Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Room for one more ? Start your engines ...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Room for one more ? Start your engines ...

Hi glocals,

A bit about me? I'm Johnny. I'm Irish and I'm 28. I like cultural things especially drink and I have always wished I was half the man that my dog thinks I am. I'm not due to arrive/start my new job in GVA until Jan 2011 but I thought I'd have a quick cyber mooch anyway.

Great site! Having read the surprisingly sticky, very real and longest forum thread known to man (started by Mark), I now have a nice new shiny impression of the people and places in Geneva.Thank you all.

I'm really looking forward do meeting up at one of the many events albeit in winter.

So, for now enjoy the summer wherever you spend it. Between now and my arrival I expect I'll be asking lots of silly newbie questions that I'd be most grateful of your help with.

But for now

g'loc al

johnny

The text you are quoting:

Hi glocals,

A bit about me? I'm Johnny. I'm Irish and I'm 28. I like cultural things especially drink and I have always wished I was half the man that my dog thinks I am. I'm not due to arrive/start my new job in GVA until Jan 2011 but I thought I'd have a quick cyber mooch anyway.

Great site! Having read the surprisingly sticky, very real and longest forum thread known to man (started by Mark), I now have a nice new shiny impression of the people and places in Geneva.Thank you all.

I'm really looking forward do meeting up at one of the many events albeit in winter.

So, for now enjoy the summer wherever you spend it. Between now and my arrival I expect I'll be asking lots of silly newbie questions that I'd be most grateful of your help with.

But for now

g'loc al

johnny

John O'DonnellJul 25, 2010 @ 01:53
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 659 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Room for one more ? Start your engines ...
Post 1

Welcome Jonny

Unfortunately Mark's thread was hijacked a little ... I didn't join in coz much was already said & I didn't want my inbox full of random comments. But it was interesting to observe people's own characters come through instead of whether Geneva is a great place or not.

So let me tell you a few of my experiences over the last 1.5 years here:

Late Openings?

Many places "are" open til 2 AM and once in a while some are open til 5 AM. Even on a Sunday there is cafe/bar (also with a basement club) that is open until 2 AM. And there are many others like this.

If there are not thousands of places open til early morning, it is because this is a city with a greater concentration of professionals than London, Paris, NY etc. So there is not enough demand for places that are open extremely late ... those that are, are quiet due to lack of demand ... not a reflection on Geneva.

Excitement for people under 30?

None of those major cities offer such a fantastic mix of winter sports, hiking, water sports, night life, relatively clean & relatively safe environment, fashion, get togethers with interesting (non-psycho :-) strangers and more, like Geneva does.

Yes there are some people who are "age-ist" .. they are in every city. But most people do not draw a distiction here ... go to newbie drinks, mountain biking, Latin dancing, coffee sessions and nobody will say you are too young or too old.I have danced with ladies in their 70's and with young Ladies fresh out of uni. You my friend will not have any problems finding likeminded people here.

There are exceptions everywhere of course ... and you will see that soon enough but it is rare.

Dating?

The vast majority of guys and girls you meet have rewarding careers, are financially independent and a have a great deal of self worth.

OK, traditionally it is the guys that approach the girls (due to our genetic make up & hormones). But the girls here are not traditional girls - thy are not shrinking violets for sure. It is my impression and observation that if you are prepared to commit to a lasting relationship, you "will" meet a larger than average number of potential partners.

Temnporary Stay?

The world is a much smaller place today than it was just 10 or 20 years ago. Almost anyone can afford air travel. If the commitment is there, the two partners will find a way of getting together for the long term and not be concerned with their temporary status in Geneva.

Anyone for Quickies? Tongue out

If on the other hand you (in general terms) are after a quickie Wink ... (yeah which guy doesn't like that! ... & sure, there are 'some' girls who do too) then your chances are much higher in London, Paris, NY and many other places.

Young People Dating?

And contrary to the popular comments, guys & girls of all ages do date. Yes some younger guys get frustrated and that is understandable ... but just like the big cities, you have to 'know' where to go and which crowd/activity is best suited to you and vice versa.

Take Home a CERN Genius? Surprised

If you expect to go to a bar and take home a CERN genius or a UN hotshot, then that's unlikely to happen quicly or regularly. If you join a group of cultured travellers in some activity eg something as simple as a picnic in a park, you will undoubtedly meet some wonderful people who can be potential partners. And you will date someone very interesting ... sure it takes longer to build a relationship than to just go home with someone.

Moaning About Geneva?

I don't expect anyone to leave Geneva just because they air their complaints. I have no idea what's keeping them but I am sure they have good reason. I do wish that things improve for them or that they will find a city that really suits them.

But I do respectfully disagree with much of their complaints. The one that I found to be true is the standard of service ... when minimum wage is CHF20 then the incentive to provide a great service for great tips just isn't there. Labour laws also heavily protect the employees so pressure to perform just isn't there.

Yes this is an expensive city ... but anywere in high demand "is"! And anywhere so small (i.e. size/quantity limits on everything) with so much to offer, is in high demand. Geneva cannot defy the laws of economics. To a large extent "we" make it so .. we have good pay and demand a lot from a limited supply.

Sure there is protectionism for farmers and local industries leading to expensive meat and other local products with little or no foreign competition.

Bored in Geneva?

Personally I am NEVER bored. That word is not in my vocabulary. Even when I have nobody around me, I either read or do something useful for myself. If ever I feel bored (which never happens), I accept that "I" am being boring.

I get off my backside and do something. I start an activity for others to join me or go to someone else's activity(s) thanks to this fabulous website. And I am welcomed with open arms by a whole bunch of exciting and extremely interesting strangers (young & old) who expect nothing but my company ... where in the world can you get that to this extent?

In the End ...

... while nowhere is perfect, Geneva is undoubtedly one of the greatest cities on Earth.

In the end you will see Geneva the way YOU in particular see the world. I truely wish you a great time here ... and I know you will find some fabulous new friends.

How deep your frienships become will depend on YOU coz there are many who can be your lifelong true friends and give back as much as you give them - you just have to find them Wink

Have fun and happy times

B

Welcome Jonny

Unfortunately Mark's thread was hijacked a little ... I didn't join in coz much was already said & I didn't want my inbox full of random comments. But it was interesting to observe people's own characters come through instead of whether Geneva is a great place or not.

So let me tell you a few of my experiences over the last 1.5 years here:

Late Openings?

Many places "are" open til 2 AM and once in a while some are open til 5 AM. Even on a Sunday there is cafe/bar (also with a basement club) that is open until 2 AM. And there are many others like this.

If there are not thousands of places open til early morning, it is because this is a city with a greater concentration of professionals than London, Paris, NY etc. So there is not enough demand for places that are open extremely late ... those that are, are quiet due to lack of demand ... not a reflection on Geneva.

Excitement for people under 30?

None of those major cities offer such a fantastic mix of winter sports, hiking, water sports, night life, relatively clean & relatively safe environment, fashion, get togethers with interesting (non-psycho :-) strangers and more, like Geneva does.

Yes there are some people who are "age-ist" .. they are in every city. But most people do not draw a distiction here ... go to newbie drinks, mountain biking, Latin dancing, coffee sessions and nobody will say you are too young or too old.I have danced with ladies in their 70's and with young Ladies fresh out of uni. You my friend will not have any problems finding likeminded people here.

There are exceptions everywhere of course ... and you will see that soon enough but it is rare.

Dating?

The vast majority of guys and girls you meet have rewarding careers, are financially independent and a have a great deal of self worth.

OK, traditionally it is the guys that approach the girls (due to our genetic make up & hormones). But the girls here are not traditional girls - thy are not shrinking violets for sure. It is my impression and observation that if you are prepared to commit to a lasting relationship, you "will" meet a larger than average number of potential partners.

Temnporary Stay?

The world is a much smaller place today than it was just 10 or 20 years ago. Almost anyone can afford air travel. If the commitment is there, the two partners will find a way of getting together for the long term and not be concerned with their temporary status in Geneva.

Anyone for Quickies? Tongue out

If on the other hand you (in general terms) are after a quickie Wink ... (yeah which guy doesn't like that! ... & sure, there are 'some' girls who do too) then your chances are much higher in London, Paris, NY and many other places.

Young People Dating?

And contrary to the popular comments, guys & girls of all ages do date. Yes some younger guys get frustrated and that is understandable ... but just like the big cities, you have to 'know' where to go and which crowd/activity is best suited to you and vice versa.

Take Home a CERN Genius? Surprised

If you expect to go to a bar and take home a CERN genius or a UN hotshot, then that's unlikely to happen quicly or regularly. If you join a group of cultured travellers in some activity eg something as simple as a picnic in a park, you will undoubtedly meet some wonderful people who can be potential partners. And you will date someone very interesting ... sure it takes longer to build a relationship than to just go home with someone.

Moaning About Geneva?

I don't expect anyone to leave Geneva just because they air their complaints. I have no idea what's keeping them but I am sure they have good reason. I do wish that things improve for them or that they will find a city that really suits them.

But I do respectfully disagree with much of their complaints. The one that I found to be true is the standard of service ... when minimum wage is CHF20 then the incentive to provide a great service for great tips just isn't there. Labour laws also heavily protect the employees so pressure to perform just isn't there.

Yes this is an expensive city ... but anywere in high demand "is"! And anywhere so small (i.e. size/quantity limits on everything) with so much to offer, is in high demand. Geneva cannot defy the laws of economics. To a large extent "we" make it so .. we have good pay and demand a lot from a limited supply.

Sure there is protectionism for farmers and local industries leading to expensive meat and other local products with little or no foreign competition.

Bored in Geneva?

Personally I am NEVER bored. That word is not in my vocabulary. Even when I have nobody around me, I either read or do something useful for myself. If ever I feel bored (which never happens), I accept that "I" am being boring.

I get off my backside and do something. I start an activity for others to join me or go to someone else's activity(s) thanks to this fabulous website. And I am welcomed with open arms by a whole bunch of exciting and extremely interesting strangers (young & old) who expect nothing but my company ... where in the world can you get that to this extent?

In the End ...

... while nowhere is perfect, Geneva is undoubtedly one of the greatest cities on Earth.

In the end you will see Geneva the way YOU in particular see the world. I truely wish you a great time here ... and I know you will find some fabulous new friends.

How deep your frienships become will depend on YOU coz there are many who can be your lifelong true friends and give back as much as you give them - you just have to find them Wink

Have fun and happy times

B

Bizhan, Jul 25, 2010 @ 12:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Bizhan,

WOW! What a warm welcome! Thanks for taking the time. Lots of very useful information there. In fact, if it isn't somewhere already on the site, may I suggest that it would make great content for all new glocals?

I'm married so the dating stuff doesn't personally apply however I could see it being very useful to singles arriving in Geneva.

All the best,

Johnny

Hi Bizhan,

WOW! What a warm welcome! Thanks for taking the time. Lots of very useful information there. In fact, if it isn't somewhere already on the site, may I suggest that it would make great content for all new glocals?

I'm married so the dating stuff doesn't personally apply however I could see it being very useful to singles arriving in Geneva.

All the best,

Johnny

John O'Donnell, Jul 25, 2010 @ 15:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

You are most welcome Johnny. There isn't really a place on Glocals for this sort of material other than in the forums. The site admins sometimes add information in the guides but I doubt if this fits there.

The only other option is to post it in Mark's thread, kickstart an avalanche of comments and watch google go into a tail spin trying capture it all - LOL.

Take care and see you around the lake in a few months

B

You are most welcome Johnny. There isn't really a place on Glocals for this sort of material other than in the forums. The site admins sometimes add information in the guides but I doubt if this fits there.

The only other option is to post it in Mark's thread, kickstart an avalanche of comments and watch google go into a tail spin trying capture it all - LOL.

Take care and see you around the lake in a few months

B

Bizhan, Jul 25, 2010 @ 16:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 659 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form