Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Essential book if you're learning French

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Essential book if you're learning French
If you're trying to learn French, do yourself a favor and run out to get the Bescherelle Complete Guide to Conjugating 12000 French Verbs.

It's incredibly useful, well-organized, and easy to use. I happened upon it at a used-book sale, and can't believe that no one told me about it before! If only I had had this book when I first moved here!
The text you are quoting:
If you're trying to learn French, do yourself a favor and run out to get the Bescherelle Complete Guide to Conjugating 12000 French Verbs.

It's incredibly useful, well-organized, and easy to use. I happened upon it at a used-book sale, and can't believe that no one told me about it before! If only I had had this book when I first moved here!
tiffanyMay 11, 2006 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1394 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Essential book if you're learning French
Post 1
A second one, although not recomended by schools, would be The Complete Merde (author is named Genevieve). A brilliant dictionary and user guide of all the french swear words, rude expressions and picture guide to hand gestures. I found this while living in Paris and it proved far more useful and entertaining than the Hexagon French course I was working from at the time. You'd probably need to order it in the book shop.

Just for fun - A little less useful in Switzerland than in France, I'd also recommend buying Le Haine DVD, getting the french subtitles on and sit down with your paper and pen and having a look at the verlan slang french.

Have fun!!!!!
A second one, although not recomended by schools, would be The Complete Merde (author is named Genevieve). A brilliant dictionary and user guide of all the french swear words, rude expressions and picture guide to hand gestures. I found this while living in Paris and it proved far more useful and entertaining than the Hexagon French course I was working from at the time. You'd probably need to order it in the book shop.

Just for fun - A little less useful in Switzerland than in France, I'd also recommend buying Le Haine DVD, getting the french subtitles on and sit down with your paper and pen and having a look at the verlan slang french.

Have fun!!!!!
Singean, May 14, 2006 @ 15:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Sounds even more useful!
Sounds even more useful!
tiffany, May 15, 2006 @ 21:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks for the recommendation, I just ordered it and look forward to putting it to good use! :)

Another book that has made my French studies much easier is "English Grammar for Students of French" by Jacqueline Morton. It compares English & French grammar and has been an essential book for me. I realize now how little English grammar I know!
Thanks for the recommendation, I just ordered it and look forward to putting it to good use! :)

Another book that has made my French studies much easier is "English Grammar for Students of French" by Jacqueline Morton. It compares English & French grammar and has been an essential book for me. I realize now how little English grammar I know!

Debbie, May 31, 2006 @ 16:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1394 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form