Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > I am on my way to Geneva... and I couldn't be happier!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
I am on my way to Geneva... and I couldn't be happier!

Hi all, 

Dear all, 

My name is Ana, I am Brazilian, and have been living in London for quite a while. 

I am new to glocals, and actually, only this week I heard that I have got a really exciting job opportunity in Geneva!!! It is a dream come true! So, I am packing my bags, leaving my husband and dog behind and getting ready to enjoy this opportunity while it lasts (more precisely December). 

I have heard it is quite difficult to find accommodation in Geneva... I really hope luck will be on my side, and that as soon as I arrive in Geneva I will find a flat with some lovely people to share. If anyone that reads this message could give me any tip/assistance I would be must thankful. As I only have around 4/5 months in Geneva I really do not want to waste too much time searching for accommodation... 

Hope to catch up with you all soon!

The text you are quoting:

Hi all, 

Dear all, 

My name is Ana, I am Brazilian, and have been living in London for quite a while. 

I am new to glocals, and actually, only this week I heard that I have got a really exciting job opportunity in Geneva!!! It is a dream come true! So, I am packing my bags, leaving my husband and dog behind and getting ready to enjoy this opportunity while it lasts (more precisely December). 

I have heard it is quite difficult to find accommodation in Geneva... I really hope luck will be on my side, and that as soon as I arrive in Geneva I will find a flat with some lovely people to share. If anyone that reads this message could give me any tip/assistance I would be must thankful. As I only have around 4/5 months in Geneva I really do not want to waste too much time searching for accommodation... 

Hope to catch up with you all soon!

Ana Paula dJul 25, 2010 @ 23:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1655 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: I am on my way to Geneva... and I couldn't be happier!
Post 1

Hi Ana,

What you have heard is true, it is difficult to find accomodation in Geneva.  I have been actively looking for a room to rent for over a month now and have gotten very little responses back.  Today, I finally got a promising response back from someone:)  The rent is more than what I anticipated to pay, but it is definitely better than being homeless in a place that I'm unfamiliar with.  I don't really have any tips for you, except, don't get discouraged.  I do would like to show you my support.  I will arrive in Geneva next week on Saturday (July 31st).  If I hear of anything, I can let you know.  Also, if you find something, I can check the place out for you to make sure you are dealing with legitimate people and to tell you about the neighborhood, etc.  I hope to be able to give you some good advice when I arrive.   

I wish you the best of luck! 

Nancy

Hi Ana,

What you have heard is true, it is difficult to find accomodation in Geneva.  I have been actively looking for a room to rent for over a month now and have gotten very little responses back.  Today, I finally got a promising response back from someone:)  The rent is more than what I anticipated to pay, but it is definitely better than being homeless in a place that I'm unfamiliar with.  I don't really have any tips for you, except, don't get discouraged.  I do would like to show you my support.  I will arrive in Geneva next week on Saturday (July 31st).  If I hear of anything, I can let you know.  Also, if you find something, I can check the place out for you to make sure you are dealing with legitimate people and to tell you about the neighborhood, etc.  I hope to be able to give you some good advice when I arrive.   

I wish you the best of luck! 

Nancy

Nancy V, Jul 26, 2010 @ 01:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Nancy!

Good luck with your new place! It is worth spending a little more in a place that feels more like "home".  

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try not to get discouraged! I might well change my plans and arrive in Geneva a week earlier than I had in mind. I start my new job on 16th August.... So much to process!

Should we stay in touch? I would love to meet you while I am over there. And certainly I very much look forward to hearing your inside tips!

Ana

Hi Nancy!

Good luck with your new place! It is worth spending a little more in a place that feels more like "home".  

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try not to get discouraged! I might well change my plans and arrive in Geneva a week earlier than I had in mind. I start my new job on 16th August.... So much to process!

Should we stay in touch? I would love to meet you while I am over there. And certainly I very much look forward to hearing your inside tips!

Ana

Ana Paula d, Jul 26, 2010 @ 01:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hey Ana,

Yes, lets definitely stay in touch!  I will forward you my number once I acquire a phone in Geneva.  In the mean time, feel free to ask me any questions on here. 

Best,

Nancy

Hey Ana,

Yes, lets definitely stay in touch!  I will forward you my number once I acquire a phone in Geneva.  In the mean time, feel free to ask me any questions on here. 

Best,

Nancy

Nancy V, Jul 26, 2010 @ 01:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi girls!!

I am in the same situation as you Ana - i.e. comint to Gva in August and in need of accomodation. My only words of wisdom would be - be careful as there are a few scammers around, so dont pay in advance until you have seen the place.

If you are interested in sharing an apartment let me know as this is what I am lookinf at doing and you seem like a responsible and lovely girl :o) (and so am I haha)..

Nancy, it was great to hear that one does actually get a place in the end - it seems as though there are either too many people in gva or not enough housing - either way, finding a place is super frustrating!!!

All the best and hopefully speak to you both :o)

Lina

Hi girls!!

I am in the same situation as you Ana - i.e. comint to Gva in August and in need of accomodation. My only words of wisdom would be - be careful as there are a few scammers around, so dont pay in advance until you have seen the place.

If you are interested in sharing an apartment let me know as this is what I am lookinf at doing and you seem like a responsible and lovely girl :o) (and so am I haha)..

Nancy, it was great to hear that one does actually get a place in the end - it seems as though there are either too many people in gva or not enough housing - either way, finding a place is super frustrating!!!

All the best and hopefully speak to you both :o)

Lina

Lina T, Jul 26, 2010 @ 07:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Nancy is definitely an inspiration for us! I am so happy I got this opportunity to work in Geneva, that I won't let any house hunting spoil my mood... 

Nancy - where did you stay until you found a place to rent? What are you up to in Geneva? 

Lina - I would love to share a place with you. We should definitely keep our options open. Wherever is easier and quicker to settle in. When are you arriving in Geneva? Where are you staying until you rent a place? I am planning to get there by the 13th August and my contract goes until 17th December. 

Ana

Nancy is definitely an inspiration for us! I am so happy I got this opportunity to work in Geneva, that I won't let any house hunting spoil my mood... 

Nancy - where did you stay until you found a place to rent? What are you up to in Geneva? 

Lina - I would love to share a place with you. We should definitely keep our options open. Wherever is easier and quicker to settle in. When are you arriving in Geneva? Where are you staying until you rent a place? I am planning to get there by the 13th August and my contract goes until 17th December. 

Ana

Ana Paula d, Jul 26, 2010 @ 13:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey y'all !

Just a little patching on what Lina said: there's not a few scammers around, there's a whole bunch of them. :-/

I looked for a place for over 2 months, and found all sorts of weirdos: people who would schedule a visit and not open the door, people who advertised a bedroom like it was a studio, ads for open visits in places that had already been rented, and naturally, all sorts of stories about fantastic-looking very cheap apartments being rented by people who lived in Cairo, Budapest, England, Ireland, Colombia and I can't remember where else, and who asked for deposits in advance to be made through Western Union just to send you the key. And there was even one with whom we had a verbal agreement and everything was set, but 3 days before we were going to move, she sent us an email saying she decided to sell the flat.

In the end, I got a small flat in Jonction. Our landlady is roommating in another apartment, and decided to sub-let this one, so she doesn't lose it, since it took her 8 months to find a place before.

So, be careful, and good luck ! :-)

E se precisar de alguma coisa Ana, pode escrever. :-)

E se seu Francês não estiver em dia, não se preocupe, porque desde que me mudei pra cá (há umas 3 semanas, vindo da Dinamarca), ouvi muito mais português e espanhol na rua que qualquer outra língua.

Cheers !

Leo

Hey y'all !

Just a little patching on what Lina said: there's not a few scammers around, there's a whole bunch of them. :-/

I looked for a place for over 2 months, and found all sorts of weirdos: people who would schedule a visit and not open the door, people who advertised a bedroom like it was a studio, ads for open visits in places that had already been rented, and naturally, all sorts of stories about fantastic-looking very cheap apartments being rented by people who lived in Cairo, Budapest, England, Ireland, Colombia and I can't remember where else, and who asked for deposits in advance to be made through Western Union just to send you the key. And there was even one with whom we had a verbal agreement and everything was set, but 3 days before we were going to move, she sent us an email saying she decided to sell the flat.

In the end, I got a small flat in Jonction. Our landlady is roommating in another apartment, and decided to sub-let this one, so she doesn't lose it, since it took her 8 months to find a place before.

So, be careful, and good luck ! :-)

E se precisar de alguma coisa Ana, pode escrever. :-)

E se seu Francês não estiver em dia, não se preocupe, porque desde que me mudei pra cá (há umas 3 semanas, vindo da Dinamarca), ouvi muito mais português e espanhol na rua que qualquer outra língua.

Cheers !

Leo

Leonardo d, Jul 26, 2010 @ 13:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Leo!

Sabe qual é o meu problema? Estou indo para Genebra num contrato de 5 meses. Eu quero poder relaxar e curtir a oportunidade, a cidade, essa vida nova. Ficar de porta em porta procurando lugar é que nao estava nos meus planos. Mas acho que nao vai ter outro jeito...

Enquanto voce estava procurando um lugar para alugar, onde é que voce ficou? Num hotel/albergue, amigos? Quais sao as opçoes?

Vamos nos conhecer quando eu chegar em agosto! O que voce esta fazendo por ai?

Beijao e valeu a dica!

Ana

Leo!

Sabe qual é o meu problema? Estou indo para Genebra num contrato de 5 meses. Eu quero poder relaxar e curtir a oportunidade, a cidade, essa vida nova. Ficar de porta em porta procurando lugar é que nao estava nos meus planos. Mas acho que nao vai ter outro jeito...

Enquanto voce estava procurando um lugar para alugar, onde é que voce ficou? Num hotel/albergue, amigos? Quais sao as opçoes?

Vamos nos conhecer quando eu chegar em agosto! O que voce esta fazendo por ai?

Beijao e valeu a dica!

Ana

Ana Paula d, Jul 26, 2010 @ 14:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Oi Ana,

pois é, eu vou ficar aqui só por 6 meses também. Eu faco meu doutorado na Universidade Técnica da Dinamarca, e me emprestaram pra OMS aqui pra fazer um trabalho que conta como parte do meu projeto.

Eu não tive como ficar em lugar temporário, então realmente só me mudei depois que já tinha conseguido o apartamento. Salário de estudante não é lá essas coisas (minha esposa faz mestrado na Dina tb), então o dinheiro que tínhamos não dava pra pagar o temporário e depois o depósito do definitivo.

Na época, me sugeriram o John Knox Centre como opcão temporária. Parece que é muito bom. Tentei colar a URL aqui pra você, e não funcionou, mas é só jogar o nome no google que a página deles vem em primeiro lugar.

Mantenhamo-nos em contato, então ! Boa mudanca ! :-)

Oi Ana,

pois é, eu vou ficar aqui só por 6 meses também. Eu faco meu doutorado na Universidade Técnica da Dinamarca, e me emprestaram pra OMS aqui pra fazer um trabalho que conta como parte do meu projeto.

Eu não tive como ficar em lugar temporário, então realmente só me mudei depois que já tinha conseguido o apartamento. Salário de estudante não é lá essas coisas (minha esposa faz mestrado na Dina tb), então o dinheiro que tínhamos não dava pra pagar o temporário e depois o depósito do definitivo.

Na época, me sugeriram o John Knox Centre como opcão temporária. Parece que é muito bom. Tentei colar a URL aqui pra você, e não funcionou, mas é só jogar o nome no google que a página deles vem em primeiro lugar.

Mantenhamo-nos em contato, então ! Boa mudanca ! :-)

Leonardo d, Jul 26, 2010 @ 15:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Ah, esqueci de responder. :-P

Eu fiz essas visitas em 3 dias, e fiquei na casa de uns conhecidos de uma amiga. Hoje em dia, eles são meu amigos. :-)

Ah, esqueci de responder. :-P

Eu fiz essas visitas em 3 dias, e fiquei na casa de uns conhecidos de uma amiga. Hoje em dia, eles são meu amigos. :-)

Leonardo d, Jul 26, 2010 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hey Ana,

I arrive in Gva on the 25th of August and will stay for two years :o)

Here is my email, would love to catch up!

[email protected]

xx

Hey Ana,

I arrive in Gva on the 25th of August and will stay for two years :o)

Here is my email, would love to catch up!

[email protected]

xx

Lina T, Jul 27, 2010 @ 04:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1655 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form