Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > how is the transportation system in Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
how is the transportation system in Geneva?
hi All,
I would like to know the transportation system in Geneva. Is it arranged based on Zone system, so the farther I go, the higher the price is? Or is there monthly ticket?

I would like to travel daily from Rue du Moleson to Rue de la Bergere. How do I use the public transport and the price?

Please inform the website about this, if any.

Thanks a lot,
Roni
The text you are quoting:
hi All,
I would like to know the transportation system in Geneva. Is it arranged based on Zone system, so the farther I go, the higher the price is? Or is there monthly ticket?

I would like to travel daily from Rue du Moleson to Rue de la Bergere. How do I use the public transport and the price?

Please inform the website about this, if any.

Thanks a lot,
Roni

Roni WAug 15, 2009 @ 13:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1647 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: how is the transportation system in Geneva?
Post 1
 www.tpg.ch

just put the address of where you are and where you want to go and it will give you the nearest stops.

when you get to the bus stop you have to buy a ticket (tout geneve) at  3 CHF which is valid in the whole of geneva for one hour. you get the ticket and get on the bus. you dont show the ticket to the driver. sometimes (almost never) some ticket inspectors get on the bus and you show them your ticket, its really easy and the bus driver will help you if you have no idea what to do :)

www.tpg.ch

just put the address of where you are and where you want to go and it will give you the nearest stops.

when you get to the bus stop you have to buy a ticket (tout geneve) at  3 CHF which is valid in the whole of geneva for one hour. you get the ticket and get on the bus. you dont show the ticket to the driver. sometimes (almost never) some ticket inspectors get on the bus and you show them your ticket, its really easy and the bus driver will help you if you have no idea what to do :)

Maria_, Aug 15, 2009 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Hi Roni,
     Geneva Transportation system is really good although frequency is reduced after 8 in the evening and Sunday. I would advice to buy a monthly pass if you've to travel You need to go to the TPG office at Gare Cornavin to buy the pass. The TPG office is on the left side when you're entering the station building. A monthly pass will cost you 70 CHF. You need to have a photo and an ID proof (Passport) to get the pass first time. This pass is valid in Zone A which covers almost all of Geneva. You can use Bus, Tram and Train as well with this pass within the Geneva city limit and airport.

Cheers!
 Hi Roni,
     Geneva Transportation system is really good although frequency is reduced after 8 in the evening and Sunday. I would advice to buy a monthly pass if you've to travel You need to go to the TPG office at Gare Cornavin to buy the pass. The TPG office is on the left side when you're entering the station building. A monthly pass will cost you 70 CHF. You need to have a photo and an ID proof (Passport) to get the pass first time. This pass is valid in Zone A which covers almost all of Geneva. You can use Bus, Tram and Train as well with this pass within the Geneva city limit and airport.

Cheers!
sandipdutta, Aug 15, 2009 @ 14:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 Hi Sandip,

Thanks for your reply.
What is zone A? Does it cover also Zimeysa station and its surrounding area? I tried to search from tpg.ch, but I couldn't find the network map like normally big cities have (Paris, Berlin).
Do I have to order Halbtax card when commuting only in Geneva?

Cheers, Roni
NB: I have also a friend, named Sandeep... =P

Hi Sandip,

Thanks for your reply.
What is zone A? Does it cover also Zimeysa station and its surrounding area? I tried to search from tpg.ch, but I couldn't find the network map like normally big cities have (Paris, Berlin).
Do I have to order Halbtax card when commuting only in Geneva?

Cheers, Roni
NB: I have also a friend, named Sandeep... =P

Roni W, Aug 15, 2009 @ 14:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hi Maria,

Thanks for the reply.
Are you familiar with Halbtax card? Do I have to order it when commuting only in Geneva?
Please inform also the benefits.
Do you have any other tips for me who will come for the first time in Geneva?
Do you know any money changer with reasonable exchange rate in Geneva?

Sorry if I ask too much...
Roni
Hi Maria,

Thanks for the reply.
Are you familiar with Halbtax card? Do I have to order it when commuting only in Geneva?

Roni

Roni W, Aug 15, 2009 @ 14:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hi Maria,

Thanks for the reply.

Roni

Aug 15, 09 14:42
 Hi :)

Have no idea what a Halbtax card is. If it is the same as demi-tarif we have here is usefull but not on the buses. Any other tips. Yes one big one. Start looking for a flat yesterday if you havent already found one.

As for the city map is on the ticket machines in the bus stops. When you do come here im sure loads of people will help you if you buy them a drink :)
 Hi :)

Have no idea what a Halbtax card is. If it is the same as demi-tarif we have here is usefull but not on the buses. Any other tips. Yes one big one. Start looking for a flat yesterday if you havent already found one.

As for the city map is on the ticket machines in the bus stops. When you do come here im sure loads of people will help you if you buy them a drink :)

Maria_, Aug 15, 2009 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
 An all day ticket is 7 francs - which is handy if you are out and about for more than two hours.
 An all day ticket is 7 francs - which is handy if you are out and about for more than two hours.
patsycat, Aug 18, 2009 @ 12:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
hey all,
thanks for all your responses so far!
That's what I need.
Cheers, Roni
hey all,
thanks for all your responses so far!
That's what I need.
Cheers, Roni

Roni W, Aug 18, 2009 @ 23:22
Your Reply: