Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Always the same boring questions: schools and housing?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Always the same boring questions: schools and housing?

Hello everyone.

We'll be relocating to Geneva before summer and I need to get as much info as possible about schools and housing in order to get organised. Possibly what I need is lost in the forum somewhere but I can't find it right now.

SCHOOLS: Our girls (15 and 12) are on the British curriculum. My eldest one will take her GCSE's exams in the following months, so we'll need to have a secondary school which will offer A levels. My youngest one will be starting Y8 in Secondary School. This is our 11th move around EMEA region and the girls are quite tired of moving. We need a good school, with great teachers, able to motivate and support them. 

HOUSING: I am looking for either a flat or a house with 3 to 4 bedrooms (better if double), and at least 2 bathrooms. Any idea of good estate agents, reliable and efficient enough "to call back" if they have something interesting enough for their Client, without the need of you chasing them around Switzerland?

Thanks for any help you may offer. Don't worry if don't have time: you can just copy/paste a link and I'll do all the rest. Thanks again so much.

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone.

We'll be relocating to Geneva before summer and I need to get as much info as possible about schools and housing in order to get organised. Possibly what I need is lost in the forum somewhere but I can't find it right now.

SCHOOLS: Our girls (15 and 12) are on the British curriculum. My eldest one will take her GCSE's exams in the following months, so we'll need to have a secondary school which will offer A levels. My youngest one will be starting Y8 in Secondary School. This is our 11th move around EMEA region and the girls are quite tired of moving. We need a good school, with great teachers, able to motivate and support them. 

HOUSING: I am looking for either a flat or a house with 3 to 4 bedrooms (better if double), and at least 2 bathrooms. Any idea of good estate agents, reliable and efficient enough "to call back" if they have something interesting enough for their Client, without the need of you chasing them around Switzerland?

Thanks for any help you may offer. Don't worry if don't have time: you can just copy/paste a link and I'll do all the rest. Thanks again so much.

Sue MMar 31, 2011 @ 20:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 1177 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Always the same boring questions: schools and housing?
Post 1

Hello Sue & advance welcome to Geneva!!

have no precise answers but just a small lead...

go to the GLocals 'Forums Home' and try a Search on the word 'school'
and another on 'relocation'

Hope this helps

cheers!

Hello Sue & advance welcome to Geneva!!

have no precise answers but just a small lead...

go to the GLocals 'Forums Home' and try a Search on the word 'school'
and another on 'relocation'

Hope this helps

cheers!

nomades, Apr 4, 2011 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you Nomades. I'll try this option.

Thank you very much.

Sue

Thank you Nomades. I'll try this option.

Thank you very much.

Sue

Sue M, Apr 4, 2011 @ 21:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Welcome Sue Smile for the schools try 

Ecole Internationale de Genève - International School of Geneva

Institut International de Lancy And AGEP Schools they have english section.

Regards,

Welcome Sue Smile for the schools try 

Ecole Internationale de Genève - International School of Geneva

Institut International de Lancy And AGEP Schools they have english section.

Regards,

Medicis, Apr 4, 2011 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi

For schools:

Geneva International school - Founex

College de Leman - Versoix

British School of Geneva (be prepared that this may be the only one offering A levels)

(all have websites and English speaking people who can answer your questions. Most have places available I would imagine, turn over here is high.)

For a HOUSE..... I would look at the following websites:

www.immostreet.ch

www.homegate.ch

Have a look in both Canton Geneva and also Canton Vaud... do a search that incorporates maybe a 20km radius of Nyon.

A few yrs ago I had a 5 bed / 2 bath + guest loo 200m2 semi detached for chf 5500pm which was considered good value...so be prepared to pay in excess of that!

If you have access to a "relocation agent" via your firm, use it.... and if the firm is prepared to pay towards housing.... you will need it.

Good luck.

Hi

For schools:

Geneva International school - Founex

College de Leman - Versoix

British School of Geneva (be prepared that this may be the only one offering A levels)

(all have websites and English speaking people who can answer your questions. Most have places available I would imagine, turn over here is high.)

For a HOUSE..... I would look at the following websites:

www.immostreet.ch

www.homegate.ch

Have a look in both Canton Geneva and also Canton Vaud... do a search that incorporates maybe a 20km radius of Nyon.

A few yrs ago I had a 5 bed / 2 bath + guest loo 200m2 semi detached for chf 5500pm which was considered good value...so be prepared to pay in excess of that!

If you have access to a "relocation agent" via your firm, use it.... and if the firm is prepared to pay towards housing.... you will need it.

Good luck.

Charlie, Apr 5, 2011 @ 08:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

ps estate agents in switzerland dont call you back if youre renting... they have enough people desperate enough to call them...sorry but the competition for good value places is very very high.... mind you at the expensive end of the housing market it may be different...depends on your budget of course ...money talks walks and sings  here....

ps estate agents in switzerland dont call you back if youre renting... they have enough people desperate enough to call them...sorry but the competition for good value places is very very high.... mind you at the expensive end of the housing market it may be different...depends on your budget of course ...money talks walks and sings  here....

Charlie, Apr 5, 2011 @ 09:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Charlie you are great! Fantastic points, very helpful.

I'll start calling the estate agencies tomorrow.

Schools: I've checked on their websites and I think that the only one offering A levels is actually the British School of Geneva. So I'll stay on this option and get to know them better.

Houses: well, hahaha, where shall we start? I have seen the prices of the houses and they are as expensive as London. What can I say? I hope both the quality and the service are the same. My husband's brief is: the less the better.

What intrigued me were 2 things:

a) the radius...20km. Isn't it too far, considering that the girls will have to go to school and that they should be depending, once more, on their mum's taxi due to their age (16 and 12)? I was thinking of a good central apartment.

b) do you think a relocation agency is a "key tool" in Geneva? I moved quite a lot in the past 15 years, but if you think that I could benefit from an agency, I could try asking my husband if his firm can pay for it. (???!!!)

Last question is: is there's lots of traffic on rush hours?

Thank you very very much for your time and advices!

Have a good night. Take care,

Sue

Charlie you are great! Fantastic points, very helpful.

I'll start calling the estate agencies tomorrow.

Schools: I've checked on their websites and I think that the only one offering A levels is actually the British School of Geneva. So I'll stay on this option and get to know them better.

Houses: well, hahaha, where shall we start? I have seen the prices of the houses and they are as expensive as London. What can I say? I hope both the quality and the service are the same. My husband's brief is: the less the better.

What intrigued me were 2 things:

a) the radius...20km. Isn't it too far, considering that the girls will have to go to school and that they should be depending, once more, on their mum's taxi due to their age (16 and 12)? I was thinking of a good central apartment.

b) do you think a relocation agency is a "key tool" in Geneva? I moved quite a lot in the past 15 years, but if you think that I could benefit from an agency, I could try asking my husband if his firm can pay for it. (???!!!)

Last question is: is there's lots of traffic on rush hours?

Thank you very very much for your time and advices!

Have a good night. Take care,

Sue

Sue M, Apr 5, 2011 @ 21:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thank you Translator, I did not know the existence of these websites!

Wow, I'll need tiem to go through them. Thank you soo much.

The International School of Geneva is out of the question for us, as my daughter wants to do A levels and attend Universities in UK.

Thank you for taking time in searching and posting these links. You have been very kind. :-)

Have a good night and take care,

Sue

Thank you Translator, I did not know the existence of these websites!

Wow, I'll need tiem to go through them. Thank you soo much.

The International School of Geneva is out of the question for us, as my daughter wants to do A levels and attend Universities in UK.

Thank you for taking time in searching and posting these links. You have been very kind. :-)

Have a good night and take care,

Sue

Sue M, Apr 5, 2011 @ 22:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks Medicis. 

Thanks Medicis. 

Sue M, Apr 5, 2011 @ 22:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi Sue

I may be wrong (so worth checking) but all the above schools offer a private bus/coach service to pick up children in outlying areas. Its an affordable cost.

Traffic at rush hour is bad yes, but not compared to the UK or Thailand or Frankfurt. It moves... and you seldom get the 20km tailbacks.

For appartments of size in Geneva... I giggled...sorry... you will get space and size further out... and remember the Swiss transport system is quite good.

So Nyon to Gva takes 15 mins by train.  (by car its 20..and prob 40 at rush hour, going in...coming out is fine except on a Friday, when you get the mountain traffic in winter).

If the kids want to do formal sport (tennis, swimming, riding etc) you'll probably  be better off out of Gva since facilities are less crowded.

Be prepared that houses/ appartments here come with "nothing"... ie you will need to supply your own light fittings and bulbs... most high end ones (its only high end coz of the bedroom count) come with fitted kitchens...

Here you pay for rooms and m2.... more equals more...so if you dont want to be squashed, and dont mind a 20 min drive into Geneva for a nice dinner or show in the evening then look around at perhaps semi detached villas or the more outlying areas. 

The large family appartments in Geneva are mostly taken by either very wealthy, or embassy staff with families, and 5000 to 6000 will probably get you a 3 or 4 bed place, but your m2 will be limited, no guarantee of a balcony or parking..etc etc.. a house/villa semi or detatched is doable at that price too... and there you get more bang for your buck. (im sure the websites will give you an idea of prices and size.) Property here is the biggest single problem for new arrivals...and in almost every case is a shock in terms of size, price and quality.

Just remember Switzerland is a small country, so 20km out of town here is like having a place in Fulham or Wandsworth in London in terms of commute time (actually is prob quicker here) and driving times.

Pretty villages on the Nyon side are , Versiox, Tannay /Mies, Coppet, Founex, Commugny, Celigny, Nyon, Prangins, Gland.... all on the lake side and very commutable from. Outside of Nyon inland you have the likes of Borex and Trelex, and Gingins... all also ok.

In Canton Geneva you have the likes of Russin, Peney, etc which are more countryfied than central down town.

Hi Sue

I may be wrong (so worth checking) but all the above schools offer a private bus/coach service to pick up children in outlying areas. Its an affordable cost.

Traffic at rush hour is bad yes, but not compared to the UK or Thailand or Frankfurt. It moves... and you seldom get the 20km tailbacks.

For appartments of size in Geneva... I giggled...sorry... you will get space and size further out... and remember the Swiss transport system is quite good.

So Nyon to Gva takes 15 mins by train.  (by car its 20..and prob 40 at rush hour, going in...coming out is fine except on a Friday, when you get the mountain traffic in winter).

If the kids want to do formal sport (tennis, swimming, riding etc) you'll probably  be better off out of Gva since facilities are less crowded.

Be prepared that houses/ appartments here come with "nothing"... ie you will need to supply your own light fittings and bulbs... most high end ones (its only high end coz of the bedroom count) come with fitted kitchens...

Here you pay for rooms and m2.... more equals more...so if you dont want to be squashed, and dont mind a 20 min drive into Geneva for a nice dinner or show in the evening then look around at perhaps semi detached villas or the more outlying areas. 

The large family appartments in Geneva are mostly taken by either very wealthy, or embassy staff with families, and 5000 to 6000 will probably get you a 3 or 4 bed place, but your m2 will be limited, no guarantee of a balcony or parking..etc etc.. a house/villa semi or detatched is doable at that price too... and there you get more bang for your buck. (im sure the websites will give you an idea of prices and size.) Property here is the biggest single problem for new arrivals...and in almost every case is a shock in terms of size, price and quality.

Just remember Switzerland is a small country, so 20km out of town here is like having a place in Fulham or Wandsworth in London in terms of commute time (actually is prob quicker here) and driving times.

Pretty villages on the Nyon side are , Versiox, Tannay /Mies, Coppet, Founex, Commugny, Celigny, Nyon, Prangins, Gland.... all on the lake side and very commutable from. Outside of Nyon inland you have the likes of Borex and Trelex, and Gingins... all also ok.

In Canton Geneva you have the likes of Russin, Peney, etc which are more countryfied than central down town.

Charlie, Apr 6, 2011 @ 10:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Charlie you are a true star.

I've told my husband to invite you for a beer once we are over there. (I don't drink a drop!! natural born crazy!)

We truly appreciate your time and your hints.

Take care. 

Sue.

Charlie you are a true star.

I've told my husband to invite you for a beer once we are over there. (I don't drink a drop!! natural born crazy!)

We truly appreciate your time and your hints.

Take care. 

Sue.

Sue M, Apr 6, 2011 @ 15:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 1177 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form