Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Around the world travel

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Around the world travel
Im planning on starting an 'around the world trip' next summer. Its still in the planning stages but does anyone have any advice they can share? Any recommendations on travel, planning or destinations would be great. Got around a year - maybe longer if I find somewhere I really love.

Thanks

Kirsty

The text you are quoting:
Im planning on starting an 'around the world trip' next summer. Its still in the planning stages but does anyone have any advice they can share? Any recommendations on travel, planning or destinations would be great. Got around a year - maybe longer if I find somewhere I really love.

Thanks

Kirsty
Kirsty175Aug 15, 2008 @ 17:08

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 1853 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Around the world travel
Post 1

Hey Kirsty,

(How are you?)

Check this out: www.localyte.com

It is a web site that works for and with folks from other countries. It helps to connect fun and interesting people around the world. I think you can create a profile and get to know many people who will be able to give you a helpful advice about their home countries.

Also, I would suggest to stay in the hostels while traveling. If you are not picky and are planning to see the world rather than the hotels, staying in the hostels will save you tons of money. (In addition, the hostels are very diverse and you can always meet interesting people of your age).

If you are planning to visit Ukraine, USA, Poland, or Czech, I will be more than happy to answer your questions if you get any.

Good luck:)

Hey Kirsty,

(How are you?)

It is a web site that works for and with folks from other countries. It helps to connect fun and interesting people around the world. I think you can create a profile and get to know many people who will be able to give you a helpful advice about their home countries.

Also, I would suggest to stay in the hostels while traveling. If you are not picky and are planning to see the world rather than the hotels, staying in the hostels will save you tons of money. (In addition, the hostels are very diverse and you can always meet interesting people of your age).

If you are planning to visit Ukraine, USA, Poland, or Czech, I will be more than happy to answer your questions if you get any.

MarineSkova, Aug 15, 2008 @ 17:49

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
[quote]

Hey Kirsty,

(How are you?)

If India is in your destination ,write back to me for any bookings or help 4 I am in my travel business and would happily take care of your needs and would also try to be a good host 4 my guest in my country 4 this country is one of the best destinations in the world for somebody to be in.

BEst of luck for your trip ahead.

[quote]

Hey Kirsty,

(How are you?)

If India is in your destination ,write back to me for any bookings or help 4 I am in my travel business and would happily take care of your needs and would also try to be a good host 4 my guest in my country 4 this country is one of the best destinations in the world for somebody to be in.

BEst of luck for your trip ahead.
arpan, Aug 18, 2008 @ 19:15

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks for the suggestions.....

I am planning on travelling to India but where yet Im not sure. I will be in touch when I decide. Im not going until next summer - so things are still in the planning stage.

Thanks,

Kirsty

Thanks for the suggestions.....

I am planning on travelling to India but where yet Im not sure. I will be in touch when I decide. Im not going until next summer - so things are still in the planning stage.

Thanks,

Kirsty
Kirsty175, Aug 18, 2008 @ 19:33

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hi,  a couple of interesting websites if you want to consider volunteer work on your travels!

http://www.goabroad.com/

http://www.i-to-i.com/

Hi,  a couple of interesting websites if you want to consider volunteer work on your travels!

http://www.goabroad.com/

http://www.i-to-i.com/
mozambique, Aug 18, 2008 @ 19:45

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hi Kirsty,

Southeast Asia should be one of your around the world trip's destinations, for many advantages like cheap living cost and high security (be away from South of Thailand however :crying:)

for continental Southeast Asia, especially Vietnam, I may have good answers for many of your questions if any. The best time to go there is May or October for the rice fields sake.

Wish you good preparation

Cheers

Hi Kirsty,

Southeast Asia should be one of your around the world trip's destinations, for many advantages like cheap living cost and high security (be away from South of Thailand however :crying:)

for continental Southeast Asia, especially Vietnam, I may have good answers for many of your questions if any. The best time to go there is May or October for the rice fields sake.

Wish you good preparation

Cheers
lehuong, Aug 24, 2008 @ 19:18

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Hi Kirsty,

I did a year around the world from Oct 06 to Oct 07. It did take quite a bit of preparation and here are some tips from the top of my head.

A few questions first:

- Travelling solo?

- Your budget? Total and then divide by 365. We did it on $120 per day for 2.

- Look at a map and ask yourself where you would like to go and put pins all over the place for a start. then you get more realistic and remove some.

TIPS:

1. Get a RTW ticket from one of the alliances. It will become quite obvious which one will suit your continents/countries. Roughly 5000 CHF

2. Sleep in hostels, chat with other travellers, read the Thorn Tree forum on Lonelyplanet.com. I never made a reservation except in China and in Russia. Also have a look at www.couchsurfing.com, we stayed a few nights at people's homes for free.

3. Read travel blogs from different sites. Have a look at ours: www.travelpod.com/members/twoinaballoon

4. Buy a few books to prepare. A good one for starters is The Gap Year from Lonely Planet

5. Guides: start buying 2-3 country guides in Switzerland and then buy/trade as you go. Keep in mind that for recent info, you might want to get the latest editions. They are not cheap, even in cheap countries.

6. Backpack: start lookign for one... it will take time to find the one that you like and will want to carry every day ;-) Pack as light as possible. You can buy almost everything on the way, including camping gear. Ship back/sell or give away what you don't need anymore, like cold weather gear etc.

7. Shoes: get a pair of VERY comfy all-round trecking boots. Flip flops

more to come...

And congratulation on deciding to go, you will never forget/regret this choice.

Patrick

Hi Kirsty,

I did a year around the world from Oct 06 to Oct 07. It did take quite a bit of preparation and here are some tips from the top of my head.

A few questions first:

- Travelling solo?

- Your budget? Total and then divide by 365. We did it on $120 per day for 2.

- Look at a map and ask yourself where you would like to go and put pins all over the place for a start. then you get more realistic and remove some.

TIPS:

1. Get a RTW ticket from one of the alliances. It will become quite obvious which one will suit your continents/countries. Roughly 5000 CHF

2. Sleep in hostels, chat with other travellers, read the Thorn Tree forum on Lonelyplanet.com. I never made a reservation except in China and in Russia. Also have a look at www.couchsurfing.com, we stayed a few nights at people's homes for free.

3. Read travel blogs from different sites. Have a look at ours: www.travelpod.com/members/twoinaballoon

4. Buy a few books to prepare. A good one for starters is The Gap Year from Lonely Planet

5. Guides: start buying 2-3 country guides in Switzerland and then buy/trade as you go. Keep in mind that for recent info, you might want to get the latest editions. They are not cheap, even in cheap countries.

6. Backpack: start lookign for one... it will take time to find the one that you like and will want to carry every day ;-) Pack as light as possible. You can buy almost everything on the way, including camping gear. Ship back/sell or give away what you don't need anymore, like cold weather gear etc.

7. Shoes: get a pair of VERY comfy all-round trecking boots. Flip flops

more to come...

And congratulation on deciding to go, you will never forget/regret this choice.

Patrick
Patrick, Aug 26, 2008 @ 19:41

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Thanks for all the advice.......
Thanks for all the advice.......
Kirsty175, Aug 27, 2008 @ 03:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Lots of info on rtw

[url=http://www.travellerspoint.com/][/url]

Keep us posted once you begin.
Lots of info on rtw

[url=http://www.travellerspoint.com/][/url]

Keep us posted once you begin.
sunsh9, Sep 1, 2008 @ 06:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
hi kristy !! ....wish u have an xcellent tour ahead. All i wanted to write is if India is in your list surely let me know for planning for you in your stay in India & neighbourhood.

I'm operating a (tours & travels) business and would most happily be host to my friend in this wonderful country ! ....wish you get back with the sweetest and the best of memories from Inida. Its a wonderful country to be in and perhaps you would like to stay in here too for the rest of ur life ! ... better beware of the love of the land !

hi kristy !! ....wish u have an xcellent tour ahead. All i wanted to write is if India is in your list surely let me know for planning for you in your stay in India & neighbourhood.

I'm operating a (tours & travels) business and would most happily be host to my friend in this wonderful country ! ....wish you get back with the sweetest and the best of memories from Inida. Its a wonderful country to be in and perhaps you would like to stay in here too for the rest of ur life ! ... better beware of the love of the land !
arpan, Sep 4, 2008 @ 19:41

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Definitely check out www.couchsurfing.com. It is GREAT, and the people using the site are real traveling, adventurous types. :-) Let me know if you have any questions about Turkey, India, Thailand, Israel, Greece, Egypt, Italy, US or Morocco... I have spent a lot of time traveling in these areas and would love to help out!

I made a loose plan, and adjusted it as I went. Because I traveled in inexpensive countries, I didn't need to create a structured budget. Also, oneway tickets are super flexible, while RTW tickets may be more restrictive. Depends on your travel style. Write down recommendations from each person in country categories, but really... you just have to go, and blaze your own path.

Bon voyage!!!
Definitely check out www.couchsurfing.com. It is GREAT, and the people using the site are real traveling, adventurous types. :-) Let me know if you have any questions about Turkey, India, Thailand, Israel, Greece, Egypt, Italy, US or Morocco... I have spent a lot of time traveling in these areas and would love to help out!

I made a loose plan, and adjusted it as I went. Because I traveled in inexpensive countries, I didn't need to create a structured budget. Also, oneway tickets are super flexible, while RTW tickets may be more restrictive. Depends on your travel style. Write down recommendations from each person in country categories, but really... you just have to go, and blaze your own path.

Bon voyage!!!
Regzeveg, Sep 15, 2008 @ 15:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Thanks for all the great weblinks and tips - I will take you up on that advice a bit nearer the time....

Kirsty

Thanks for all the great weblinks and tips - I will take you up on that advice a bit nearer the time....

Kirsty
Kirsty175, Sep 15, 2008 @ 16:31

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Hi Kirsty

Great idea, I would love to do that also, but it is not possible for me at the moment.

Look at: www.statravel.ch

They offer special ROUND THE WORLD flight tickets.

Good luck and have fun while planning and travelling.

Ciao

Mia

Hi Kirsty

Great idea, I would love to do that also, but it is not possible for me at the moment.

Look at: www.statravel.ch

They offer special ROUND THE WORLD flight tickets.

Good luck and have fun while planning and travelling.

Ciao

Mia

mirta, Nov 23, 2008 @ 18:55

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 1853 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form