Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Hope to be New in Town!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hope to be New in Town!

Hi Everyone!

My boyfriend will be moving out to Geneva in August for about 2 years to work at CERN, and I would really like to join him. I am hoping some of you would have some advice for me.

It would be ideal if I could get a job out there.  I have a university degree in Business/Marketing and currently work in Project Management .  I am an American, but I do speak french.   I was told to look at international not-for-profits, since they are more willing to hire international people.  Has anyone had any luck with this or have any other ideas?

The other option is to go to school in Geneva to get my Masters.  Maybe the University of Geneva for my Masters in Business?  I am not sure of other good universities in the area.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on getting a job or experiences with the University of Geneva!  Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hi Everyone!

My boyfriend will be moving out to Geneva in August for about 2 years to work at CERN, and I would really like to join him. I am hoping some of you would have some advice for me.

It would be ideal if I could get a job out there.  I have a university degree in Business/Marketing and currently work in Project Management .  I am an American, but I do speak french.   I was told to look at international not-for-profits, since they are more willing to hire international people.  Has anyone had any luck with this or have any other ideas?

The other option is to go to school in Geneva to get my Masters.  Maybe the University of Geneva for my Masters in Business?  I am not sure of other good universities in the area.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on getting a job or experiences with the University of Geneva!  Thanks!

Jess SJun 19, 2010 @ 23:37
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 604 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hope to be New in Town!
Post 1

As long as you have the housing taken care of it is a lot easier to apply for jobs etc. here :-)

As long as you have the housing taken care of it is a lot easier to apply for jobs etc. here :-)

Caroline K, Jun 20, 2010 @ 09:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

hi

if you look for a good master i advise you better the university of lausanne which has a better reputation (HEC lausanne). Even better you have the IMD in lausanne. IMD is well known and recognized abroad as well.

hope it will help you!

cheers

sandy

hi

if you look for a good master i advise you better the university of lausanne which has a better reputation (HEC lausanne). Even better you have the IMD in lausanne. IMD is well known and recognized abroad as well.

hope it will help you!

cheers

sandy

110V, Jun 20, 2010 @ 10:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you for the advice!  I started looking into IMD, and it looks great! 

Question about the jobs: what are the chances I would be able to apply and get a job before gettig to Geneva? 

The reason i ask is because I don't want to leave my current job in the USA unless I definitely have something in Geneva, mostly because I would like to have the income to live there. 

I am not sure what the job market looks like there or if culturaly they would like to interview me in person before offering me the job. 

Thanks!

Thank you for the advice!  I started looking into IMD, and it looks great! 

Question about the jobs: what are the chances I would be able to apply and get a job before gettig to Geneva? 

The reason i ask is because I don't want to leave my current job in the USA unless I definitely have something in Geneva, mostly because I would like to have the income to live there. 

I am not sure what the job market looks like there or if culturaly they would like to interview me in person before offering me the job. 

Thanks!

Jess S, Jun 20, 2010 @ 13:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

you 're welcome

look t www.jobup.ch to find open positions in geneva. you have also the agency william elliot which is specialized in marketing position.

i have found my first job in geneva from barcelona so i think it is possible. you might have to travel for the interviews as i did.

good luck

you 're welcome

look t www.jobup.ch to find open positions in geneva. you have also the agency william elliot which is specialized in marketing position.

i have found my first job in geneva from barcelona so i think it is possible. you might have to travel for the interviews as i did.

good luck

110V, Jun 20, 2010 @ 18:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 604 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form