Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Introduction to others in IT?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Introduction to others in IT?

Hi folks,

I'm going to be travelling to Geneva this spring from Canada to visit family, and I would like to know if anyone in IT would be interested in having lunch with me? I'm a storage administrator (Netapp, HDS, Brocade) looking to meet others in IT who might be able to talk to me about the job market out there. 

The text you are quoting:

Hi folks,

I'm going to be travelling to Geneva this spring from Canada to visit family, and I would like to know if anyone in IT would be interested in having lunch with me? I'm a storage administrator (Netapp, HDS, Brocade) looking to meet others in IT who might be able to talk to me about the job market out there. 

Basil BOct 18, 2014 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1022 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Introduction to others in IT?
Post 1

There are some Romandie-based Linkedin groups you might try.  I never succeeded in networking with local IT professionals, even after a five year stay.  If your French and your toaster-fu are both strong you might consider checking with the local NetApp reseller/integrators.  Not sure if you're looking to be on the corporate side or the service company side or somewhere else (cloud provider?).

There are some Romandie-based Linkedin groups you might try.  I never succeeded in networking with local IT professionals, even after a five year stay.  If your French and your toaster-fu are both strong you might consider checking with the local NetApp reseller/integrators.  Not sure if you're looking to be on the corporate side or the service company side or somewhere else (cloud provider?).

richardm, Oct 19, 2014 @ 01:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I'm hesitatant about linkedin- I'd like to wait until I've decided (and possibly even lined up a job) before telling my employer :)

Do you know anyone at these companies? If I succeed in getting a lunch group together, would you want to come?

I'm hesitatant about linkedin- I'd like to wait until I've decided (and possibly even lined up a job) before telling my employer :)

Do you know anyone at these companies? If I succeed in getting a lunch group together, would you want to come?

Basil B, Oct 19, 2014 @ 02:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I left Switz in early June.  There's a small chance I'll visit in the winter, though....

I just went through all my 1st degree Linkedin contacts.  I found two people of interest; both involved with NetApp in some way:

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=39032850

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=13616188

We did most of our storage business with BNC and with Bechtle.

As for NetApp end users, the Kudelski Group used to be a NetApp shop but I think they may have ditched most of them by now in favor of 3PAR.  I have some contacts there who could provide an update if you're seriously interested...

I left Switz in early June.  There's a small chance I'll visit in the winter, though....

I just went through all my 1st degree Linkedin contacts.  I found two people of interest; both involved with NetApp in some way:

As for NetApp end users, the Kudelski Group used to be a NetApp shop but I think they may have ditched most of them by now in favor of 3PAR.  I have some contacts there who could provide an update if you're seriously interested...

richardm, Oct 19, 2014 @ 02:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Oct 19, 14 02:12

Absolutely- storage is storage, and if you know people who work with it, I'd love an introduction. Basically, I want to talk to them about who the big employers are, and how seriously they take certifications versus experience (I have no recent certs, but plenty of experience).

Thank you very much!

Absolutely- storage is storage, and if you know people who work with it, I'd love an introduction. Basically, I want to talk to them about who the big employers are, and how seriously they take certifications versus experience (I have no recent certs, but plenty of experience).

Thank you very much!

Basil B, Oct 19, 2014 @ 02:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hello Basil,

Speaking of certificates, please note that it's less a questin of what the employer would accept, but if a work permit application would be approved - please see my reply to Enat from 15th Sep (same rules for Canadians and US citizens):

http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/Jobs-for-U-S-citizens-214305.htm#msg_214730

Hello Basil,

Speaking of certificates, please note that it's less a questin of what the employer would accept, but if a work permit application would be approved - please see my reply to Enat from 15th Sep (same rules for Canadians and US citizens):

http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/Jobs-for-U-S-citizens-214305.htm#msg_214730

Stephanie D, Oct 19, 2014 @ 09:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks Stephanie, but I wouldn't consider moving until I have completed the renaturalization process and gained Swiss citizenship.

Thanks Stephanie, but I wouldn't consider moving until I have completed the renaturalization process and gained Swiss citizenship.

Basil B, Oct 19, 2014 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Basil

I dont know about Geneva but Switzerland has lots of IT people meeting every week. At least I know in Basel as well as Zuerich.

Check the Meetup around Geneva

At least I know that this week we gonna have a meetup with more than 70 people

Theme will be Data Visualisation I think

Good luck

Hi Basil

I dont know about Geneva but Switzerland has lots of IT people meeting every week. At least I know in Basel as well as Zuerich.

Check the Meetup around Geneva

At least I know that this week we gonna have a meetup with more than 70 people

Theme will be Data Visualisation I think

Good luck

Dorothy W, Oct 20, 2014 @ 02:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1022 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form