Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Geneva WHO and a young family for 12 months in 2017!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva WHO and a young family for 12 months in 2017!

Hi There,

I am from Australia, but looking at coming to Geneva for 12 months to work at th WHO in 2017 with my 3 young children.

Can anyone give me any advice on school and nursery for my 7 year old and 4 year old, and if my children will have rights to attending the local school on a "B" visa.

How long out will I need to look for a house?  I understand that is quite difficult and expensive!!

I look forward to any advice/tips you can offer me and my family!

Happy Holidays,

Edwina 

The text you are quoting:

Hi There,

I am from Australia, but looking at coming to Geneva for 12 months to work at th WHO in 2017 with my 3 young children.

Can anyone give me any advice on school and nursery for my 7 year old and 4 year old, and if my children will have rights to attending the local school on a "B" visa.

How long out will I need to look for a house?  I understand that is quite difficult and expensive!!

Happy Holidays,

Edwina 

Edwina CoghlanDec 31, 2016 @ 06:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1028 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva WHO and a young family for 12 months in 2017!
Post 1

Please check your Inbox for a p.m.

Best, R.

Please check your Inbox for a p.m.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Dec 31, 2016 @ 22:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Edwina,

Indeed, it can be a challenge finding a place to live in/around Geneva. As much as you can, start looking now, but be aware that many SCAMMERS exist, knowing that newcomers can be naive and knowing how hard it is too find a good place to stay. I've seen lots of examples of apts for rent which have great specs (location, number of rooms, price, etc.) and the scammer offers it for a pittance, asks for deposit/payment up front, and then disappears.

Many people actually end up living across the border in France. It's only 5 minutes away from WHO, *but* depending on your position/level at the WHO, if you get a Carte de Legitimation (basically, a diplomat card), your entire family will, too, but there are limitations for your partner if you decide to live in France. It's all very complicated. Feel free to ask more questions or share more info here to get more precise answers.

If you have a permit to live in Geneva, then local schools is *not* a problem, even if they don't yet speak french. My son arrived when he was 6, spoke not a word of french and they had him with an intensive french class for half the school day. He was fluent a year later.

Edwina,

Indeed, it can be a challenge finding a place to live in/around Geneva. As much as you can, start looking now, but be aware that many SCAMMERS exist, knowing that newcomers can be naive and knowing how hard it is too find a good place to stay. I've seen lots of examples of apts for rent which have great specs (location, number of rooms, price, etc.) and the scammer offers it for a pittance, asks for deposit/payment up front, and then disappears.

Many people actually end up living across the border in France. It's only 5 minutes away from WHO, *but* depending on your position/level at the WHO, if you get a Carte de Legitimation (basically, a diplomat card), your entire family will, too, but there are limitations for your partner if you decide to live in France. It's all very complicated. Feel free to ask more questions or share more info here to get more precise answers.

If you have a permit to live in Geneva, then local schools is *not* a problem, even if they don't yet speak french. My son arrived when he was 6, spoke not a word of french and they had him with an intensive french class for half the school day. He was fluent a year later.

Zonker, Jan 1, 2017 @ 12:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi There,

Happy Holidays,

Edwina 

Dec 31, 16 06:51

I meant coming early 2018!!

I meant coming early 2018!!

Edwina Coghlan, Jan 1, 2017 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

As Zonker said, we have heard about lot of people being scammed trying to find a flat in Geneve before arrival.

You should not send any money to anyone but should visit the appartment/house to rent before you sign anything.

Most of the time people spend a few weeks in temporary housing (often paid for by the employer) before moving into something final.

As Zonker said, we have heard about lot of people being scammed trying to find a flat in Geneve before arrival.

You should not send any money to anyone but should visit the appartment/house to rent before you sign anything.

Most of the time people spend a few weeks in temporary housing (often paid for by the employer) before moving into something final.

Reka Y, Jan 1, 2017 @ 17:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Reka Y, Jan 1, 2017 @ 17:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1560711237511669/?fref=nf

you may find appartments here as well as expats put adds up here, too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1560711237511669/?fref=nf

you may find appartments here as well as expats put adds up here, too.

Reka Y, Jan 1, 2017 @ 17:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1028 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form