of coffee in Geneva that would go perfectly with my book.

I am also searching for such a place and if I find it I'll post it up on here. =)

Vedra H, Nov 16, 2010 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

There is a nice little cafe near Bel Air (by all the banks) I can't remember the name.  No wifi though.  The Swiss aren't big on the coffee and wifi thing.  Starbucks has been the best place I can find. 

I'm not anti-Starbucks, I'm just used to it being one of many from independents to other chains.  But, Geneva is not known for it's abundence of choices/options...

There is a nice little cafe near Bel Air (by all the banks) I can't remember the name.  No wifi though.  The Swiss aren't big on the coffee and wifi thing.  Starbucks has been the best place I can find. 

I'm not anti-Starbucks, I'm just used to it being one of many from independents to other chains.  But, Geneva is not known for it's abundence of choices/options...

JMfromTO, Nov 16, 2010 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Remor in Plainpalais has wifi and its a nice place to sit and have coffee or eat :) 

Remor in Plainpalais has wifi and its a nice place to sit and have coffee or eat :) 

Lynn P, Nov 16, 2010 @ 15:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

http://www.wificafespots.com/wifi/city/CH--Geneva

This seems promising. Some of the cafés mentioned above are listed, so perhaps it's decent!

http://www.wificafespots.com/wifi/city/CH--Geneva

This seems promising. Some of the cafés mentioned above are listed, so perhaps it's decent!

Charlie Johnson, May 20, 2013 @ 10:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Nov 16, 10 15:02

Not all Cafe's might have their own wifi, but quite a lot of the centre is covered by the free Geneve de Ville wifi (provided by the city?)...

Not all Cafe's might have their own wifi, but quite a lot of the centre is covered by the free Geneve de Ville wifi (provided by the city?)...

Mark H, May 20, 2013 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

If you can get a 3G data signal, and have a decent smart phone and most importantly a mobile contract with a useful amount of data usage included then it is possible to turn most smartphones into portable wifi hotspots (laptop connects over wifi to phone, phone connects to internet over 3G.... surf away).

This gives you wifi pretty much anywhere urban unless your chosen cafe has ancient thick walls.

If you are not tech savvy you might want to get someone who is to show you how though so they can set a password on the wifi connection or you may end up giving the cafe free wifi not just yourself.

Other thing to consider is battery life....

If you can get a 3G data signal, and have a decent smart phone and most importantly a mobile contract with a useful amount of data usage included then it is possible to turn most smartphones into portable wifi hotspots (laptop connects over wifi to phone, phone connects to internet over 3G.... surf away).

This gives you wifi pretty much anywhere urban unless your chosen cafe has ancient thick walls.

If you are not tech savvy you might want to get someone who is to show you how though so they can set a password on the wifi connection or you may end up giving the cafe free wifi not just yourself.

Other thing to consider is battery life....

Bob P, May 20, 2013 @ 17:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Green Café!

Green Café!

olti o, May 22, 2013 @ 14:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Boreal Coffee Shop. The best coffee in Geneva. I think they have WiFi too, but WiFi or not, you must go for the coffee!

Boreal Coffee Shop. The best coffee in Geneva. I think they have WiFi too, but WiFi or not, you must go for the coffee!

Alma H, May 25, 2013 @ 01:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Yes I went there to do some work but there aren't any outlets. It also felt more like a restaurant to me rather than a cafe where I could sit alone

Yes I went there to do some work but there aren't any outlets. It also felt more like a restaurant to me rather than a cafe where I could sit alone

Hazal Goksu, Jul 6, 2017 @ 11:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

The above post about no outlets is about Remor, not about Boreal sorry I'm new to this 'replying to threads' thing. I also checked out Boreal Coffee and I liked it a lot! Comfy couches, sunlight, good wifi and coffee. There's only one outlet though. 

The above post about no outlets is about Remor, not about Boreal sorry I'm new to this 'replying to threads' thing. I also checked out Boreal Coffee and I liked it a lot! Comfy couches, sunlight, good wifi and coffee. There's only one outlet though. 

Hazal Goksu, Jul 6, 2017 @ 11:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 8799 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form