Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Xmas Turkey

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Xmas Turkey

Home cooked Christmas dinners mean one thing - a big bird on the table with legs in the air (bird of the turkey variety of course...)

And one thing that has been noticeably absent in the supermarkets in Geneva the previous winters are turkeys.  it could always be that I have been looking with my eyes wide shut I admit, but any idea where in the Geneva area (or surrounding France...) it would be possible to get hold of a a turkey come Christmas?  A bit of forward planning with this thread to still give myself enough time to pick one up from the UK if necessary.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

The text you are quoting:

Home cooked Christmas dinners mean one thing - a big bird on the table with legs in the air (bird of the turkey variety of course...)

And one thing that has been noticeably absent in the supermarkets in Geneva the previous winters are turkeys.  it could always be that I have been looking with my eyes wide shut I admit, but any idea where in the Geneva area (or surrounding France...) it would be possible to get hold of a a turkey come Christmas?  A bit of forward planning with this thread to still give myself enough time to pick one up from the UK if necessary.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

essexNov 19, 2014 @ 10:41
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 2004 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Xmas Turkey
Post 1

You can always order them from any butcher.  Halles de Rives are very good, as are Boucherie du Mollard and the small butcher opposite Inglewood near Lady Godivas is exceptional.  They're not particularly cheap from these places however.  Aligro also has them, will be cheaper, they have frozen too.

Plenty of places in France also, try the larger supermarkets or any butchers in towns.   I'm sure someone here can give better advice re French places.

You can always order them from any butcher.  Halles de Rives are very good, as are Boucherie du Mollard and the small butcher opposite Inglewood near Lady Godivas is exceptional.  They're not particularly cheap from these places however.  Aligro also has them, will be cheaper, they have frozen too.

Plenty of places in France also, try the larger supermarkets or any butchers in towns.   I'm sure someone here can give better advice re French places.

royle, Nov 19, 2014 @ 11:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Like Royle said, you will see at all French supermarkets to have fresh turkeys around the first week of december up until Xmas. Swiss supermarkets are about 2 weeks before.

I also will get a turkey for a dinner party of 15 persons, but I am not sure how big a bird I will then need for 15persons. Anyone know?

Turkeys are not cheep, ad 2.5kilo bird cost about EUR 15-20.

Finally, I recall buying a turkey from the Coop Blandonnet for thanksgiving which is always at end of November, I had to first ask to check if they would have some, they seem to cater more and more to the expats :)

Like Royle said, you will see at all French supermarkets to have fresh turkeys around the first week of december up until Xmas. Swiss supermarkets are about 2 weeks before.

I also will get a turkey for a dinner party of 15 persons, but I am not sure how big a bird I will then need for 15persons. Anyone know?

Turkeys are not cheep, ad 2.5kilo bird cost about EUR 15-20.

Finally, I recall buying a turkey from the Coop Blandonnet for thanksgiving which is always at end of November, I had to first ask to check if they would have some, they seem to cater more and more to the expats :)

Dave G, Nov 19, 2014 @ 16:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Anyone know where you can buy at a 'reasonable price' a traditional English christmas pudding? I need also for the dinner, as most attending are English and they all love it.

Anyone know where you can buy at a 'reasonable price' a traditional English christmas pudding? I need also for the dinner, as most attending are English and they all love it.

Dave G, Nov 19, 2014 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Jim's I'm sure.  Cant guarantee a 'reasonable' price though.

Jim's I'm sure.  Cant guarantee a 'reasonable' price though.

royle, Nov 19, 2014 @ 17:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I bought a frozen turkey from Leclerc supermarket (just off the roundabout after Mategnin Douane, Meyrin).  I would think a 12kg turkey will feed 15. If you buy frozen, it will need a couple of days to defrost and cooking time will be in the region of 8 -9 hours. You can buy parsnips (a.k.a. panais) at the Migros supermarket. Check import allowances on poultry.

I bought a frozen turkey from Leclerc supermarket (just off the roundabout after Mategnin Douane, Meyrin).  I would think a 12kg turkey will feed 15. If you buy frozen, it will need a couple of days to defrost and cooking time will be in the region of 8 -9 hours. You can buy parsnips (a.k.a. panais) at the Migros supermarket. Check import allowances on poultry.

Shirley T, Nov 19, 2014 @ 21:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 2004 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form