Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Hello there, new to Geneva and looking for accommodation

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hello there, new to Geneva and looking for accommodation

Hello there,

Just want to say hello to everyone! I am moving to Geneva from England in January as getting a job offer down there - can't wait to be in such a nice city!

I am actively looking for accommodation in the city - from all the threads I have read, I know it would be a big achievement if I could find one. I aim at one-bedroom or two-bedroom flat (equivalant to 3/4 rooms flat??, still trying to figure out how the locals count pieces in a flat Wink ). Either furnished or unfurnished is fine.

Any information to help is highly appreciated!! Thank you!!

The text you are quoting:

Hello there,

Just want to say hello to everyone! I am moving to Geneva from England in January as getting a job offer down there - can't wait to be in such a nice city!

I am actively looking for accommodation in the city - from all the threads I have read, I know it would be a big achievement if I could find one. I aim at one-bedroom or two-bedroom flat (equivalant to 3/4 rooms flat??, still trying to figure out how the locals count pieces in a flat Wink ). Either furnished or unfurnished is fine.

Any information to help is highly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Xinyi LDec 3, 2010 @ 09:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1579 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hello there, new to Geneva and looking for accommodation
Post 1

Hi Xinyi L,

It will be tough. I arrived in August and it took me 2 months even to get an offer of a place (you get so desperate that you end up accepting the first one offered).

If you have trial period in your employment contract a lot of the agents won't even consider you and of those that do, many will ask for an additional guarantee or deposit to cover the rent for the duration of your trial period over and above the usual 2 or 3 month deposit.

These are the websites I found most useful when I was searching:-

http://www.immoscout24.ch/IS24Web/_V2/Search.aspx?cat=1&tab=0&type=1&realty=1&country=1&nav=0&subnav=0&lng=en&wl=1

http://www.homegate.ch/rent/apartment-and-house/canton-geneva/matching-list?mn=ctn_ge&a=default&tab=list&l=default&cid=2059090&an=&incsubs=default&tid=2&fromItem=ctn_ge

http://en.comparis.ch/immobilien/default.aspx

You can also check out the classifieds section of 'glocals'

Good luck!

David

Hi Xinyi L,

It will be tough. I arrived in August and it took me 2 months even to get an offer of a place (you get so desperate that you end up accepting the first one offered).

If you have trial period in your employment contract a lot of the agents won't even consider you and of those that do, many will ask for an additional guarantee or deposit to cover the rent for the duration of your trial period over and above the usual 2 or 3 month deposit.

These are the websites I found most useful when I was searching:-

http://www.immoscout24.ch/IS24Web/_V2/Search.aspx?cat=1&tab=0&type=1&realty=1&country=1&nav=0&subnav=0&lng=en&wl=1

http://www.homegate.ch/rent/apartment-and-house/canton-geneva/matching-list?mn=ctn_ge&a=default&tab=list&l=default&cid=2059090&an=&incsubs=default&tid=2&fromItem=ctn_ge

http://en.comparis.ch/immobilien/default.aspx

You can also check out the classifieds section of 'glocals'

Good luck!

David

David Lloyd, Dec 3, 2010 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your kind reply! I will look into those websites you recommend.

The unusal amount of deposit starts worries me now. What would happen if the probationary period is 5 years? Does it mean really unlikely I can get some place of my own in those 5 years?

Glocals are great! I am looking there, too.

Thanks again. Have a good week!

Xinyi

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your kind reply! I will look into those websites you recommend.

The unusal amount of deposit starts worries me now. What would happen if the probationary period is 5 years? Does it mean really unlikely I can get some place of my own in those 5 years?

Glocals are great! I am looking there, too.

Thanks again. Have a good week!

Xinyi

Xinyi L, Dec 5, 2010 @ 19:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Xinyi,

Normal trial period is 3 months in Geneva but, yes, technically speaking the example you give is correct.

It's not impossible though. I managed to find a place after a couple of months of hard search (be prepared to view 6 or 7 properties per week - and it's rare to get a viewing on a Sunday).

My advice is try to get as much assistance from your employer as possible, whether this is financial assistance, advice or help with talking to agents, etc, it always helps if a French speaking local is involved in the search.

Good luck.

David

Hi Xinyi,

Normal trial period is 3 months in Geneva but, yes, technically speaking the example you give is correct.

It's not impossible though. I managed to find a place after a couple of months of hard search (be prepared to view 6 or 7 properties per week - and it's rare to get a viewing on a Sunday).

My advice is try to get as much assistance from your employer as possible, whether this is financial assistance, advice or help with talking to agents, etc, it always helps if a French speaking local is involved in the search.

Good luck.

David

David Lloyd, Dec 7, 2010 @ 18:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi

What about rooms or places for interns? Everything I have seen so far has either been really expensive or a scam.

what would you recommend I first do when I come to geneva? ie look at Newspaper classifieds?

Merry Christmas Smile

Hi

What about rooms or places for interns? Everything I have seen so far has either been really expensive or a scam.

what would you recommend I first do when I come to geneva? ie look at Newspaper classifieds?

Merry Christmas Smile

isabella s, Dec 24, 2010 @ 19:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Isabella,

I don't really have any experience of accommodation for students or interns but I am aware that the Geneva University website has a link for accommodation that may suit you - flat shares etc.

You can also find many flatshare advetisements in the glocals classified section. Be careful though, there are many scams in the Geneva property market. The best advise I can give is to make sure that you are registered as a tenent with the Regie (the property agent that manages the building - every place has one), as your rights will be severely hampered if you don't.

Be sceptical of sub-lets and NEVER respond to anyone that asks you to send money, for whatever reason by Western Union or other similar money transfer service. It will definitely be a scam. It's ligitimate you will be asked to provide a 2 to 3 month deposit, which will be placed into a designated account in your name. You can usually also usually buy a deposit guarantee if you don't want to place your deposit in cash.

Regards

David

Hi Isabella,

I don't really have any experience of accommodation for students or interns but I am aware that the Geneva University website has a link for accommodation that may suit you - flat shares etc.

You can also find many flatshare advetisements in the glocals classified section. Be careful though, there are many scams in the Geneva property market. The best advise I can give is to make sure that you are registered as a tenent with the Regie (the property agent that manages the building - every place has one), as your rights will be severely hampered if you don't.

Be sceptical of sub-lets and NEVER respond to anyone that asks you to send money, for whatever reason by Western Union or other similar money transfer service. It will definitely be a scam. It's ligitimate you will be asked to provide a 2 to 3 month deposit, which will be placed into a designated account in your name. You can usually also usually buy a deposit guarantee if you don't want to place your deposit in cash.

Regards

David

David Lloyd, Dec 26, 2010 @ 14:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Isabella, David, happy new year!

I originally thought flatshare was the best way for newbies in any places. However it also turns out to be not easy in Geneva. I probably will find an accommodation with the help of local friends - fingers crossed.

Regarding register, I have read some other threads about the importance of registering with a local tenant protection association (or something similar). Is it possible to register with such an association even before entering any tenancy relationship?

Thank you very much for the kind information. Have a happy new year 2011!

Xinyi

Isabella, David, happy new year!

I originally thought flatshare was the best way for newbies in any places. However it also turns out to be not easy in Geneva. I probably will find an accommodation with the help of local friends - fingers crossed.

Regarding register, I have read some other threads about the importance of registering with a local tenant protection association (or something similar). Is it possible to register with such an association even before entering any tenancy relationship?

Thank you very much for the kind information. Have a happy new year 2011!

Xinyi

Xinyi L, Dec 27, 2010 @ 17:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

With regard to the deposit - sign up on Swiss Caution - they're like an insurance agency  but for your deposit - you pay a yearly "premium" of about 230 CHF and they pay the deposit on your behalf. 

There are two "beauties" to this scheme - first you don't have to find 3 months rent as deposit (3 months is standard amongst all the Regie) and secondly you don't need to get involved in any dispute over deposits at the end of the tenancy if you're moving on to something new - Swiss Caution just transfer the deposit to the new Regie and sort it all out for you.  When I moved into my apt, the previous tenant had to wait 6 weeks for the refund of his deposit  - all over not replacing a glass tumbler in the bathroom!!.

Its worth paying the annual premium for the lack of hassle and need of cash up front. 

Good luck! - PS - if you come into the canton of Vaud (from Coppet East) you will find rents a lot less expensive with not so much competition.

And no - most Regie's aren't interested in  you registering with them until you actually have an apartment to view - then you can request a "Demand de Location" and apply - but it doesn't mean that you are registered - you have to apply/ register every time you go to view an apartment. 

Any old excuse for more paperwork, it seems.  Its not like in the UK where you're "on the books" of an estate agent and they will actively search for you.  There is so much competition here, that the Regie just sit and wait for you (and 100's others) to come to them.

Frustrating, but true. :-)

With regard to the deposit - sign up on Swiss Caution - they're like an insurance agency  but for your deposit - you pay a yearly "premium" of about 230 CHF and they pay the deposit on your behalf. 

There are two "beauties" to this scheme - first you don't have to find 3 months rent as deposit (3 months is standard amongst all the Regie) and secondly you don't need to get involved in any dispute over deposits at the end of the tenancy if you're moving on to something new - Swiss Caution just transfer the deposit to the new Regie and sort it all out for you.  When I moved into my apt, the previous tenant had to wait 6 weeks for the refund of his deposit  - all over not replacing a glass tumbler in the bathroom!!.

Its worth paying the annual premium for the lack of hassle and need of cash up front. 

Good luck! - PS - if you come into the canton of Vaud (from Coppet East) you will find rents a lot less expensive with not so much competition.

And no - most Regie's aren't interested in  you registering with them until you actually have an apartment to view - then you can request a "Demand de Location" and apply - but it doesn't mean that you are registered - you have to apply/ register every time you go to view an apartment. 

Any old excuse for more paperwork, it seems.  Its not like in the UK where you're "on the books" of an estate agent and they will actively search for you.  There is so much competition here, that the Regie just sit and wait for you (and 100's others) to come to them.

Frustrating, but true. :-)

Carolyn C, Dec 27, 2010 @ 19:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1579 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form