Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Get ready Geneva, this Finn is coming to rock!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Get ready Geneva, this Finn is coming to rock!

Hi everyone!

I'm a 25-year-old finnish girl slowly but surely integrating in Geneva. I'm just about to finish my master's degree in bioengineering and currently looking for a position nearby. As I don't have any "daily routines" here yet, I would be more than happy to get to know some people in free time activities :) I like swimming, running, hiking, geocaching, winter sports, watching films, playing playstation... And I'm always interested in trying new things!

I have previously lived in Germany and that language I already master pretty well, but I'm completely lost with French. So if someone has recommendations about language courses or is interested in tandem I'd like to hear ;)

See you around!

-Anna-

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone!

I'm a 25-year-old finnish girl slowly but surely integrating in Geneva. I'm just about to finish my master's degree in bioengineering and currently looking for a position nearby. As I don't have any "daily routines" here yet, I would be more than happy to get to know some people in free time activities :) I like swimming, running, hiking, geocaching, winter sports, watching films, playing playstation... And I'm always interested in trying new things!

I have previously lived in Germany and that language I already master pretty well, but I'm completely lost with French. So if someone has recommendations about language courses or is interested in tandem I'd like to hear ;)

See you around!

-Anna-

Anna AFeb 4, 2015 @ 18:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

21 Replies | 1214 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Get ready Geneva, this Finn is coming to rock!
Post 1

Hey Anna,

its Tini! I just thought I'd text you, cause I am just in the exact same situation as you are. I just graduated, now looking for a job and search for chillo people to do chillo stuff. I have no idea about french, dafür kann ich aber auch extrem gut Deutsch :)

I'm up for coffee or whatever anytime, so just text me if you like.

Tini

Hey Anna,

its Tini! I just thought I'd text you, cause I am just in the exact same situation as you are. I just graduated, now looking for a job and search for chillo people to do chillo stuff. I have no idea about french, dafür kann ich aber auch extrem gut Deutsch :)

I'm up for coffee or whatever anytime, so just text me if you like.

Tini

Christin B, Feb 4, 2015 @ 19:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In terms of language courses I did both Migros and ELFI.

Migros was better at developing conversational French, but ELFI was better at teaching proper writing/reading. I'd recommend ELFI though.

In terms of language courses I did both Migros and ELFI.

Migros was better at developing conversational French, but ELFI was better at teaching proper writing/reading. I'd recommend ELFI though.

CH K, Feb 5, 2015 @ 09:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi there Anna and Christin,

I hope you've been holding on well in Geneva :)

Im a relatively new guy here, just arrived 4 weeks ago and I'm trying to make lots of friends here.

If you guys wanna grab a coffee or take a walk around town (who knows maybe some geocaching?!?) just give me a call.

Hope to hear from you soon :D

Tiago

Hi there Anna and Christin,

I hope you've been holding on well in Geneva :)

Im a relatively new guy here, just arrived 4 weeks ago and I'm trying to make lots of friends here.

If you guys wanna grab a coffee or take a walk around town (who knows maybe some geocaching?!?) just give me a call.

Hope to hear from you soon :D

Tiago

Tiago R, Feb 5, 2015 @ 13:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi guys :)

CH Kim, thanks for the tips about the language courses! I have never studied one word French, so I'm looking for something suitable for complete beginners. I'll check out online more information about those. At the moment im relying on Duolingo.com ;)

Tini, I stalked your profile and saw that you were studying in Denmark, cool! And that you also came here along with your bf ;)

Tiago, you work at CERN? Nice! Of all the international people in Geneva about half seem to work at CERN and the other at the UN ;D I did a science course there back in high-school, but I chose biotechnology over physics as my major :)

I'd definitely be up for coffee and some geocaching ^^ Let's be in touch about more detailed schedule!

Hi guys :)

CH Kim, thanks for the tips about the language courses! I have never studied one word French, so I'm looking for something suitable for complete beginners. I'll check out online more information about those. At the moment im relying on Duolingo.com ;)

Tini, I stalked your profile and saw that you were studying in Denmark, cool! And that you also came here along with your bf ;)

Tiago, you work at CERN? Nice! Of all the international people in Geneva about half seem to work at CERN and the other at the UN ;D I did a science course there back in high-school, but I chose biotechnology over physics as my major :)

I'd definitely be up for coffee and some geocaching ^^ Let's be in touch about more detailed schedule!

Anna A, Feb 5, 2015 @ 15:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I'm a 25-year-old finnish girl slowly but surely integrating in Geneva. I'm just about to finish my master's degree...

So... in short, you are a soon to be finished finnish...

I'm a 25-year-old finnish girl slowly but surely integrating in Geneva. I'm just about to finish my master's degree...

So... in short, you are a soon to be finished finnish...

Casuistik, Feb 5, 2015 @ 15:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Casuistik, you bet that I have never heard that one before ;D

Anna A, Feb 5, 2015 @ 16:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Feb 5, 15 16:04

So better brace yourself for what’s still to come – if you stay with glocals, that is.

So better brace yourself for what’s still to come – if you stay with glocals, that is.

Ritchie, Feb 5, 2015 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

... a finnish doll, but a dolphin, right?

... a finnish doll, but a dolphin, right?

Casuistik, Feb 5, 2015 @ 16:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

For my bad finnish jokes, sue me!

For my bad finnish jokes, sue me!

Casuistik, Feb 5, 2015 @ 16:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

The dolphin was new, I like that! ^^

The dolphin was new, I like that! ^^

Anna A, Feb 5, 2015 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I see... You like dolphins, water... and probably going to the suoming pool too...

I see... You like dolphins, water... and probably going to the suoming pool too...

Casuistik, Feb 5, 2015 @ 17:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Definitely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK_Ts-eBCqo

Definitely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK_Ts-eBCqo

Anna A, Feb 5, 2015 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Casuistik, Feb 6, 2015 @ 00:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Hello guys!!!

I am Elina and I am also new here in Geneva, I arrived a week ago. I am about to start my Master and I am really keen on meeting new people! I am not really into sports but I am open to new experiences Cool

Anna, I was in Finland 3 years ago for an erasmus exchannge!What an amazing country!! I had a very nice time there!!I would really like to visit it again.

So coffee, lunch or whatever, Im in! Text me if you like!

Elina

Hello guys!!!

I am Elina and I am also new here in Geneva, I arrived a week ago. I am about to start my Master and I am really keen on meeting new people! I am not really into sports but I am open to new experiences Cool

Anna, I was in Finland 3 years ago for an erasmus exchannge!What an amazing country!! I had a very nice time there!!I would really like to visit it again.

So coffee, lunch or whatever, Im in! Text me if you like!

Elina

Elina C, Feb 7, 2015 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hello Anna, Christin and Elina,

welcome to Geneva to the three of you. If you want to start knowing new people and you like to enjoy the nightlife, tonight there is the glocals white party: that could be the perfect occasion.
Me and my group of Italian friends, guys and girls, we are going tonight, if some of you will be there as well, we will meet for sure.

Otherwise if you don't manage to come tonight, glocals is organizing a lot of events during the week and drinks night for the new comers.

By the way, I've also spent some months, as an Erasmus student, in that amazing country that is Finland. I was studying in Tampere at TUT: really a fantastic experience.

Hope to meet you at the glocals events.
Moi moi.

Gherardo

Hello Anna, Christin and Elina,

welcome to Geneva to the three of you. If you want to start knowing new people and you like to enjoy the nightlife, tonight there is the glocals white party: that could be the perfect occasion.
Me and my group of Italian friends, guys and girls, we are going tonight, if some of you will be there as well, we will meet for sure.

Otherwise if you don't manage to come tonight, glocals is organizing a lot of events during the week and drinks night for the new comers.

By the way, I've also spent some months, as an Erasmus student, in that amazing country that is Finland. I was studying in Tampere at TUT: really a fantastic experience.

Hope to meet you at the glocals events.
Moi moi.

Gherardo

Gherardo G, Feb 7, 2015 @ 16:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hi Elina and Gherardo!

Happy to hear that there are people with experience about Finnish culture ;)

Tonight I had considered going to the ice skating disco, but I was already cross-country skiing and now I'm too dead for anything :p The white party doesn't really interest me due to the crazy prices (although everything is so expensive here...), and on top to that I have total of zero white clothes with me here atm. But I'm definitely going to the next newbies' drinks night! I already talked about that with Tiago :) But I coudn't find the event in the listing yet... Does anybody know when it is?

See you around!

Hi Elina and Gherardo!

Happy to hear that there are people with experience about Finnish culture ;)

Tonight I had considered going to the ice skating disco, but I was already cross-country skiing and now I'm too dead for anything :p The white party doesn't really interest me due to the crazy prices (although everything is so expensive here...), and on top to that I have total of zero white clothes with me here atm. But I'm definitely going to the next newbies' drinks night! I already talked about that with Tiago :) But I coudn't find the event in the listing yet... Does anybody know when it is?

See you around!

Anna A, Feb 7, 2015 @ 18:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Geocachers of Geneva - UNITE!!! That's cool!

I'm a freelancer, so time is flexible. Let's all meet up  for a coffee or a walk or a cache search?

In any case, be sure to check out the Things To Do every day/week and also to post your own activities. That's the best way to meet people doing things you like.

For instance, there is a weekly Pub Quiz at Mr. Pickwick Pub two stops toward the UN from the train station. It's a really good challenge to start the week off.

Does anyone play volleyball and want to join an evening group? Tuesdays from 20:00-22:00 near the Intercontinental hotel.

Feel free to ask more questions, both here and directly. People are really friendly here.

Geocachers of Geneva - UNITE!!! That's cool!

I'm a freelancer, so time is flexible. Let's all meet up  for a coffee or a walk or a cache search?

In any case, be sure to check out the Things To Do every day/week and also to post your own activities. That's the best way to meet people doing things you like.

For instance, there is a weekly Pub Quiz at Mr. Pickwick Pub two stops toward the UN from the train station. It's a really good challenge to start the week off.

Does anyone play volleyball and want to join an evening group? Tuesdays from 20:00-22:00 near the Intercontinental hotel.

Feel free to ask more questions, both here and directly. People are really friendly here.

Zonker, Feb 8, 2015 @ 09:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Hi Zonker! A cache walk with coffee break sounds good ^^ This week someday? Maybe we can create an event if there are others who would like to come. There are not that many caches within walking distance near the city center though, unless you're a premium member =/

I don't play volleyball but maybe I can give it a shot if people don't mind a total beginner messing around ;) I try to stay updated with the event listing in general too!

Hi Zonker! A cache walk with coffee break sounds good ^^ This week someday? Maybe we can create an event if there are others who would like to come. There are not that many caches within walking distance near the city center though, unless you're a premium member =/

I don't play volleyball but maybe I can give it a shot if people don't mind a total beginner messing around ;) I try to stay updated with the event listing in general too!

Anna A, Feb 9, 2015 @ 12:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hi let me know if u guys are doing something:)

thanks

Hi let me know if u guys are doing something:)

thanks

kenny chan, Feb 10, 2015 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Since I still haven't heard when will the new members drink night be the next time, tomorrow me, Tiago, Elina and some others are going to GIA Drinks in Lord Nelson Pub. Join if you like! :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1535073116761409/?sid_reminder=3116846539662688256

Since I still haven't heard when will the new members drink night be the next time, tomorrow me, Tiago, Elina and some others are going to GIA Drinks in Lord Nelson Pub. Join if you like! :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1535073116761409/?sid_reminder=3116846539662688256

Anna A, Feb 11, 2015 @ 08:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hi Anna i will be in Geneva from march 1st 2015.. lets meet up sometime 

Hi Anna i will be in Geneva from march 1st 2015.. lets meet up sometime 

Muhammad Umer Saleem Bhatti, Feb 12, 2015 @ 07:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
21 Replies | 1214 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form