Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Moving to Geneva in January

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to Geneva in January

Hello Glocals!

My boyfriend just got an internship with the UN, so we will be moving to Geneva at the beginning of next year. Currently we're living in Turrialba, Costa Rica but originally we're from Dallas, Texas.

I am looking forward to getting to know people from this website! I'm very excited to start joining the English-French language exchange group and possibly go salsa dancing (even though I am a terrible dancer!)

I have a few questions:

1. How resonable is it for a Non-EU person to live in France and work in Geneva? Would crossing the border every day be terrible?

2. By profession I am an English teacher. I have a TEFL certificate and have taught previously in America, South Korea, Turkey and Costa Rica. How hard would it be for me to get a teaching position in Geneva as an American? Would it be smarter to look into becoming an Au Pair?

3. At this point in our lives, we're not married and I won't have a visa. How long can I stay in the country (living with my boyfriend who will have a visa) before they deport me? Example: In Costa Rica I have to leave the country every 3 months otherwise I get a hefty fine.

Any information you could provide me with would be greatly appreciatedl, or if you're just interested in becoming friends I would love to chat with you. Send me a message any time!

The text you are quoting:

Hello Glocals!

My boyfriend just got an internship with the UN, so we will be moving to Geneva at the beginning of next year. Currently we're living in Turrialba, Costa Rica but originally we're from Dallas, Texas.

I am looking forward to getting to know people from this website! I'm very excited to start joining the English-French language exchange group and possibly go salsa dancing (even though I am a terrible dancer!)

I have a few questions:

1. How resonable is it for a Non-EU person to live in France and work in Geneva? Would crossing the border every day be terrible?

2. By profession I am an English teacher. I have a TEFL certificate and have taught previously in America, South Korea, Turkey and Costa Rica. How hard would it be for me to get a teaching position in Geneva as an American? Would it be smarter to look into becoming an Au Pair?

3. At this point in our lives, we're not married and I won't have a visa. How long can I stay in the country (living with my boyfriend who will have a visa) before they deport me? Example: In Costa Rica I have to leave the country every 3 months otherwise I get a hefty fine.

Any information you could provide me with would be greatly appreciatedl, or if you're just interested in becoming friends I would love to chat with you. Send me a message any time!

Katie CSep 20, 2014 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 743 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to Geneva in January
Post 1

1) The border is fairly easy to cross.  They only make random checks on people, vehicles etc.  Sometimes the police board the bus as is crosses the border but I don't think its common.  When I was in a hotel in France I got checked once in a three week period.  So that would make the probability around 1 in 30.

1) The border is fairly easy to cross.  They only make random checks on people, vehicles etc.  Sometimes the police board the bus as is crosses the border but I don't think its common.  When I was in a hotel in France I got checked once in a three week period.  So that would make the probability around 1 in 30.

Kevin M, Sep 20, 2014 @ 16:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Some borders aren't even manned at all most of the time.

Some borders aren't even manned at all most of the time.

Kevin M, Sep 20, 2014 @ 16:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you so much, Kevin! It seems like it's a little bit cheaper to live in France.

Thank you so much, Kevin! It seems like it's a little bit cheaper to live in France.

Katie C, Sep 21, 2014 @ 16:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Katie,

US citizens are allowed to stay in the Schengen area (incl. Switzerland and France) on visitor status for up to 90 days within any 180 day period without visa. Upon completion of the maximum 90 days, you would have to leave and stay outside the Schengen are for again 90 days.

I hope this helps.

Stephanie

Hi Katie,

US citizens are allowed to stay in the Schengen area (incl. Switzerland and France) on visitor status for up to 90 days within any 180 day period without visa. Upon completion of the maximum 90 days, you would have to leave and stay outside the Schengen are for again 90 days.

I hope this helps.

Stephanie

Stephanie D, Sep 21, 2014 @ 17:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 743 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form