Login or Sign Up

Forums in Lausanne > Lausanne > Moving into Switzerland from France on a G Permit

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving into Switzerland from France on a G Permit

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before on this forum. I have taken a look and used the search function but have not been able to find any real answers.

I currently live in Divonne-Les-Bains with my partner who studies at the EPFL. We would like to move to Lausanne but the problem is that my partner is a student and has no income and a B permit, and I on the other hand have the income but a G permit.

We've seen lots of utterly spectacular appartments in Lausanne and want to live there so badly, but we keep hitting brick walls. Our applications seem to be being overlooked due to the fact that I have a G permit. I know competition is more than fearce and I feel our applications are barely being glanced at.

We've put together a solid application with a full copy of my work contract which outlines my sallary and that I am full-time employed. We've also included copies of bank statements to show my sallary entering my bank account. I feel that we're being put at the bottom of every properties list though due to my permit. I'm not able to get a B permit unless I have an address in Switzerland I understand so it's a bit of an impossible situation.

Our other option is looking on forums like this one and speaking with landlords directly to show how genuine and utterly serious we are, but properties listed on here and other forums seem to be few and far between.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this and any suggestions?

I'm currently speaking with a couple of people I know who live in Switzerland to see if they will act as our guarentor, however I'm afraid I don't really know these people that well and feel most awkward even suggesting it.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Will

A hopeful future Lausanner.

The text you are quoting:

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before on this forum. I have taken a look and used the search function but have not been able to find any real answers.

I currently live in Divonne-Les-Bains with my partner who studies at the EPFL. We would like to move to Lausanne but the problem is that my partner is a student and has no income and a B permit, and I on the other hand have the income but a G permit.

We've seen lots of utterly spectacular appartments in Lausanne and want to live there so badly, but we keep hitting brick walls. Our applications seem to be being overlooked due to the fact that I have a G permit. I know competition is more than fearce and I feel our applications are barely being glanced at.

We've put together a solid application with a full copy of my work contract which outlines my sallary and that I am full-time employed. We've also included copies of bank statements to show my sallary entering my bank account. I feel that we're being put at the bottom of every properties list though due to my permit. I'm not able to get a B permit unless I have an address in Switzerland I understand so it's a bit of an impossible situation.

Our other option is looking on forums like this one and speaking with landlords directly to show how genuine and utterly serious we are, but properties listed on here and other forums seem to be few and far between.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this and any suggestions?

I'm currently speaking with a couple of people I know who live in Switzerland to see if they will act as our guarentor, however I'm afraid I don't really know these people that well and feel most awkward even suggesting it.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Will

A hopeful future Lausanner.

Will GlynAug 12, 2014 @ 17:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1484 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving into Switzerland from France on a G Permit
Post 1

It is extremely difficult to obtain a flat in Lausanne regardless of your permit due to the large number of students and expats in the area. Your best option would be to find an independent landlord (an owner)

Check out the website of the Lausanne tourist office that lists available rooms/flats/houses.

Karin

It is extremely difficult to obtain a flat in Lausanne regardless of your permit due to the large number of students and expats in the area. Your best option would be to find an independent landlord (an owner)

Check out the website of the Lausanne tourist office that lists available rooms/flats/houses.

Karin

Karin E, Aug 14, 2014 @ 13:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Oops here is the link: http://www.lausanne-tourisme.ch/hebergement/appartements.html

Oops here is the link: http://www.lausanne-tourisme.ch/hebergement/appartements.html

Karin E, Aug 14, 2014 @ 13:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks for your suggestion Karin. It seems to be a list of properties that the landlord is ideally expecting to rent for a short period of time and charge a premium for that fact. We're looking for somewhere longterm. They're charging over 3,000CHF for the kind of properties which we're viewing for 1,700CHF! Worth a try though :-) the search continues...

Thanks for your suggestion Karin. It seems to be a list of properties that the landlord is ideally expecting to rent for a short period of time and charge a premium for that fact. We're looking for somewhere longterm. They're charging over 3,000CHF for the kind of properties which we're viewing for 1,700CHF! Worth a try though :-) the search continues...

Will Glyn, Aug 14, 2014 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

True, I used the site when I was looking for places to host visiting professors for my former employer. Check on some local websites like Anibis, etc.

True, I used the site when I was looking for places to host visiting professors for my former employer. Check on some local websites like Anibis, etc.

Karin E, Aug 14, 2014 @ 17:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Will

Do you know of the website "Anibis.ch"?

Friends of ours have recently found a beautiful apartment in Vevey because I gave them this link [so I know you are after one in Lausanne, but there are lots available].

Alternatively, you could also try "Petitesannounces" and see what that has to offer.

Good luck!

Will

Do you know of the website "Anibis.ch"?

Friends of ours have recently found a beautiful apartment in Vevey because I gave them this link [so I know you are after one in Lausanne, but there are lots available].

Alternatively, you could also try "Petitesannounces" and see what that has to offer.

Good luck!

sheila c, Aug 15, 2014 @ 14:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Goodness me. We've now applied for 15 properties and have had no success.

I feel completely demorilised as we've seen some fantastic apartments and even been told on a few occassions that the present tenant will recommend us to the landlord!

Where do you think we're going wrong?

- I would think my salary is above average

- We have a guarentor (our current landlord infact!) who works within the UN and has a C permit.

- We've provided: A copy of my permit, passport, work contract, pay slips, french equivilent of office des poursites, a letter of recommendation from my employer, a letter from me explaining a bit about myself, a letter from my current landlord recommending us, a copy of my current insurance and of course the application form for the property! We've also included all the requirements for the guarentor. 

We've even designed a front cover for our applications which show a picture of the property and an outline of its criteria. 

Is there any more we can do? Am I going to have to just keep applying until I go mad? I've driven from Divonne to Lausanne every day for the past 2 weeks! 

Please someone help my sanity! 

Goodness me. We've now applied for 15 properties and have had no success.

I feel completely demorilised as we've seen some fantastic apartments and even been told on a few occassions that the present tenant will recommend us to the landlord!

Where do you think we're going wrong?

- I would think my salary is above average

- We have a guarentor (our current landlord infact!) who works within the UN and has a C permit.

- We've provided: A copy of my permit, passport, work contract, pay slips, french equivilent of office des poursites, a letter of recommendation from my employer, a letter from me explaining a bit about myself, a letter from my current landlord recommending us, a copy of my current insurance and of course the application form for the property! We've also included all the requirements for the guarentor. 

We've even designed a front cover for our applications which show a picture of the property and an outline of its criteria. 

Is there any more we can do? Am I going to have to just keep applying until I go mad? I've driven from Divonne to Lausanne every day for the past 2 weeks! 

Please someone help my sanity! 

Will Glyn, Aug 20, 2014 @ 19:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1484 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form