Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Moving to Geneva: Where's the best place to live?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to Geneva: Where's the best place to live?

Hi there

My name's Adam and i'm moving to Geneva in Feb. I'm looking for somewhere to live at the moment, preferably a flatshare to meet people, and i was wondering where the best place to live is? I'm after a sociable area, quite central, lively, good social scene, where would you recommend and does anyone know of any rooms going?

Thanks

Adam

The text you are quoting:

Hi there

My name's Adam and i'm moving to Geneva in Feb. I'm looking for somewhere to live at the moment, preferably a flatshare to meet people, and i was wondering where the best place to live is? I'm after a sociable area, quite central, lively, good social scene, where would you recommend and does anyone know of any rooms going?

Thanks

Adam

adam shawDec 26, 2009 @ 19:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 5694 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to Geneva: Where's the best place to live?
Post 1

Hi Adam

Finding an apartment or room in Geneva can be tough, so good luck :-)

Will you be using public transport to get around or will you use a car/motorcycle?

Oded

Hi Adam

Finding an apartment or room in Geneva can be tough, so good luck :-)

Will you be using public transport to get around or will you use a car/motorcycle?

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Dec 26, 2009 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It also depends A LOT of where you work and how much time you would like to spend getting to and from work.

I think a good idea would be to find a temporary solution where you could stay for the first time - that gives you time to to find a more permanent solution in an area that fits your needs and mood :-)

It also depends A LOT of where you work and how much time you would like to spend getting to and from work.

I think a good idea would be to find a temporary solution where you could stay for the first time - that gives you time to to find a more permanent solution in an area that fits your needs and mood :-)

Caroline K, Dec 26, 2009 @ 20:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

definately public transport i think. i'll be working on bvd des tranchees near to the parc des bastions but am more than happy to spend time getting to work in favour of a good place to live. I hadn't thought of looking for a temp solution first, maybe that's a good idea. I'm coming over for a weekend in a few weeks and will register with a few estate agents, thanks for the tips!

Adam

definately public transport i think. i'll be working on bvd des tranchees near to the parc des bastions but am more than happy to spend time getting to work in favour of a good place to live. I hadn't thought of looking for a temp solution first, maybe that's a good idea. I'm coming over for a weekend in a few weeks and will register with a few estate agents, thanks for the tips!

Adam

adam shaw, Dec 26, 2009 @ 20:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Registering with a few real estate agents is not enough - you have to go look at the flats, apply - then pray and cross your fingers ;-)

I think I saw more than 30 flats (probably even more than 40) and ended up getting a relocation agent to help me.

I moved 6 times within my first 3 months in Geneva - so enjoy and good luck ;-)

Registering with a few real estate agents is not enough - you have to go look at the flats, apply - then pray and cross your fingers ;-)

I think I saw more than 30 flats (probably even more than 40) and ended up getting a relocation agent to help me.

I moved 6 times within my first 3 months in Geneva - so enjoy and good luck ;-)

Caroline K, Dec 26, 2009 @ 21:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

wow. full of confidence now;-) best make sure i only come out with a few things!

wow. full of confidence now;-) best make sure i only come out with a few things!

adam shaw, Dec 26, 2009 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Sorry, but unfortunately housing in Geneva is REALLY BAD - better you be prepared ;-)

In case you find something sooner than I did which I am sure you will as you dont mind flatshare and lively areas - well then you will have a positive surprise!

(I was a bit more picky as I wanted 4 pieces for my self (and my dog) in a rather quiet area in very specific parts of town hehe)

Sorry, but unfortunately housing in Geneva is REALLY BAD - better you be prepared ;-)

In case you find something sooner than I did which I am sure you will as you dont mind flatshare and lively areas - well then you will have a positive surprise!

(I was a bit more picky as I wanted 4 pieces for my self (and my dog) in a rather quiet area in very specific parts of town hehe)

Caroline K, Dec 26, 2009 @ 22:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

But be carefull with Paquis - there are streets you should absolutely stay out of if you intend to ever sleep - stayed a month in Rue de Monthoux - didnt sleep for a month ;-)

But be carefull with Paquis - there are streets you should absolutely stay out of if you intend to ever sleep - stayed a month in Rue de Monthoux - didnt sleep for a month ;-)

Caroline K, Dec 27, 2009 @ 09:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Definately going to start looking in Paquis in that case, sounds great:-)

Definately going to start looking in Paquis in that case, sounds great:-)

adam shaw, Dec 27, 2009 @ 10:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hello Adam,
I join my predecesors comments... YES, finding a roof in Geneva, even flat-sharing, is a major challenge, but then sometimes luck strikes! Wish it for you!

I would suggest to start visiting the Classified listings of worldradio.ch starting today... it will not be too soon. Also, placing an ad should help. Look at both offered and wanted ...

Otherwise, for location,
Geneva is a lovely and interesting small-big city with no real downtown but various central areas connected to various residential areas by an excellent (swiss...) public transport system. I would say that the average commutting time is some 30 minutes! giving us freedom to find/select a home anywhere in/around Geneva.

The area of parc des Bastions has nearby the main faculties of Univ of Geneva (student's housing); the bank district (alive only during working hours) and the old town (cobblestone streets with commercial and residential old-fashion buildings).

The area of Paquis, by the lake, is indeed a very convenient part of town -next to the main train station, supermarkets and shopping around; and yes, it is the most animated part of town with restaurants from all over the world, English pubsss... and also the red district...

I have lived in Paquis -in the area towards 'Hotel Wilson', away from the red district, and loved it.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck!
Nomade Soul

Hello Adam,
I join my predecesors comments... YES, finding a roof in Geneva, even flat-sharing, is a major challenge, but then sometimes luck strikes! Wish it for you!

I would suggest to start visiting the Classified listings of worldradio.ch starting today... it will not be too soon. Also, placing an ad should help. Look at both offered and wanted ...

Otherwise, for location,
Geneva is a lovely and interesting small-big city with no real downtown but various central areas connected to various residential areas by an excellent (swiss...) public transport system. I would say that the average commutting time is some 30 minutes! giving us freedom to find/select a home anywhere in/around Geneva.

The area of parc des Bastions has nearby the main faculties of Univ of Geneva (student's housing); the bank district (alive only during working hours) and the old town (cobblestone streets with commercial and residential old-fashion buildings).

The area of Paquis, by the lake, is indeed a very convenient part of town -next to the main train station, supermarkets and shopping around; and yes, it is the most animated part of town with restaurants from all over the world, English pubsss... and also the red district...

I have lived in Paquis -in the area towards 'Hotel Wilson', away from the red district, and loved it.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck!
Nomade Soul

nomades, Dec 27, 2009 @ 10:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

ouuupppssss

for the Classifieds I meant to write

... visit/post and ad with glocals.com and worldradio.ch

both are great websites for the English speaking community in Geneva.

cheers

Nomade soul

ouuupppssss

for the Classifieds I meant to write

... visit/post and ad with glocals.com and worldradio.ch

both are great websites for the English speaking community in Geneva.

cheers

Nomade soul

nomades, Dec 27, 2009 @ 11:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Thanks a lot, i havent heard of worldradio so will check them out. Fingers crossed i'll get somewhere sorted in Feb and i can meet you all and say thanks in person:-) cheers

Adam

Thanks a lot, i havent heard of worldradio so will check them out. Fingers crossed i'll get somewhere sorted in Feb and i can meet you all and say thanks in person:-) cheers

Adam

adam shaw, Dec 28, 2009 @ 21:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

HI adam ,

Do you know exactly where you are working?

I have a house with 3 nice daughters and looking for rent one bedroom. so you will have a very nice atmospher with a very nice family...we'are leaving in ferney and there a bus every 15 min to go to geneva.

if you are interested, don't hesitate to contact me.

florence

HI adam ,

Do you know exactly where you are working?

I have a house with 3 nice daughters and looking for rent one bedroom. so you will have a very nice atmospher with a very nice family...we'are leaving in ferney and there a bus every 15 min to go to geneva.

if you are interested, don't hesitate to contact me.

florence

EPAILLY FLORENCE, Dec 30, 2009 @ 10:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 5694 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form