Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Cambodia and Sri Lanka in July

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cambodia and Sri Lanka in July

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice, I'm going to Cambodia during the first two weeks of July and would like people's opinions as to where the best places to visit would be, any accomodation recommendations, etc. Do you think it's necessary to book accomodation before leaving? What do you think is the best way to get around? I'm going on a reasonably tight budget!

I'm then going onto Sri Lanka for the last two weeks of July and would love some advise as to the best places to visit during this part of my trip, baring in mind the weather in July. Do you think it's important to book accomodation before getting there and how would you recommend getting around?

Any advise would be appreciated!

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice, I'm going to Cambodia during the first two weeks of July and would like people's opinions as to where the best places to visit would be, any accomodation recommendations, etc. Do you think it's necessary to book accomodation before leaving? What do you think is the best way to get around? I'm going on a reasonably tight budget!

I'm then going onto Sri Lanka for the last two weeks of July and would love some advise as to the best places to visit during this part of my trip, baring in mind the weather in July. Do you think it's important to book accomodation before getting there and how would you recommend getting around?

Any advise would be appreciated!

frog10May 11, 2014 @ 19:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1491 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cambodia and Sri Lanka in July
Post 1

Hi, 

For Cambodia at this season, seems rainy(short strong but refreshing showers). I've never been in summer time there.. But I don't think it's "high season" well not sure check tripadvisor for exemple.

But as there's not a main celebration at that time, it should be ok for the accomodations and to get good ones for low budget.

If you want more info, it's easier to meet and chat around a drink.

Cheers, 

Lapy

Hi, 

For Cambodia at this season, seems rainy(short strong but refreshing showers). I've never been in summer time there.. But I don't think it's "high season" well not sure check tripadvisor for exemple.

But as there's not a main celebration at that time, it should be ok for the accomodations and to get good ones for low budget.

If you want more info, it's easier to meet and chat around a drink.

Cheers, 

Lapy

loulapo, May 12, 2014 @ 00:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Lapy,

I would love to meet up with you to talk about Cambodia and to get your advise.

When would be best for you?

Catherine

Hi Lapy,

I would love to meet up with you to talk about Cambodia and to get your advise.

When would be best for you?

Catherine

frog10, May 12, 2014 @ 10:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Sri Lanka is lovely. We have been several times now and recently created a google map of some of the locations we have visited and the hotels we have stayed in (all wonderful). Here's the link to our map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zgjQ7xOgt_70.kAJRCssRgbFc - some of these are personal places of interest (family connections) but all the main tourist places in the south are included which hopefully you will find helpful.

We found the best way to get around if you have several people traveling was to hire a driver - it wasn't too expensive, and the added bonus is that you can take your time and change your mind as you go along, while at the same time being safe and having someone to interpret for you if needed. They also know where all the toilet stops are (very difficult to find while traveling if you don't know them). Any good travel agent should be able to provide you with some advice on hiring a driver, we now have our own driver who we can contact direct, but in the past we have dealt with a lady called Anoma Abeywickrema who works at The Travel Club in Colombo. If you are on LinkedIn you can send her a message http://www.linkedin.com/pub/anoma-abeywickrema/22/a21/761 or go through their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/travelclub.srilanka

Good luck!

Sri Lanka is lovely. We have been several times now and recently created a google map of some of the locations we have visited and the hotels we have stayed in (all wonderful). Here's the link to our map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zgjQ7xOgt_70.kAJRCssRgbFc - some of these are personal places of interest (family connections) but all the main tourist places in the south are included which hopefully you will find helpful.

We found the best way to get around if you have several people traveling was to hire a driver - it wasn't too expensive, and the added bonus is that you can take your time and change your mind as you go along, while at the same time being safe and having someone to interpret for you if needed. They also know where all the toilet stops are (very difficult to find while traveling if you don't know them). Any good travel agent should be able to provide you with some advice on hiring a driver, we now have our own driver who we can contact direct, but in the past we have dealt with a lady called Anoma Abeywickrema who works at The Travel Club in Colombo. If you are on LinkedIn you can send her a message http://www.linkedin.com/pub/anoma-abeywickrema/22/a21/761 or go through their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/travelclub.srilanka

Good luck!

Juliane S, May 12, 2014 @ 10:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks so much Juliane. Do you think it's best to book accomodation before we leave?

Which beach area would you recommend during July?

Thanks,

Catherine

Thanks so much Juliane. Do you think it's best to book accomodation before we leave?

Which beach area would you recommend during July?

Thanks,

Catherine

frog10, May 12, 2014 @ 10:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Yes, I think booking accommodation is a good idea. Sri Lankan hotels have a great option called "half board" which means you get a full buffet breakfast and buffet dinner included in your room price (amazing curries) - you just need to ask for it when booking.

The beaches vary during the different seasons but it is usually recommended to go to the south or east coast during monsoon season. Our experience of Sri Lanka in June/July is that the days are usually very warm and fine, but expect a tropical downpour mid afternoon! We didn't swim in the beach, however when we stayed at The Fortress Hotel near Galle (this was a 5 star though, our big luxury for the most recent holiday) the beach had an area that was roped off for swimming. The pool was an infinity pool right next to the beach - so you felt like you were swimming at the beach anyway.

http://www.experiencetravelgroup.com/blog/2013/03/beaches-sri-lanka/

Yes, I think booking accommodation is a good idea. Sri Lankan hotels have a great option called "half board" which means you get a full buffet breakfast and buffet dinner included in your room price (amazing curries) - you just need to ask for it when booking.

The beaches vary during the different seasons but it is usually recommended to go to the south or east coast during monsoon season. Our experience of Sri Lanka in June/July is that the days are usually very warm and fine, but expect a tropical downpour mid afternoon! We didn't swim in the beach, however when we stayed at The Fortress Hotel near Galle (this was a 5 star though, our big luxury for the most recent holiday) the beach had an area that was roped off for swimming. The pool was an infinity pool right next to the beach - so you felt like you were swimming at the beach anyway.

http://www.experiencetravelgroup.com/blog/2013/03/beaches-sri-lanka/

Juliane S, May 12, 2014 @ 10:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi, I am from Sri Lanka and am just back after spending some months there.  Can give you some tips, please send your email or phone number.

Hi, I am from Sri Lanka and am just back after spending some months there.  Can give you some tips, please send your email or phone number.

An L, Jun 4, 2014 @ 10:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1491 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form